Windows 10: Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

Discus and support Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mike Benton 01110, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I watched the process as well as editing in the registry. Needless to say, I have little faith in the help desk and I'm reluctant to reach out for help. I have been able to resolve all issues except for one.It seems that nothing requiring validation of certificates works. I can't connect via VPN, websites won't load, etc. For example, when I try to go to any website, I receive this:NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALIDI am not an expert in how certs on

:)

Mike Benton 01110, Sep 1, 2022
  2. yesir360 Win User

See if cert is local machine or current user?

There seems to be two cert managers. One for Current User at certmgr.msc and another for Local Machine at certlm.msc. From this site here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ificate-stores it says that Local Machine cert entries are also listed in Current User.

What I want to know is, is there a way to tell if a certificate listed in certmgr.msc is Local Machine or Current User? Because deleting a certificate from certmgr.msc would also delete it from Local Machine if it exists as a Local Machine entry. This is especially a problem when you may have duplicate certificates or different Local Machine/Current User certificate entries.

There doesn't seem to be a way within certmgr or certlm to check if a certificate is local to Current User or not. This is a problem when you import a certificate to both Local Machine and Current User, as it shows up only once in certlm.msc but twice in certmgr.msc with no difference between the two. You would not know which one to delete if you wanted to remove Current User's version only.

Edit: Seems theres a few roundabout ways...
    Method 1: Check the store locations here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tore-locations and see if you can find stores via their thumbprint...
    Method 2: in cmd type certutil (-user) -(view)store <name of store> as suggested here: Windows certificate stores | Blog. This is ok for seeing if there are specific certs in one store...

Not sure why it has to be so roundabout... if anyone else knows of another method please do tell

yesir360, Sep 1, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    AT&T Activates Call Validation Displays

Source: AT&T Activates Call Validation Displays

Brink, Sep 1, 2022
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Sep 1, 2022
Thema:

Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

1. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine - Similar Threads - Can't validate certs

2. old certs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old certs: i need to print my old mta certs windows 7 certs and fundamentals from old emails i no longer have https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-certs/549ba35e-9528-4e3c-8424-c3fb005dd0a6
  3. old certs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old certs: i need to print my old mta certs windows 7 certs and fundamentals from old emails i no longer have https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-certs/549ba35e-9528-4e3c-8424-c3fb005dd0a6
  4. linked cert accounts

linked cert accounts: i need my accounts linked for my certs eric https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linked-cert-accounts/60ed8e38-85f5-456c-b011-58058d49196d
  5. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine: I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I watched the process as well as editing in the registry. Needless to say, I have little faith in the help desk and I'm...
  6. Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't validate certs on Windows 10 machine: I recently had my help desk migrate my laptop from one domain account to an account on a different domain. There was a lot of copy/paste going on as I watched the process as well as editing in the registry. Needless to say, I have little faith in the help desk and I'm...
  7. Authenticode cert

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Authenticode cert: My tech support is running security check and finding Authenticodetm Root certificate expiration.What is this, is this legit, why would it expire, and what are my options?...
  8. Digital signing cert validity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Digital signing cert validity: Why is it when I download Windows 10 Media Creator from microsoft.com/en-ca/software… and then do a Right click on the file properties | Seclect digital signatures | Click on General tab and View Certificate here it shows valid from 7/12/2018 to 8/8/2019 [ATTACH]...
  9. digi cert

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    digi cert: In windows 10 How do I remove DigiCert from my computer? They are evil and interfere with my facebook videos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/digi-cert/f75c189e-5a97-4270-a926-55f534408b62
  10. Can't validate progams after Windows 10 Reset

Can't validate progams after Windows 10 Reset: I was having a problem with Microsoft windows updates not working on my computer. The update would be applied and then rolled back. So I thought that I could cure this by doing a Reset. I did the version that kept my data files. The reset has worked as advertised, I think....