Windows 10: Can't update Windows from USB drive

Discus and support Can't update Windows from USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old Microsoft Surface 3 that has been sitting around on a shelf for many months and decided to dust it off to update it to current Windows &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wpcoe, Oct 9, 2019.

1. wpcoe Win User

Can't update Windows from USB drive

I have an old Microsoft Surface 3 that has been sitting around on a shelf for many months and decided to dust it off to update it to current Windows & app versions, but was unable to connect to the internet (I started a thread in the Networking section) so thought I'd update the existing Win10 Home v.1709 to v.1903 to see if that fixed things.

I inserted a USB stick that I created from a downloaded version of v.1903 that I've used to successfully update three other computers by launching setup.exe. When I tried that on the Surface 3, a little bit into the process I got:

Can't update Windows from USB drive [​IMG]

Odd, I thought, so I thought I'd try by booting to the USB and reached:

Can't update Windows from USB drive [​IMG]

So, other than wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of v.1903, is there any way to do an in-place upgrade. Normally I'd let Windows Update do its thing, but I can't access the internet...

:)

wpcoe, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 9, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Can't update Windows from USB drive nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't update Windows from USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't update USB

2. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  3. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?: Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online...
  7. Can't Delete Write Protect from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Delete Write Protect from USB Drive: Hi. I have a HP flash drive, which had a recovery drive on it sent to me by HP. Since it didn't work properly when I tried to reinstall my Windows 10 OS recently, I want to format it and install a new recovery drive on it. Unfortunately, it is write protected. I have used the...
  8. Update from usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update from usb drive?: I'm getting a new Windows 10 pc which (initially) will have no internet access. Can I just download the latest update file (kb4532695) on my laptop, copy that onto a usb drive and run it on the Windows 10 pc? I ask because info about this is rather confusing, where you...
  9. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001
  10. Can't install from USB drive

Can't install from USB drive: Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems.. The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update. But...