Windows 10: cant use start button

Discus and support cant use start button in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; cant use start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-start-button/8be693c6-5926-46ed-8352-bc1546d7d7a6 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogerPenich, Sep 7, 2020.

1. cant use start button

cant use start button

:)

RogerPenich, Sep 7, 2020

2. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Sep 7, 2020
  3. twiggs462 Win User
    Start Button Not Working?

What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working?

twiggs462, Sep 7, 2020
  4. cant use start button

My Start Button is present, but has changed color.

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that start button and apps color changed also you are unable to access Windows Defender.

This issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run the SFC.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Also, I suggest you to check for the Windows updates and see if you are able to access Windows Defender.

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type Windows update.
    • select check for updates and install all the pending updates.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

cant use start button

1. cant use start button - Similar Threads - cant start button

2. cant click start button and search bar

in Cortana
    cant click start button and search bar: hi, i just changed the the administrator in my C drive, it was normal before but then i restart my computer and now i cant click the start windows logo and the search bar. the windows button in my keyboard still work fine tho, i still can use Win+r and Win+I, oh and whenever...
  3. cant click start button and search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant click start button and search bar: hi, i just changed the the administrator in my C drive, it was normal before but then i restart my computer and now i cant click the start windows logo and the search bar. the windows button in my keyboard still work fine tho, i still can use Win+r and Win+I, oh and whenever...
  4. cant click start button and search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Post-Update Issue: Cant click most taskbar buttons ie Start button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Post-Update Issue: Cant click most taskbar buttons ie Start button: Just did a Windows update Win10 Now I cant right or left click the Start button, the search button or the notifications button. I cant right click icons pinned to the taskbar. I can click the drop menu for the hidden app tray, however I can only manipulate non Windows apps....
  6. Cant reset pc, cant update, no sound, start button doesnt work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant reset pc, cant update, no sound, start button doesnt work.: About 2 days ago I've encountered a problem with my sound and my start button. Start button has completely stopped working when I left click it. And my sound says there are no Audio Devices Installed when I know that they are actually Installed because I haven't touched...
  7. Start button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start button: Start button does not show program list or power down options. Can you assist please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button/2c337b41-0aa1-40cc-82d7-2c4bf4f35ac4
  8. start button

start button: I lost my original screen that was a custom-setup for my programs that I use. Is there a way to get the original start screen back? The way it came from the software company? thank you....
  9. Start-up using power button

Start-up using power button: Windows 10. I have an external monitor for my laptop. How can I start-up the laptop (external monitor only) with the power button while keeping the laptop screen closed?...
  10. Cant use my windows start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant use my windows start button: When I put my computer in sleep mode for 2 days in a row now, both days when I bring it back up my start menu no longer works. I click the window button on the bottom left and it does nothing, I press the windows button on my keyboard and still nothing. When I right click it,...