Windows 10: Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10.

Discus and support Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I fix this? I tried turning off sticky keys cause it kept appearing while I was upgrading my computer. It finished, I started typing on chrome.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KaiAgoncillo, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10.

How do I fix this? I tried turning off sticky keys cause it kept appearing while I was upgrading my computer. It finished, I started typing on chrome. It was like this "mInecRafT". Random letters are capitalize. I don't know what to do. I tried turning off my computer, it didn't work.

:)

KaiAgoncillo, Mar 31, 2021

2. pressing shift turns on caps lock

typing in all lowercase because this is incredibly frustrating. whenever i press shift, the caps lock is turned on. i have windows 10, and this started happening after installing the most recent update this morning - today is 12/6/2015. yes, sticky
    keys and filter keys are disabled. when shift is pressed, the light actually comes on for the caps lock button, so i think somehow the shift function was replaced by the caps lock function. i have tried using the regedit fix to disable the caps lock button.
    this caused the caps lock button to no longer work, which was expected, although the shift key still turns caps lock on.

tatonkaman, Mar 31, 2021
  3. MiSt77 Win User
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Mar 31, 2021
  4. rboppy Win User

Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10.

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

In Windows 7 there was a Keyboard tab that let you use the Shift key to turn off Caps Lock, it seems to be missing in Windows 10.

Anyone know how to set this?

rboppy, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10.

1. Caps lock and shift randomly turns on and off after I upgraded to Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Caps lock shift

2. Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications: Windows 10 just updated and now, every time I press Caps Lock, I get an annoying pop-up:How do I turn this off for real? Nothing I've found so far works....
  3. Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications: Windows 10 just updated and now, every time I press Caps Lock, I get an annoying pop-up:How do I turn this off for real? Nothing I've found so far works....
  4. Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Caps Lock On/Off Display Randomly Turned On

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Caps Lock On/Off Display Randomly Turned On: Randomly the Caps Lock On/Off Display has started popping up on my screen. Nothing I have done has been able to fix it. Even going to settings-Display-advanced settings. I don’t know what else to try...
  6. Caps Lock On/Off Display Randomly Turned On

in Windows 10 Customization
    Caps Lock On/Off Display Randomly Turned On: Randomly the Caps Lock On/Off Display has started popping up on my screen. Nothing I have done has been able to fix it. Even going to settings-Display-advanced settings. I don’t know what else to try...
  7. Caps Lock On/Off Display Randomly Turned On

8. Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10: I have Googled several different ways to turn off this Caps Lock indicator and have gotten stumped at each solution.Under Advanced Display Settings, there is no Screen Configurations tab:There is no Mobility Center when I type that into Windows search.Dell Peripheral Manager...
  9. Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10

Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10: I have Googled several different ways to turn off this Caps Lock indicator and have gotten stumped at each solution.Under Advanced Display Settings, there is no Screen Configurations tab:There is no Mobility Center when I type that into Windows search.Dell Peripheral Manager...
  10. Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock: In Windows 7 there was a Keyboard tab that let you use the Shift key to turn off Caps Lock, it seems to be missing in Windows 10. Anyone know how to set this? 69309