Windows 10: Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app

Discus and support Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm pretty sure this is a new issue that appeared with the latest updates. I have Windows 10 feature update version 2004 and cummulative update for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Benjamen W, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app

I'm pretty sure this is a new issue that appeared with the latest updates. I have Windows 10 feature update version 2004 and cummulative update for X64 KB4566782.

I am not able to view some .mp4 videos in Photos or Windows Media Player. The audio works, but the video doesn't. I tried updating my codecs with theK-Lite Codec Pack, which was referenced on several help forums, but this only partly solved the problem. After updating these codecs, I now do see thumbnails of the videos in Windows Explorer, and if I change the extension from ".mp4" to ".video" as suggested by K-Lite, the video opens in Windows Media Player. But it still doesn't open in the Photos app, so I also can't edit it with the Photos app. When I keep the .mp4 extension, I can't open it in either app. These videos are downloaded from my Android Motorola phone. I have other older .mp4 videos that work fine.

:)

Benjamen W, Aug 18, 2020
  2. katinfoco Win User

windows 10 photo/video app file types allowed

using win 10 photo/video app on desktop to create a movie with .jpg, .mp4, & .3gp files.

.3gp will not play correctly.....

what file types are acceptable for import into the win 10 photo/video app?

do I need to convert the file to a .mp4 so it will work in win10 video app?

suggestions for convert app?

katinfoco, Aug 18, 2020
  3. .MP4 files lose their thumbnails in the Win 10 Photos app, when viewing in "Collection" mode.

First:

Win 10 Home.

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.576).

Microsoft Photos 16.1118.10000.0.

All available update applied.

Everything, that I know of, works perfectly, except for the following very odd issue with the Photos app.

I power on my pc and then start the Photos app.

I choose the "Collection" option to view all of my files.

Some of my files are .jpg's and some are .mp4's.

Initially, the "Collection" view shows thumbnails for all of my files. Both the .jpg's and the .mp4's.

And this is great.

Most times, I can end the Photos app and restart it several times a day and everything looks good.

But occasionally, when I restart the Photos app, I see thumbnails for all of the .jpg files BUT, instead of having a unique thumbnail for each .mp4 file, I have instead, a grey box, with a round circle in the middle, for each .mp4 file.

I can double click on these boxes and the .mp4 files play just fine.

It's just that my thumbnails have been replaced with these grey boxes.

What always works (to return the .mp4 thumbnails), is to restart the pc.

When the photos app stops showing the thumbnails, if I navigate to the folder that holds the .mp4 files, they all show as little thumbnails in file manager. (As they should.)

It's just the Photos app no longer shows the thumbnails for the .mp4 files.

The thumbnails for the .jpg's do continue to appear in the Photos "Collection" view.

Anyone else have this very odd issue ?

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray in a snowy and cold Wisconsin Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app :)

JustRayInWisconsin, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app

MP4 Personal Video files lag after August 2016 update (windows 10)

Hi Nicki,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Video playback troubleshooter and check

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Video playback options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to copy the files from your computer to another working computer and check if you are able to access them.

This will let us know if the issue is with specific files types on your computer.

Hope it helps. Update of the status of accessing MP4 Personal Video files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app

1. Can't view some .mp4 videos in Photos app - Similar Threads - Can't view mp4

2. Cannot view some photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot view some photos: 1. In my PC1, some images in the file explorer do not have thumbnails and cannot viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint, but edge and vlc works well.2. All images appear normally on other PC, all have thumbnails and can be viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint.Why...
  3. Cannot view some photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot view some photos: 1. In my PC1, some images in the file explorer do not have thumbnails and cannot viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint, but edge and vlc works well.2. All images appear normally on other PC, all have thumbnails and can be viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint.Why...
  4. Viewing videos and photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Viewing videos and photos: Hi, I have never had a problem with viewing video clips or photos on my pc, until today! Most of the photos are .png or .jpeg and the video clips are .mov I took these on my iphone and transferred them on to my pc, but now half the photos won't open some of them were sent to...
  5. Viewing videos and photos

Viewing videos and photos: Hi, I have never had a problem with viewing video clips or photos on my pc, until today! Most of the photos are .png or .jpeg and the video clips are .mov I took these on my iphone and transferred them on to my pc, but now half the photos won't open some of them were sent to...
  6. Windows photo Video editing Apps and NO MP4 Sound

Windows photo Video editing Apps and NO MP4 Sound: After finally being bullied into updating to Windows 10 I can't believe how many basic problems it has. But what is driving me nuts is the missing sound issue on MP4's Looking that the forums on here I can find thread after thread the oldest from 2015! Not one seems to...
  7. Cropping mp4 videos in the Windows 10 Photo app doesn't work

Cropping mp4 videos in the Windows 10 Photo app doesn't work: When I try to crop a video using the Photo's app, the app crashes after 20-30mins into the save function. I can trim videos that are only 5mins long but as soon as I try anything 60-90 mins in length the app just crashes during the saving. the best solution is to transfer...
  8. Some of my videos are not showing in the Photos app.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my videos are not showing in the Photos app.: I am able to open these videos in the Photos app from the folder, but they do not show up in the app timeline. These videos are in mp4 format and also do not generate thumbnail in the folder. Also, I was unable to change the date from within the Photos app. Any idea what...
  9. Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading?: MP4 idiosyncracies have been discussed many times, but I still haven't found a resolution to the problem that always necessitates downloading them before they can be viewed. I use VLC as the default video player and have installed the latest K-Lite codecs different times w/o...
  10. Can't load video in Photos App

Can't load video in Photos App: In new video Add video From PC I select a wmv file and I get a message "Something went wrong and we couldn't add some files" I have tried selecting .avi, .mov files as well and get error messages. When I added a very short video from my collection it loaded OK...