Windows 10: Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

Discus and support Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Okay. First of all, I know that Windows changed it that way. I've read the answers tothis thread and tried them already and the options were greyed out... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by stan chanyeol, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

Okay. First of all, I know that Windows changed it that way. I've read the answers tothis thread and tried them already and the options were greyed out on both occasions. I am asking this because I've installed an old game to that directory and it keeps crashing. I'm guessing it's trying to write on that file but can't, so it stops?

:)

stan chanyeol, Dec 16, 2020
  2. Zone Win User

Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator

My issue revolves around encountering read/wright permissions with programs Java-based programs. I currently have installed jdk-8u65-windows-x64 on Windows 10 64-bit. Java is installed on C drive within program files. by Java-based programs reside outside the program folders on the C drive. Running the Java-based programs as administrator should solve the issue of read/wright permissions.

Only when I run as administrator the Java-based programs do I encounter the error depicted the below.
    Running the program with unelevated privileges everything works as expected except for the read/write errors. Elevating the program to administrator causes it to complain about not having the correct file associations performed the selected action.

Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator [​IMG]

Progress thus far...
    • The file associations are set correctly. I've check within Windows settings and the registry.
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled Java
    • Disabled UAC *required a reboot

I'm at a loss to how to troubleshoot this as I've checked all the points of failure that I can think of so far.

3. DCnewbie Win User
    Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Dec 16, 2020
  4. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

Administartor rights lost in program file and program files x86

Hi Luca,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the files and folders on Program file and Program file x86, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • Is this issue specific only to the Programs file and Program file x86 folders?

Step 1: If you have logged-in as an administrator, I suggest you to follow the below steps to give permission for entire system, so that you can access the specific files.

• Right click on the folder and click on
      Properties
    • Click on Security tab and select the
      group\user name.
    • Click on Edit option and check the option
      Full control.
    • Click on Apply and then on
      Ok
      button.

Step 2: Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

• You may receive the following error message, where
      Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
      You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press
      Yes.
    6. Click Yes.

7. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope it helps. Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

1. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator - Similar Threads - Can't write Program

2. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  3. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  4. I can't turn on Tamper Protection in Windows Defender even though I am the administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't turn on Tamper Protection in Windows Defender even though I am the administrator: So, it's essentially what the subject says. Even though I am logged in as an administrator, it is not letting me enable tamper protection and says "This setting is managed by your administrator". I don't know why it's happening, I have tried restarting and signing in and out....
  5. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  6. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  7. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator.: Let me explain everything in as much detail as possible. I apologize, I am not super technical so I don't know which details are germane and which aren't. I am trying to use a seagate desktop HDD plugged into the USB port of my Arris SBG7400AC2 modem as a network drive...
  9. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  10. Blocked apps even though I am administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocked apps even though I am administrator: When I try to open different things such as a Samsung USB driver a window pops up saying "This app has been blocked for your protection" I have given myself administrator as well as making a new user and giving that one administrator too but the same thing happens....