Windows 10: Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install.

Discus and support Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that has had Window10 on it for quite a while. However, there is a new build of Windows 10 called 1809 that I can't upgrade to on that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike010101, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install.

I have a laptop that has had Window10 on it for quite a while. However, there is a new build of Windows 10 called 1809 that I can't upgrade to on that particular laptop. During the upgrade, it detects old traces of Avira and stops the upgrade saying I have to remove it before the upgrade can continue. I then have to stop the upgrade mid-stride and it cleans up the partial upgrade. Here's the problem, I uninstalled Avira a long time ago and it no longer shows up in Add/Remove programs. Then I found that the Avira folder was still in Program Files/x86. I had trouble but finally found a way to delete that folder by going in to Windows safe mode.

Still had the problem, the upgrade stopped once again saying I had Avira on the laptop.

Then I opened up regedit and painstakingly deleted every registry key and value pertaining to Avira I could find. There were thousands of them and it took hours. Some could not be removed. Found some stopped services for Avira but could not remove them. But if they are stopped and not running you'd think they would not be a problem. But I think it's the services, stopped or not, that Windows upgrade is detecting.

How can I remove all traces of the old Avira program so I can upgrade Windows 10?? If this upgrade does not install, on November the 12th I will cease to get security updates and my laptop will be vulnerable. I can't get much if any support from Avira because you have to be a paying, current customer to get tech help from them. I did post this on their knowledgebase site but I doubt I get much help there. This is my only hope.

:)

Mike010101, Aug 12, 2019
  2. kath_986 Win User

Avira Antivirus

Windows cannot send updates due to Avira Antivirus (not Aviva) - they suggest uninstalling Avira but it is not listed and I am not aware that I ever downloaded it. Presume its some sort of malware - any suggestions please if anyone has had the same problem
    - thank you

Kath Oliver

kath_986, Aug 12, 2019
  3. avira antivirus

i need to uninstall avira antivirus and i have looked everywhere and can't find any suggestions

JamieJeffries, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install.

Avira antivirus pro doesn`t turn on since I have Windows 10

Hi!

I just installed Windows 10 Free Upgrade on my Windows 7 laptop and the previous antivirus program I have for a long time Avira Antivirus Pro does not turn on. I also noticed that W10 also comes with its own antivirus as part of windows defender.

I have tried to turn off the W10 antivirus and turn on the old Avira Antivirus Pro but it says (Not responding).

Is there any solution? or Do I need Avira Antivirus Pro anymore?

Regards, Zsolt

Zsolt.Molnar, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install.

1. Can't upgrade to Win10 build 1809 due to old Avira antivirus install. - Similar Threads - Can't upgrade Win10

2. Avira Antivirus not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avira Antivirus not opening: I have a win10 laptop, and Avira will not open. I've tried everything I could, but some methods are restricted. I don't have Avira.ServiceHost.exe, and they say that might be the problem, but I don't have the permission to uninstall the app. I got Avira free version because I...
  3. Avira Free Antivirus

Avira Free Antivirus: If I want to uninstall avira free, how do I reinstall? There has avira removal tool to uninstall but no reinstall avira after uninstall avira free using the tool but malwarebytes has support tool to uninstall and reinstall but avira free don't have. I'm too lazy to go to...
  4. Avira Antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Avira Antivirus: How do I uninstall a program called, "Avira Antivirus"? I don't know how it got onto my computer and is preventing MS updates.Thank You,Kathy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avira-antivirus/cce2d2f3-740e-444e-9ff9-de978d4560ec
  5. Avira Antivirus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Avira Antivirus: How do I uninstall a program called, "Avira Antivirus"? I don't know how it got onto my computer and is preventing MS updates.Thank You,Kathy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avira-antivirus/cce2d2f3-740e-444e-9ff9-de978d4560ec
  6. Avira Antivirus

7. avira antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    avira antivirus: Can someone help me remove/uninstall this program ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avira-antivirus/7ac5c7bf-c69c-4648-b156-76977234b5a4
  8. avira antivirus

avira antivirus: update program says remove avira antivirus. cant find on computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avira-antivirus/616a7b49-8669-4ccf-be0e-d473e6440cf6
  9. Windows update & Avira Antivirus

Windows update & Avira Antivirus: Windows update is telling me I have Avira Antivirus and this needs to be manually removed. It doesnt appear in my program list however I do not ever think it has been installed. Any Ideas on what I need to do?...
  10. Avira Antivirus

Avira Antivirus: Windows cannot send updates due to Avira Antivirus (not Aviva) - they suggest uninstalling Avira but it is not listed and I am not aware that I ever downloaded it. Presume its some sort of malware - any suggestions please if anyone has had the same problem - thank you Kath...