Windows 10: cant update windows because of an error

Discus and support cant update windows because of an error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; when trying to update windows I get 0x800f0986 and its beginning to frustrate me to the point I want to switch to mac os, below is a list of what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MoroseHare41442, Apr 18, 2020.

1. cant update windows because of an error

when trying to update windows I get 0x800f0986 and its beginning to frustrate me to the point I want to switch to mac os, below is a list of what I tried

1. I have tried using dism to clean up the startup components didn't work
    2. I have tried using the rem command to generate a new catroot and SoftwareDistrubution folder didn't work
    3. tried deleting the catroot and SoftwareDistrubution folder didn't work
    4. I have tried installing the update manually didn't work
    5. I tried using dism to restore the health of the system didn't work
    6. tried uninstalling unneeded programs didn't work
    7. tried installing the servicing stack update but I already have the latest one installed
    8. I even tried rebooting into safe mode but its stuck on finding the update
    9. checked the device manager for dodgy drivers but I only have the essential ones installed

I have even reset my PC, that didn't work either

im banging my head trying to solve this error, a proper solution isn't even listed anywhere online oh boy and I even tried the solution listed on the Microsoft community that didn't solve my issue either

P.S: When I selected reset my PC, I selected "keep my files" but nothing cant be interfering with the installation

its frustrating me so much that its excuse my French: pissing me off

I don't have a VPN or anything like that on because I never use one with windows 10

ive used windows since 2012 and I haven't had anything tougher than this error

:)

MoroseHare41442, Apr 18, 2020
  2. DaMulta Win User

Who has seen this vista update error

When you go to Windows vista update and it tell you to update a driver that you have already updated. Then it says failed to update and gives you the error code that tell you that you already have a never version than that. WTF? Why in the world would it be trying to updated something with an older driver. Well the only way to get it out of your windows update list is to go uninstall what ever that driver is then run the update and install it. Then run the newer drivers again.

Well I still can't get the Nivida Network Bridge to disappear out of the list. I uninstall the one in device manager and go to the update and before it's even done with that. Vista is automatically installing a newer version than is in the Vista update list.......

DaMulta, Apr 18, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Wombo Win User

cant update windows because of an error

Windows Won't Update? (Error 0x80d0602)

When I get to the step that says del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat, nothing happens.

When I get to step 5 and type in
    • regsvr32.exe mshtml.dllN
    It gives me this:

cant update windows because of an error [​IMG]

Wombo, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

cant update windows because of an error

1. cant update windows because of an error - Similar Threads - cant update error

2. I cant play roblox because of this error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant play roblox because of this error: The program can’t start because IERTUTIL.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.and The program can’t start because HID.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.can someone please helpand...
  3. I cant play roblox because of this error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant play roblox because of this error: The program can’t start because IERTUTIL.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.and The program can’t start because HID.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.can someone please helpand...
  4. Windows Updates - cant update and no error message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates - cant update and no error message: Hi,Windows 10Found sons PC has had no updates since Oct 2020Settings\Windows Update\ says "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes"Running 'Check for updates' does not return with any Error code,just repeats "Your device is missing important security and...
  5. Cant install feature update because i cant delete virtualbox

Cant install feature update because i cant delete virtualbox: so i have uninstalled ldplayer which was my emulator and have also deleted the file it was located and by opening task mangager i found virtualbox in another file location and deleted it and the file it was located in but whenever i try to install the feature update it says i...
  6. Cant install update because of VirtualBox

Cant install update because of VirtualBox: I cant update my computer because it says I need to uninstall VirtualBox. I have searched in programs, nothing. I have done all the suggested searches online thru my registry and I have none of the folders related to it at all, so I cant update. I have tried restarting,...
  7. Cant sign in because windows cant connect to Microsoft

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant sign in because windows cant connect to Microsoft: So finished building a new computer yesterday. I thought I would link my Microsoft account to it. . Also I usually don't have my network adapters enabled because I use a app with my phone. So today I go to log on and screen says "Sign In." I click it and it says "just a...
  8. Cant use headphones because of error.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant use headphones because of error.: Hello, I got a new laptop, and every time i try to plug in my headphones, an error "you just unplugged a device from the audio jack" comes up and my headphones don't work. How can i fix this issue? Thanks....
  9. Cant download xbox beta because windows cant update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cant download xbox beta because windows cant update: So I go to the Microsoft store and try to get Xbox beta but it says my windows needs to be updated, so I go and try to update windows and it doesn't work. I have used the windows update assistant & that still doesn't work. please help!...
  10. Cant update Windows 10 because UEFI error

Cant update Windows 10 because UEFI error: Hello, Cant update windows the because the: [ATTACH] Tried this: create partition msr size=128 in DISKPART, it tells me: No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error 0x800f0986 windows