Windows 10: Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

Discus and support Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by yodakya, Sep 22, 2022.

1. yodakya Win User

Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has worked. Any ideas how to fix it?

:)

yodakya, Sep 22, 2022

2. Ctrl W

I need to disable Ctrl W as a function that closes my web pages, I need it for work. How do I disable?

Dixiechick13, Sep 22, 2022
  3. cal :) Win User
    Ctrl W not working

I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this (by removing the GameBar), but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

cal :), Sep 22, 2022
  4. Luke Win User

Ctrl + W works as if Ctrl + V... but only once

I'm having a strange issue with Ctrl + W on Windows 10.

When I press Ctrl + W, it pastes my clipboard... the first time. But if I continue to hold Ctrl, and press W again, it prints "w".

It's as if Windows "forgets" that Ctrl is being held - if I press any key, it acts as its normal key, without a Ctrl modifier.

Here's an example:

I open NotePad. My clipboard contains "Hello".

• I press W

• I hold Ctrl
    • I press W

• I press W

• I press A

• I release Ctrl

The behaviour is the same on all programs I've tested.

I've previously edited the registry keymap, but since reverted it. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout contains only (Default)

I'm trying to map Ctrl + W to close tabs in Android Studio, so any help would be appreciated.

Thema:

1. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W - Similar Threads - Can't CTRL+A CTRL+W

2. `ctrl+shift+w` in browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    `ctrl+shift+w` in browser: Many times, I accidentally press `ctrl+shift+w` in browser and all my open tabs and work goes away in the browser. Is there any undo option for this ? if not then how can I disable this shortcut ?...
  3. `ctrl+shift+w` in browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    `ctrl+shift+w` in browser: Many times, I accidentally press `ctrl+shift+w` in browser and all my open tabs and work goes away in the browser. Is there any undo option for this ? if not then how can I disable this shortcut ?...
  4. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W: My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has worked. Any ideas how to fix it?...
  5. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W: My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has worked. Any ideas how to fix it?...
  6. Ctrl + W doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl + W doesn't work: I've had an issue for a while where using ctrl+w won't close a tab.My problem began with that being the shortcut to the GameBar for some reason, and I couldn't change it, but I fixed it and now it does nothing.This goes for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and any other...
  7. Ctrl W not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  8. Ctrl W not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  9. ctrl + w problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    ctrl + w problem: Hello, i have a problem. I was playing some PC game CS:GO and i got rage and i punched my keyboard. After few minutes i realised i cant do duck walk in this game with ctrl + w. When I am holding ctrl + w, a repetitive sound is heard. I think i switched my settings on my...
  10. Disable ctrl-shift-W

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable ctrl-shift-W: Is there any way I can delete the ctrl-shift-W shortcut? I'm typing a large document on google drive and I use ctrl-shift-E to centre text quite often. However, the E and W key are right next to each other, so I end up closing the window usually several times a day. It's...