Windows 10: Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10

Discus and support Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded a workstation to Win 10 Pro. The system, System X, has two admin users, A and B. A is logged on to System X. Volume C is shared from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JimmyW, Sep 14, 2015.

1. JimmyW Win User

Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10

I upgraded a workstation to Win 10 Pro. The system, System X, has two admin users, A and B. A is logged on to System X. Volume C is shared from the root on System X, and all admins on the system have permissions to Share C with full control. B is logged on to another system, System Y (Win 8.1). B can access (read) almost all folders on System X from System Y, but cannot write to the folders as he did in the past. I included a screenshot of the sharing options, which are the same for all networks, though Network Discovery is off. Thanks.

:)

JimmyW, Sep 14, 2015

2. Win 7 SR1 machine can't access folders/files on Win 10 machine - one-way communications only.

I have a home network that has two Win 7 SR1 PCs and a laptop upgraded with Win 10. The Win 10 laptop can access the Win 7 PCs' folders/files as one would expect but will not work in the opposite direction. When I attempt to go from the Win 7 platform
    to the Win 10 platform I get "Access denied" or "You need owner permission/contact your administrator." I have checked and rechecked file and device settings for sharing. I am not interested in using the cloud (the two Win 7 platforms can't access the cloud
    anyway plus I have 6Tb of network attached storage). All platforms seem to be able to read and write to the NAS devices and there is bi-directional communication with network printers and other devices. Any solutions out there for getting the Win 7 platforms
    to read and write on the Win 10 platform?

Steven A.Gardner, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Huddinge Win User
    How to create a portfolio in Win 10

After upgrading from Win 7 to 10 it's no longer possible to synchronize my portfolios. I can't even create a new portfolio the old way. How do I synchronize folders with Win 10?

Thanks for your help

Roland

Huddinge, Sep 14, 2015
  4. edwar Win User

What are the options for Private set to?

edwar, Sep 15, 2015
  5. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks. Private is set as in the screenshot. I'm at the point where I can read/write to everything except the Users tree. I can only read that tree, although I could read/write before.

JimmyW, Sep 15, 2015
  6. edwar Win User
    I "think", but I'm not completely sure, that is the new Windows 10 model of security. It doesn't allow access to the Users folder from across a network no matter how or what user name you are logged into from another device on the network. I no longer have a Windows 10 system on my home network or at my place of work to check this.

I bet you can get around it without much problem by adding the actual users names in the security section for the Users, C:\Users, folder and give them Full Rights.

edwar, Sep 16, 2015
  7. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks. I think you're right. I can access the Win 8 users from the Win 10 machine, but not the other way around. The users are the same on both systems and have full control from the root.

JimmyW, Sep 16, 2015
  8. edwar Win User

Well I actually do have Windows 10 but in a virtual machine. I fired it up and guess what. I can't get from my Win 7 system to the VM of 10. In 10 I can't even see my host win 7 system. Network adapter is in Bridge mode. Win 7 gets 192.168.1.100 and 10 gets 192.168.1.110 as IP addresses. I don't and won't use the stupid Home Group settings. All options are like you have set. Workgroup name is the same on both systems.

Why does MS have to fool around with LAN connections.

Best of luck to you.

edwar, Sep 16, 2015
  9. XweAponX Win User
    You still have to set up Windows Networking just like it was done from XP-up, you can only do it easily with Pro versions, Home is more difficult. If you have Pro, right click on This PC and choose "Manage", when that opens choose Local Users and Groups, and set a PW for "administrator" by right-clicking on "administrator" - Something easy to remember. Then activate the administrator account.

After you do that, you can start by sharing your Printer through Devices and Printers, Your Printer, Printer Properties. To add that printer on a Windows 7 - 10 system, open Network on another PC on the network and look for your Windows 10 PC. The Printer should show up shared, or actually just run the Add Printer wizard and it will show up there. When it asks for User/PW, use "administrator:your password".

If that works right, or, if you don't have a shared printer, you can just open This Computer, right click on any HDD on the system, and use Advanced Sharing. Properties->Sharing. Set the Share Name to match your drive letter, then add premissions:

Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10 [​IMG]

Set "Administrators-All permissions" like that. Note, use "administrators" Plural!

Do this for all shared drives. Then when you connect to them from other PCs. the user name is "administrator" and the password is always the one you set for the Windows 10 admin account.

XweAponX, Sep 16, 2015
  10. JimmyW Win User
    This was the first thing that I did. I'm convinced that it's a Windows 10 issue, which adds security to the Users tree.

JimmyW, Sep 16, 2015
  11. XweAponX Win User
    I just came across an issue where I could access the files on a remote PC, but I wasn't allowed to delete, I have always been able to add or remove files from my other PCs.

Is your network set up as public or private? I used to have mine set to public, then I shared my media servers and it switched to private. Not sure which one it needs to be, in vista through 8.1, it was "Home" that gave you the full sharing options.

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  12. JimmyW Win User
    My network is set to Private on every machine. Public is more restrictive.

JimmyW, Sep 24, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Ok so Private=Home. Good. I'll have to check the permissions at the other end.

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't write to folders from network after upgrading to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Can't write folders

2. Can't Change Brightness After Upgrading To Win 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't Change Brightness After Upgrading To Win 10: I have upgraded a Lenovo G575 from Win 7 to Win 10. Everything appears to work fine except that I can't adjust the brightness. Now its stuck on minimum brightness which was the setting before the upgrade. When I use the function keys I can see the Win 10 brightness icon going...
  3. Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi I have Dell inspiron 5670 and running windows 10 home. I purchased windows 10 pro via storehaven't got any product key and when I tried installing it says it can't finish the upgrade and the error code is - 0xc004f200 I purchased this laptop with the windows 10 home...
  4. Can't Connect to this Network After Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Connect to this Network After Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Have a bought-in-when-it-was-a-new-OS Windows 7 tower. It's rarely used, but I dusted it off the other day and decided to get it current before support ran out. Everything went fine, but then I decided to upgrade to 10. I popped in my Windows 10 Pro disk and upgraded without...
  5. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  6. BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10: I have a pc I built myself that's been running on windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. I've left this pc on for a week at a time without a bluescreen or even shutdowns. Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, I've been getting store exception errors every day or two....
  7. Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro: I have just purchased this upgrade inside Microsoft Store. However, when I go to Activation -> Go to the store -> Install, it says "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade". Something! No error code, no hint, not even a log in the event viewer, NO-TH-IN-G! I tried...
  8. Win 10 can't browse folder share from Win 2003

Win 10 can't browse folder share from Win 2003: Hi Win 10 can't browse files from folder sharing in Windows server 2003, how to solve it? if i browse using windows 7 it's OK...
  9. SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC

SOLVED: Can't write to networked Win 10 PC: EDIT: I rebooted the Win 10 PC and now the permission stick. I do not remember ever seeing that was needed. I am on a Win 7 64 bit PC, wirelessly networked to a Win 10 Laptop PC. I can see the other PC (at last) and can take data from it to my machine. But I can't send...
  10. No network connectivity after upgrade to win 10 from win 7

No network connectivity after upgrade to win 10 from win 7: I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 now the machine refuses to show the network adapters! Both adapters show in the device manager as running OK. I have tried to reinstall the drivers - win 10 says the latest driver is installed. I tried removing the adapters by...