Windows 10: Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials

Discus and support Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Just joined a new company and I have a stack of laptops from ex-employees. Each laptop is signed into by the user’s work Microsoft account. This stack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Colin_McL_GG, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials

Just joined a new company and I have a stack of laptops from ex-employees. Each laptop is signed into by the user’s work Microsoft account. This stack is old and all the Microsoft accounts are deleted from the admin portal. There are no domain or local admin accounts. If I sign in with my Microsoft account it says it needs elevated access. Decided to just wipe it, made a Windows 11 bootable USB. Went to try and all the laptops have BitLocker enabled. BitLocker does not allow for the drive to be wiped from the Windows setup. I have the BitLocker key saved for the device, but no where to enter i

:)

Colin_McL_GG, Dec 7, 2022
  2. LouMcC Win User

Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe

Hello and thank you.

I had no idea Bitlocker was on my laptop until it Bitlocked me out. The laptop is listed as one of my devices on my Microsoft account nonetheless my account shows zero Bitlocker keys. I resigned myself to wiping the computer back to factory settings today, but after asking how I want to install Windows, cloud or local (cloud I assume because I don't know what else I'd use) I get taken back to Bitlocker and asked for that miserable phantom key.

I have no idea why Bitlocker activated. I used the Dell housekeeping tool to check on everything the evening before and was prompted to do a BIOS update. For that I turned my laptop into an expensive paperweight?

May wiser minds than mine lead the way.

LouMcC, Dec 7, 2022
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Dec 7, 2022
  4. Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 7, 2022
Thema:

Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials

1. Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials - Similar Threads - Can’t Wipe computer

2. I have not activated a BitLock Recovery Key and now Windows is asking for it, and I can’t...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have not activated a BitLock Recovery Key and now Windows is asking for it, and I can’t...: I bought a laptop with an original Windows installed, then something happened to the motherboard, and the Windows was not identified as the part of the motherboard that reads the SSD Hard disk was not working. I got it repaired through a certified repair and under the...
  3. I have not activated a BitLock Recovery Key and now Windows is asking for it, and I can’t...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have not activated a BitLock Recovery Key and now Windows is asking for it, and I can’t...: I bought a laptop with an original Windows installed, then something happened to the motherboard, and the Windows was not identified as the part of the motherboard that reads the SSD Hard disk was not working. I got it repaired through a certified repair and under the...
  4. Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials

Can’t Wipe computer with BitLocker, I have the key but no admin credentials: Just joined a new company and I have a stack of laptops from ex-employees. Each laptop is signed into by the user’s work Microsoft account. This stack is old and all the Microsoft accounts are deleted from the admin portal. There are no domain or local admin accounts. If I...
  5. Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe: Hello and thank you.I had no idea Bitlocker was on my laptop until it Bitlocked me out. The laptop is listed as one of my devices on my Microsoft account nonetheless my account shows zero Bitlocker keys. I resigned myself to wiping the computer back to factory settings today,...
  6. Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe

Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe: Hello and thank you.I had no idea Bitlocker was on my laptop until it Bitlocked me out. The laptop is listed as one of my devices on my Microsoft account nonetheless my account shows zero Bitlocker keys. I resigned myself to wiping the computer back to factory settings today,...
  7. Nonexistent Bitlocker key + won't wipe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Lost Admin rights and don't have BitLocker Key saved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Admin rights and don't have BitLocker Key saved: I accidentally disabled administrator privileges on the only account in my laptop. Hence, there is no administrator account on my windows. In addition to that, my C drive is locked using BitLocker and I don't have the pin or BitLocker Recovery Key. How to get back my admin...
  9. Old work computer on old domain and I don't have admin credentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old work computer on old domain and I don't have admin credentials: I was given my old work computer after our company sold and I just realized I don't have any of the admin credentials. I would like to remove the computer from the domain so I can have admin privileges and add virus protection, etc. Every time I do anything, it asks for...
  10. I have a bitlocker key id but i doesnt have a bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have a bitlocker key id but i doesnt have a bitlocker recovery key: I have a bitlocker key id but i doesnt have a bitlocker recovery key . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-bitlocker-key-id-but-i-doesnt-have-a/499c14e1-e32c-465e-8e4f-79d93fa66e57"