Windows 10: Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

Discus and support Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, For several weeks, I have been offered the upgrade to 20H2, and it always fails to install. Today I was offered the 21H2 update and that too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PamelaAnson, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

Hi, For several weeks, I have been offered the upgrade to 20H2, and it always fails to install. Today I was offered the 21H2 update and that too failed. Apparently this may be a driver issue, but as far as I know all my drivers are up to date and I have no old devices connected. Any help would be very much appreciated!

:)

PamelaAnson, Nov 27, 2021
  2. wiganken Win User

Windows 11 compatible but not even offered 21H2??

I have an HP desktop PC and a DELL laptop and both are suitable for Windows 11 although it has not been offered as yet. Both machines have received the latest Windows updates and are on Windows 10 version 21H1 build 1288.

1. I am not interested in upgrading to Windows 11 but, if the machines are suitable for Windows 11, why aren’t my machines being offered the upgrade to version 21H2?
    2. Are there issues with 21H2 that caused Microsoft to put an upgrade block on it?
    3. I am happy with version 21H1 and I assume I will not be offered the upgrade to Windows 11 until version 21H2 is installed. Am I right in this assumption?
    Thanks.

wiganken, Nov 27, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Updated from 20H2 to 21H2, no way to go back?

The OP's initial upgrade with its Windows.old would have removed all previous restore points as they were no longer valid for the new system files. But restore points created by 2004 or later should not need to be deleted deleted by the feature update to 21H2 using the enablement package. Because the system files are the same ones as before the update, then the restore points are still valid.

Restoring one from before the feature update would remove the enablement package of course and return the OP's system to 20H2.

+1 for the system imaging suggestion. A system image can be a life-saver.

4. Bree Win User

Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

Updated from 20H2 to 21H2, no way to go back?

When your PC upgraded to 20H2 it must have been from version 1909 or earlier. That would require a full replacement of your system files and would have created a Windows.old to hold your old system.

Stating with version 2004 all subsequent versions up to the current 21H2 share a common set of system files so a full reinstall is no longer required. After the latest cumulative updates the 21H2 features were already in your system files, but were dormant. They are turned on by a small Enablement Package that installs like a cumulative update.

What is new for IT pros in Windows 10 version 21H2

If you really wanted to go back you can uninstall it like any other Windows update, not that I can think of any reason you might want to. 21H2 seems to have no new known issues, only the same ones as 2004/20H2/21H1.

Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2 [​IMG]

Uninstall Windows Update in Windows 10

Thema:

Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

1. Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2 - Similar Threads - Can't upgrade 20H2

2. 20h2 to 21h2 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    20h2 to 21h2 update: I have a question...i still have 20h2 but i do really wanted to update my pc on 21h2 version i downloaded Windows 10 update assistant and all i want to know is that if i update it using win10 update assistant will my important files and applications will be loss?? this is my...
  3. 20h2 to 21h2 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    20h2 to 21h2 update: I have a question...i still have 20h2 but i do really wanted to update my pc on 21h2 version i downloaded Windows 10 update assistant and all i want to know is that if i update it using win10 update assistant will my important files and applications will be loss?? this is my...
  4. 20h2 to 21h2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2: Hi, For several weeks, I have been offered the upgrade to 20H2, and it always fails to install. Today I was offered the 21H2 update and that too failed. Apparently this may be a driver issue, but as far as I know all my drivers are up to date and I have no old devices...
  6. Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2

Can't upgrade to 20H2 or 21H2: Hi, For several weeks, I have been offered the upgrade to 20H2, and it always fails to install. Today I was offered the 21H2 update and that too failed. Apparently this may be a driver issue, but as far as I know all my drivers are up to date and I have no old devices...
  7. I can't upgrade Windows 10 from 20H2 to 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't upgrade Windows 10 from 20H2 to 21H2: Hi, Every time Windows applies the update during a restart or shutdown, it cannot start correctly. It tries to boot three times, but it shows a blue screen of death with error information. The fourth boot sequence uninstalls the updates and the systems start after the...
  8. I can't upgrade Windows 10 from 20H2 to 21H2

I can't upgrade Windows 10 from 20H2 to 21H2: Hi, Every time Windows applies the update during a restart or shutdown, it cannot start correctly. It tries to boot three times, but it shows a blue screen of death with error information. The fourth boot sequence uninstalls the updates and the systems start after the...
  9. I can't upgrade Windows 10 from 20H2 to 21H2

10. Can't upgrade to 2004 or 20H2

Can't upgrade to 2004 or 20H2: Hi, For several months now, I've been getting offered the W10 2004 update, and it's always failed to install. Today I got offered the 20H2 update and that also failed. I've run SetupDiag and the results are: Error: SetupDiag reports rollback failure found. Last Phase =...