Windows 10: Can't write anything in search bar

Discus and support Can't write anything in search bar in Cortana to solve the problem; 1. Press Window+R 2. Write C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe 3. Hit Enter Hope it will work... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Adarsh_581, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Can't write anything in search bar

1. Press Window+R

2. Write C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

3. Hit Enter

Hope it will work

:)

Adarsh_581, Sep 21, 2020

2. Trouble with search bar (won´t find data)

Hi Jan,

I Would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1: On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)

Step 2: DISM TOOL

• Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and click Enter.
    For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related issues.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't write anything in search bar

photos or logos appearing in search bar when looking for something.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are getting images while using the search bar in Google Chrome. I see that this a new feature that’s been introduced in Google Chrome version 75.0.3770.80.

However, I would like to let you know that you can take off the photos that are displayed while you search for something by following the steps listed below. Kindly follow the same and see if it works:

1. Open Chrome browser and copy paste the following string into the Chrome address bar:
      chrome://flags/#omnibox-rich-entity-suggestions
    2. Press Enter, and choose ‘Omnibox Rich Entity Suggestions’ option to
      Disabled from the drop down menu.
    3. Close the browser and relaunch it.

For further queries, I would suggest you to get in touch with the
    Google support
    team and they will help you with this.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't write anything in search bar

1. Can't write anything in search bar - Similar Threads - Can't write anything

2. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  3. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  4. Search bar, can't type anything

in Cortana
  5. Can't open settings or type anything into search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings or type anything into search bar: Hello! I have a HUGEEEEEE problem because i can't use the search bar or the settings menu OR THE CONTROL PANEL, which i desperately need right now and if i can it just starts flickering like i'm vigorously scrolling down, i try to scroll up but it's just bottoming out by...
  6. I can't type anything in my search bar

in Cortana
    I can't type anything in my search bar: So recently I've had to reinstall windows on my computer because it crashed and I wasn't able to open it again. I did so by downloading the media creation tool on another computer making a recovery usb and reinstalling windows, admittedly it wasn't the cleanest recovery and I...
  7. Can't type anything in the Windows search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in the Windows search bar: For some reason, I'm not able to type anything in the Windows search bar. It either gets stuck whilst typing, or it just crashes. I've done the Windows troubleshooting for Search and Indexing, but unfortunately, that didn't help at all. Could anyone please guide me with...
  8. Can't write in search bar, and hit enter in calculator does nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't write in search bar, and hit enter in calculator does nothing: It is a really annoying problem, it has happened to me twice already. I had to reinstall windows again to be able to fix it the first time. Like I said, from one moment to the next, I can't type in the search bar of windows explorer. Also pressing enter in the windows...
  9. Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer: Earlier today while organizing my files all of a sudden when I tried to search that type of file instead of usually typing up the words I need to get a group of the same file, it would highlight the first letter down on my current folder. For example Jack, James, Jermy, etc....
  10. Can't type anything in the Windows 10 search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in the Windows 10 search bar: I have tried to do the workaround fix posted in this community previously involving running pasting "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" in the search bar and running it, to get typing in the Windows search bar working again. This is related to the language bar apparently....