Windows 10: Can't view backup hard drive in file explorer

Discus and support Can't view backup hard drive in file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a G Drive Mobile device that I used to backup a Mac. I'm am transferring to a Windows 10 laptop. When I plug in the device into one of the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PaulValle, Nov 22, 2019.

1. PaulValle Win User

Can't view backup hard drive in file explorer

I have a G Drive Mobile device that I used to backup a Mac.

I'm am transferring to a Windows 10 laptop.

When I plug in the device into one of the USB slots, the laptop makes a noise like it has recognized a device, but it doesn't show in File Explorer.

It DOES show when I click the utility to safely remove devices, so that tells me it knows it's there.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Paul

:)

PaulValle, Nov 22, 2019

2. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 22, 2019
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't view backup hard drive in file explorer - Similar Threads - Can't view backup

2. File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online: All three of the main drives in my computer are SSD, but I recently purchased an external 14 TB BestBuy EasyStore hard drive WD rebrand for backups with EaseUS.Windows File Explorer takes 15 seconds or more to open while the backup drive spins up from sleep. If the backup...
  3. File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online: All three of the main drives in my computer are SSD, but I recently purchased an external 14 TB BestBuy EasyStore hard drive WD rebrand for backups with EaseUS.Windows File Explorer takes 15 seconds or more to open while the backup drive spins up from sleep. If the backup...
  4. Can't view networked devices in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't view networked devices in File Explorer?: Would be grateful for any assistance... Following the successful clean install of a dual boot desktop PC (W10 Pro V20H2 on one HDD, Ubuntu on the the second), I can no longer view any (of five) networked devices in W10 Pro File Explorer. I'm particularly interested in my NAS...
  5. Viewing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing files on external hard drive: I'm trying to view the files on my external hard drive My Passport for Mac using a Windows 10 laptop. I can see the drive and the Properties but I can't view the files. It is telling me to right click the hard drive icon but that doesn't help. What is the easiest way to...
  6. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  7. How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive: So, I had a 9yo Toshiba laptop, the screen stopped working a couple years ago, long story short gave up and got a new one, and backed up the old one onto an external hard drive. I've now got said hard drive plugged in to the new laptop, and I was hoping I'd be able to just...
  8. Backup of files on hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup of files on hard drives: Hello, I wish to know how to setup an incremental backup so it backs up only recently modified files on hard drives. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-of-files-on-hard-drives/6d3fbdac-3730-4c48-ae1e-29579484aa8a
  9. Hard Drive has a ? in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive has a ? in file explorer.: I upgraded my C Drive and now my SSD drive wont allow access. It shows the drive in Device Manager but in file manager all it shoes is the drive with a ? on it. What do I do?...
  10. please help Two hard drives in Explorer View

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    please help Two hard drives in Explorer View: Two hard drives show in Explorer View windows 10 i use sfc/ scan but Was not true show [img] 68747