Windows 10: Can't use win 7, 8, 8.1 keys after July 29th

Discus and support Can't use win 7, 8, 8.1 keys after July 29th in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Windows 10 was first released, Microsoft made it available as free upgrade for existing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. At first, users only had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by sneekez, Jul 21, 2016.

1. sneekez Win User

Can't use win 7, 8, 8.1 keys after July 29th

Read more: You Cant Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8.1 Key After July 29

:)

sneekez, Jul 21, 2016

2. Media Creation Tool And Product Key

starting with the November update Windows 10 may be activated using your Windows 7 or 8.1 product key this is a reminder you have until July 29th,2016 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free after July 30th,2016 Windows 10 will be 99.99 to upgrade

if you have a Media Creation Tool Backed up you will be able to use that after July 29th, because you are entitled to a digital license you must have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade

Michael Melvyn, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Recently built a new computer using the hard drive from my old computer, but I have to re-purchase Windows 10?

The digital license is attached to the device on which the upgrade is derived. Presently, you can transfer it, but after July 29th, you will no longer have that right.

Put it this way.

Prior to July 29th, I upgraded a Windows 7 or Windows 8 retail license to Windows 10 (free upgrade).

During that time, I decided, I no longer want to use the free upgrade on that computer.

I transferred the license to another computer and activate using my Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 computer.

After July 29th, you can no longer do that because the free upgrade offer will have passed.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  5. sgage Win User
    sgage, Jul 21, 2016
  6. sneekez Win User
    I guess I misunderstood the use of the keys. I feel like an idiot. Sorry everyone.

sneekez, Jul 21, 2016
  7. sgage Win User
    No need to feel like an idiot or apologize - it's been confusing. It's just that the various keys are known to belong to whatever version. It seems MS is really serious about the July 29th cutoff date for the free upgrade.

sgage, Jul 21, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

No, you're not an idiot! The "media" people out there like to hype up things to spook everybody. They took the use of "key" totally out of context, so they could get your attention. That's all.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  9. zooburner Win User
    Yes it's misleading, you will still be able to use your Window's 7/8/8.1 key to activate the version it was originally intended for

zooburner, Jul 21, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    True, it's just kinda funny, and predictable, how the "Talking Heads" who write those web articles like to twist and spin to get their add $$$!

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Molyy Win User
    i did know that . after 29th,July, the Windows 10 is not free

Molyy, Jul 21, 2016
  12. You Cannot Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8, 8.1 Product Key After July 29, 2016 *Wink

I hope/assume that includes OEM 8/8.1 embedded keys, as in it stops looking for them on a clean install.

alphanumeric, Jul 21, 2016
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Unless someone else knows of an Official MS document/announcement, I have to assume that "End of free upgrade" means "End of free upgrade". No maybes or kindas or almosts, end.

Mobile? I have no idea. That's a whole different animal.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    That's an interesting statement.

Assuming auto-activation this way is stopped, this should eliminate the clean install of 10 pro on an 8.1 core bios embedded key problem?

cereberus, Jul 21, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    Well we can put this in the class of a definite maybe.

We have no evidence to suggest MS will spring a surprise, but by definition a "susprise" is a "surprise"!

cereberus, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't use win 7, 8, 8.1 keys after July 29th - Similar Threads - Can't keys July

2. To retrieve my product keys for win 7 & 8 operating systems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To retrieve my product keys for win 7 & 8 operating systems: To retrieve my product keys for Windows 7 & 8 operating systems on my desktop. Misplaced the keys as a result of changing homes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-retrieve-my-product-keys-for-win-7-8-operating/3268b149-eefb-48a3-9eba-567f2eeb7914
  3. info boot win 7/8 after installation win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    info boot win 7/8 after installation win 10: hello everyone is from a year or so that I installed windows 10 and I no longer see at startup win 7 and win 8 despite being able to access from local disk c to various folders and files, how can I return to access the previous systems? ciao a tutti da un annetto circa che...
  4. Find original win 8 product keys used?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Find original win 8 product keys used?: I entered a few unused retail Win 8 product keys on clean installs to activate Win 10 before July 29th. Is there anyway I could find the underlying product key for each of my systems? 61015
  5. Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after 1-8 hours after use or no use: Hello all, the title states it all. Out of the blue I started getting a black screen, while playing video games, or comp just sitting idle. If I'm playing a game, audio is fine after both my monitors go black for about 30 seconds, then rig reboots. Rig runs great other wise....
  6. WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8: Hi, I have lots of Registry tweaks ( reg files ) from the win7/8 forums collected over the years. When I set up win 8, I noticed many of the win 7 reg settings were similar and worked in win 8, but a few did not, mainly to do with ui iirc. Now I want to use the...
  7. July 29th not June 29th

in Windows 10 Support
    July 29th not June 29th: I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my W8.1 over! This is how I...
  8. Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July

Reinstalling W10 after 29th of July: Hello, I have a question : after the free upgrade period expires, how do I reinstall Windows 10 if I have it installed now? For instance, I want to reinstall it to do a Clean Up of my computer, or I am upgrading/migrating to another system (hardware) etc. 57651
  9. Hardware change after 29th July

Hardware change after 29th July: Hi all I wonder what will happen if a major component like a motherboard is changed after 29th July, will Microsoft accept it or will we have to buy a key. Many people have got away with hardware changes on OEM licenses in the past with earlier versions of Windows. 57641
  10. 7-8-10

7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...