Windows 10: Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore

Discus and support Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; why can't I access any of my documents? It pops up an error box that says, Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open "myfilename' because it is either not a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GloriaHampton, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore

why can't I access any of my documents? It pops up an error box that says, Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open "myfilename' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged for example, it was was sent as an email attachement and wasnt correctly decoded

:)

GloriaHampton, Jan 26, 2020

2. Opening a "new" document type

I right click to open a new document...

it used to list wordpad (extension .rtf)

it doesn't list it anymore...

just text document (extension .txt)

how do i get the option for a wordpad document type back again

RobertSnowman, Jan 26, 2020
  3. SSMAN_G Win User
    Office Documents open on wrong virtual desktop in Windows 10

Scenario:

• I have 2 virtual desktops open in Windows 10... Desktop-1 and Desktop-2
    • Excel document is currently open on Desktop-2
    • Switch back to Desktop-1, and open another Excel document, by double clicking on the document shortcut
    • Document opens in Desktop-2

Why? The document should open on the desktop where I opened it? This makes for too much switching back and forth. I'd rather just clutter up a single desktop instead of jumping around all the time. Can I override this counter-intuitive behavior somehow?
    Am I missing the point of what virtual desktops are supposed to achieve? Maybe I should just be using dual monitors instead.

SSMAN_G, Jan 26, 2020
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore

Can't open documents

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to narrow down the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with answers to the questions below.

1. Is it any specific document, a document type or all documents, you are unable to open?
    2. What happens when you try to open the documents?
    3. Do you get any error message while trying to open the documents?

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore

1. Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore - Similar Threads - Cant't open documents

2. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  3. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  4. Punisher Cant't open software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Punisher Cant't open software: Hello friends. I just bought for few days a software and I am facing some hard problems. Firstly I had windows 11 and the owner of the software told me that I need windows 10 to run it. I installed W10 then but I am facing the same errors and can't sleep for some hours...
  5. Punisher Cant't open software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Punisher Cant't open software: Hello friends. I just bought for few days a software and I am facing some hard problems. Firstly I had windows 11 and the owner of the software told me that I need windows 10 to run it. I installed W10 then but I am facing the same errors and can't sleep for some hours...
  6. Punisher Cant't open software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to open ANY .exe files anymore.

Unable to open ANY .exe files anymore.: Hello everyone, I wanna get straight to the point, I absolutely messed up. Sooo... It all started when I couldn't open Identity V anymore, that seems to be a really common problem amongst players and the developers have not fixed this issue yet. For the next few days I kept...
  8. Trouble opening any documents on my PC

Trouble opening any documents on my PC: I don't know if it's a problem with my laptop in general or a glitch in windows 10 specifically so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has encountered anything similar. I'm having trouble opening the documents app, either on the home screen or via any programs like...
  9. problem opening documents on my desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem opening documents on my desktop.: When I click on an icon on my desktop designed to open a Word document, the system tries to open Word Professional 2007 then stalls. So I click Cancel. The screen changes to "chose a language!" then defaults to a chinese!...
  10. problem opening documents on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    problem opening documents on my desktop.: When I click on an icon on my desktop designed to open a Word document, the system tries to open Word Professional 2007 then stalls. So I click Cancel. The screen changes to "chose a language!" then defaults to a chinese!...