Windows 10: Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.

Discus and support Can't use mouse to select search result through search box. in Cortana to solve the problem; After updating to Windows 10 October Update (re-released one), I can't select anything from result screen using my mouse. I can do so using cursor keys... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RahulKAR, Nov 16, 2018.

1. RahulKAR Win User

Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.

After updating to Windows 10 October Update (re-released one), I can't select anything from result screen using my mouse. I can do so using cursor keys though. Any solution for it? My Windows 10 build is 17763.134. Also, this happens too.

Can't use mouse to select search result through search box. 4a9e0940-e931-4871-96c1-9080492a24c5?upload=true.png

:)

RahulKAR, Nov 16, 2018

2. Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Retaining Search Box results

I love Windows 10 but its Search Box functionality is a step backwards from Windows 7. As in Windows 7, is there a way to retain Search Box results so I can return to the results if the first file or folder I open isn't the one I want? This was easy in Windows 7 but I can't find a way to do it in Windows 10. The search box results disappear now after I load a file or folder so I have to perform another search from scratch.

Let me try to explain differently:

1. Click the Start button

2. In the search box, type "Microsoft"

3. Click "My Stuff" to limit the search to your computer

4. In the "Show" drop-down box, click "Documents"

5. Click "See All" and select a document

You'll notice that document opens but the search results window is lost so it's impossible to return to it if the first document isn't the one you want, necessitating another search from the beginning which is very frustrating. In Windows 7, the search results window would remain open in a minimized state so it could be activated to open additional documents.

I'm asking if this functionality remains in Windows 10 because it's very annoying to go back to the very beginning to continue searching.

Thank you.

BARNEYKATZ1978, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.

search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Can't use mouse to select search result through search box.

1. Can't use mouse to select search result through search box. - Similar Threads - Can't mouse select

2. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  3. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  4. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't use search box in specific folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use search box in specific folder: Hello, I want to ask solution to my problemFirst, I change the Downloads default directory from C:/Users/MyComputerName/Downloads to D:/My Computer/DownloadsAfter that, I can't search in the Downloads directoryIt always shows "This folder is empty" but, you can see My...
  6. Can't use search box in specific folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use search box in specific folder: Hello, I want to ask solution to my problemFirst, I change the Downloads default directory from C:/Users/MyComputerName/Downloads to D:/My Computer/DownloadsAfter that, I can't search in the Downloads directoryIt always shows "This folder is empty" but, you can see My...
  7. windows search box not producing result from search criteria

in Cortana
    windows search box not producing result from search criteria: windows search box not producing result from search criteria https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-box-not-producing-result-from/e03e771f-4983-40e5-a1b8-c6af5df12d62"
  8. search results that are not apps are not selectable

in Windows 10 Support
    search results that are not apps are not selectable: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition. I upgraded from Windows 8 pro. When I search for non-apps, such as "power options", the search results appear properly. However, when I click on the power options search result (with the icon), nothing happens. Clicking on...
  9. Search box in Windows 10- No results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search box in Windows 10- No results: Hi When I open a folder in Windows 10 File Explorer, and I click on the search box and type in a folder that I want, It tells me NO ITEMS MATCH YOUR SEARCH But it's crazy because I can see the document I want right in front of me in that folder but when I try search it...
  10. Retaining Search Box results

in Windows 10 Support
    Retaining Search Box results: I love Windows 10 but its Search Box functionality is a step backwards from Windows 7. As in Windows 7, is there a way to retain Search Box results so I can return to the results if the first file or folder I open isn't the one I want? This was easy in Windows 7 but I can't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fix search start bar