Windows 10: Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously?

Discus and support Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is tangentially a Windows 10 issue; I experienced the same thing under Vista previously. Obviously I just need to understand how Windows, in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Electrojim, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously?

This is tangentially a Windows 10 issue; I experienced the same thing under Vista previously. Obviously I just need to understand how Windows, in general, handles this.

My Dell desktop, running Win10, connects to the outside world through the house Wi-Fi router. This works fine. However, I do have occasional need to connect directly to hardwired (LAN port only) equipment I'm working with, and it's not convenient to run a 100' cable from my desk to the router in the attic. So I plug a LAN cable from my computer into a second router, an inexpensive 4-port wired-only type just sitting on my desk, and thus make direct connection with the hardware I need to address. This works fine too.

My Network & Internet Settings page shows both the Wi-Fi and LAN connections, but they can't be used at the same time. Maybe a conflict between DHCP activity with two routers or something? I have to disconnect or disable the LAN port to get back on the Internet via Wi-Fi, and vice-versa. Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there some way to have both ports active at the same time without a hardware reconfiguration?

:)

Electrojim, Mar 21, 2018
  2. mhd_m37 Win User

please help

i have bought Nokia N76 mobile

and i read that it support Wirless LAN

so, how can i use that

how can i use The Wi-Fi to connect to A LAN

mhd_m37, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Nick Lima Win User
    Are there any apps like ES File Explorer for Windows Phone 8.1?

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 630 but I can't find any ways to access my LAN files via Wi-Fi.

Nick Lima, Mar 21, 2018
  4. Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously?

It should work properly. I would suggest setting a hardcoded IP, subnet, and gateway for the wired connection. See if that works any better.

DeaconFrost, Mar 21, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    If the second router is just for LAN then don't give it a gateway that causes the problem

Samuria, Mar 21, 2018
  6. hiphopper Win User
    Use the second router as a bridge if the two are connected. Only one should have DHCP unless they are on completely isolated networks.

hiphopper, Mar 22, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    This is perhaps a slightly easier solution. I just attach a simple travel router to device that has ethernet only and wifi bridge link e.g. I use these - they do not need dchp disabling.

TP-Link 150 Mbps Wi-Fi Travel Router (Support Router Mode/Hotspot Mode/Range Extender Mode/Client Mode/Access Point Mode, Built-In Power Adapter, 1 USB Port, UK Plug (TL-WR710N)): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

cereberus, Mar 22, 2018
  8. Kyhi Win User

Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously?

maybe this will help
    How To Share an Internet Connection.pdf

9. Cereberus, that's an interesting bit of kit. From the title in the Amazon listing, it seems that little box would solve the world's woes in one small package. Sadly, it's not available in the US, according to Amazon anyway.

Electrojim, Mar 22, 2018
  10. Kyhi, that first part in the PDF you sent seems the exact ticket. I'll try it in the morning and report back. It would solve a plethora of similar problems here.

Electrojim, Mar 22, 2018
  11. jumanji Win User
    Look here :

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B006DEBYWU (May be end of life - discontinued)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel..._&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR..._&dpSrc=detail

TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Nano Travel Router with Range Extender/Access Point/Client/Bridge Modes (TL-WR802N):Amazon:Computers & Accessories

jumanji, Mar 24, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    @cereberus

Glad you mentioned the portable router -- I often use one of these for sharing NETFLIX / SKY SPORTS with colleagues in adjoining rooms when in hotel for business - or enabling group meetings -- usually hotels allow only 1 device or at most 2 -- but with one of these you create your own private network (Hotel Internet is usually good enough in the places I stay in to handle this).

Mines a DLINK AC750 DIR 510-L and can also be used to emergency re-charge a mobile phone too. Decent speed too for one of these - especially when connected to a decent 5GHZ wifi network or even a LAN port.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

You can do it with any router that supports wifi bridging - just takes a bit of configuration. There are similar devices elserhere

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Windows support Wi-Fi and LAN simultaneously? - Similar Threads - Can't support LAN

2. Can't connect to vpn and wi-fi simultaneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to vpn and wi-fi simultaneously: Hello.I messed up my network settings and now I can't connect vpn and wi-fi simultaneously in my PC windows 10. When I try to connect the vpn I get an error message saying "A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You need to change the network settings...
  3. Can't connect to vpn and wi-fi simultaneously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to vpn and wi-fi simultaneously: Hello.I messed up my network settings and now I can't connect vpn and wi-fi simultaneously in my PC windows 10. When I try to connect the vpn I get an error message saying "A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You need to change the network settings...
  4. Can't connect to vpn and wi-fi simultaneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching

Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching: Hello Everyone I'm facing an issue regarding my Wi-Fi and LAN Network adapter. My Wi-Fi adapter is automatically disabled when I plug in the LAN cable. So, How to disable the automatic Wi-Fi disconnect when I connect my LAN cable?I'm using Windows 11 Version.I did try:to...
  6. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi fi wireless lan problem: how to fix my wireless lan showing some wi fi dont exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wireless-lan-problem/e77b7e47-d7f9-425d-9d30-092915e6849f
  7. wi fi wireless lan problem

wi fi wireless lan problem: how to fix my wireless lan showing some wi fi dont exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wireless-lan-problem/e77b7e47-d7f9-425d-9d30-092915e6849f
  8. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?: I have heard conflicting claims as to whether PCs connected to the same router can talk to each other when one is connected via ethernet while the other is connected by Wi-fi. In a particular case that I focus on here, I have a Win10 desktop connected to the router by...
  10. Wi-Fi and Lan issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wi-Fi and Lan issue: So my laptop has been doing this weird thing. When I'm connected to wi-fi and plug in a LAN cable, my laptop will connect using the Lan but will keep using wi-fi to connect to the internet. So in order to use my lan cable i need to disconnect my wi-fi. This gets quite...