Windows 10: Can't use windows search (it doesnt even start)

Discus and support Can't use windows search (it doesnt even start) in Cortana to solve the problem; I have problem with using windows search (NOT cortana, i dont have it probably) When i start writing nothing happens. Start menu stays black (if you... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by kkamil4sz, Jul 4, 2019.

1. kkamil4sz Win User

Can't use windows search (it doesnt even start)

I have problem with using windows search (NOT cortana, i dont have it probably)
    When i start writing nothing happens. Start menu stays black (if you search something it should change to white and shows results).

I made another user account and it works on new account but i dont want to migrate to new account.

Can't use windows search (it doesnt even start) 1a6f1c3e-75dc-4f75-a671-9d36bd6a1c02?upload=true.png

Using troubleshooting tool on search and indexing with administrator permissions says:
    "incorect permissions on windows search data directory"

What i did:
    - Tried restarting Windows search service
    - Runed some powershell comands from tutorials

- Deleted Search folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search (so it could recreate with its own permissions)
    - Tried changing owner of Search folder to my user account
    - Administrators and SYSTEM have full control
    - SYSTEM is owner
    - Tried giving my user acount full control to search folder and all subfloders and files
    - Tried restarting Search process

- Tried restarting Explorer.exe
    - Used command sfc /scannow

- Disabled Antyvirus
    - Rebuilded indexes

How to fix this problem? How is it even possible that such a problem randomly occurs and is SO HARD to fix!?

:)

kkamil4sz, Jul 4, 2019

2. Start doesnt work, search doesnt work. - windows 10.

Hello,

Let us run the Microsoft easy fix solution to resolve your concern about start and search functions in Windows 10. Click the links below and follow the steps prompted:

You may also visit this link to troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Jul 4, 2019
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't use windows search (it doesnt even start) - Similar Threads - Can't search doesnt

2. Windows Search doesnt work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search doesnt work: I wanted to find sth in win search but it doesnt work. The tab doesnt open at all, I click on the search function on the bar and the search tab doesnt pop out, nothing happens, like I wouldnt click it. What is going on? Restarting PC didnt help at all. submitted by...
  3. Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?: Hello I accidentally removed the ability to search for documents using the start menu. I used to be able to do it, by just clicking the start button on the bottom left corner, and then typing in the file name, but now all I get are web results. Is there a fix for this? I...
  4. Can't use Start or Search Bar

in Cortana
    Can't use Start or Search Bar: Had the issue for 2-3 days now, when i type into the search bar it closes after 1 letter and if i try to click anything in the start menu it flashes and closes. I had similar problem trying to use the windows help service where i couldn't open the options to select my...
  5. Can't use "Search"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't use "Search": Have a new Lenovo Ideapad L340 2 weeks old that was working at setup. My customer brought it to me and can't "Search". Can't type into Search box, lower corner of Desktop. Curser disappears as soon as you try to type one letter Same thing in Search window in Explorer. Also,...
  6. Can't search anything using Windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't search anything using Windows Start menu: Hi, I can't search anything using Windows start. Never had this problem before. It's slowing me down a lot. [ATTACH] Type anything and I'll get nothing on the start menu. Please help! TIA!...
  7. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  8. I can't use Search in Start Menu

in Cortana
    I can't use Search in Start Menu: Hi, When I open Start Menu and start typing something I get the white block. How I can fix that issue? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-search-in-start-menu/192fc523-48a4-4654-89b8-e6e9f35c6ebc"
  9. windows search doesnt work

in Cortana
    windows search doesnt work: i can't search in windows search [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-doesnt-work/4d786bf9-0dde-4323-9f84-e3122b8a0b71"
  10. Can't use search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't use search: I have an incredibly annoying bug right now where I can't use the search functionality of Windows 10. When I press the start menu, and start typing, nothing happens. When I enable the search bar on the taskbar, I can't type anything in to it. Thank you for any help....