Windows 10: Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs...

Discus and support Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone. This is a beginner question, just upgraded my PC from Win7 to Win10 (Enterprise LTSB 1608 I had lying around). Now I downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EmulcifiedSky, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs...

Hello everyone.

This is a beginner question, just upgraded my PC from Win7 to Win10 (Enterprise LTSB 1608 I had lying around). Now I downloaded evaluation copy to upgrade to the latest version (1809 I believe), but it says there that I can't upgrade without completely deleting my preferences and personal files.

I downloade both ISOs from the evaluation center, the Enterprise and the LTSC (there is no LTSB version there) - none of them won't just upgrade my machine, but will need to perform clean install.

Is there something to do, I don't want to reformat my hd and begin to reinstall the software I already using.

Thanks in advance!

:)

EmulcifiedSky, Apr 23, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Apr 23, 2019
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 23, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs...

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 23, 2019
Thema:

Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs...

1. Can't upgrade my Windows 10 installation without deleting my prefs... - Similar Threads - Can't upgrade installation

2. Why can't my computer upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't my computer upgrade to Windows 10: I am currently running windows 7 version and want to know why my updates did not load windows 10 upgrades. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-my-computer-upgrade-to-windows-10/e293e870-cb85-4c23-a752-9cc21745298b
  3. Why can't I upgrade my Window 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why can't I upgrade my Window 10?: Hello, I got a message on my laptop from Window saying that I need to upgrade my Windows 10. When I go Settings and try to upgrade it says this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-upgrade-my-window-10/6174e0eb-b1c9-4b3a-acde-141694be5f3f
  4. How can I install Windows 10 (not upgrade) without losing my files?

How can I install Windows 10 (not upgrade) without losing my files?: I'm current on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (OEM key) and stuck in a boot loop. More on that here. I'd love to get it back to start again so I can backup my files on cloud and then do a Windows 10 upgrade. So if you guys know how, please do tell. If not, then is there a way to...
  5. Can't install Windows 10 Home without it automatically upgrading itself to Pro and then...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't install Windows 10 Home without it automatically upgrading itself to Pro and then...: I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Home but every time I did it it just said it was installing Pro every time and I can't see a way to change it. Any ideas?...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade Deleted My Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Upgrade Deleted My Desktop Files: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this morning. After initially having trouble signing in I was getting a strange error about not being able to log into my account - I don't remember the error name, I customized my desktop and moved all of my old desktop files images,...
  7. My Windows 7 can't upgrade to Windows 10

My Windows 7 can't upgrade to Windows 10: I can't upgrade my laptop to Windows 10, after done install windows 10, my laptop is restarting changed windows 7 to windows 10, at boot, some strange application is opened and disappear and my laptop restarire again, at boot my laptop back to windows 7 (Sorry my english)...
  8. Keyboard prefs

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard prefs: Expat here. I have a Latin American keyboard but I prefer English as my interface language. In the Lock Screen, I have a choice between English, Spanish and a combination ENG/LAA (English interface with Latin American keyboard) but when I log in the options are limited to ENG...
  9. Win10 doesn't save my display prefs

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 doesn't save my display prefs: So every time I reboot, the "language" icon is in the lower right, even though I've repeatedly told it not to display. And there pretty much always seems to be programs that enable themselves at startup, even though I keep disabling them. I think programs do this after...
  10. Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.

Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.: Hello guys, when W10 first came out, I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to 10. Now, I want to make a clean install of W10, and I was wondering If I could use my W8.1 key. I mean, not installing 8.1 and upgrading, just installing W10 and putting the cd key, since I have it...