Windows 10: Caps lock key remap to <ctrl> problem with logitech keyboard

Discus and support Caps lock key remap to problem with logitech keyboard in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I remapped <caps lock> to <ctrl> for Emacs, since that is the normal position for <ctrl> for us old folks. Once in a while I will hit <caps lock> and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mark Schimmel1, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Caps lock key remap to problem with logitech keyboard

I remapped <caps lock> to <ctrl> for Emacs, since that is the normal position for <ctrl> for us old folks. Once in a while I will hit <caps lock> and instead of it being converted to <ctrl> it will actually set the caps lock. Then every character I try to type will be upper case. How do I clear caps lock in this case? All I have figured out is to completely reboot my PC. It is super frustrating when it happens. Thanks

:)

Mark Schimmel1, Nov 30, 2023

2. CAPS LOCK key remapped to Ctrl key

hey there, i accidentally remapped caps to ctrl key with 3rd party software and i cant turn it back for quite some time. When i type caps it tells me i press ctrl or LShift key.

Any help will be much appreciated

Preacher of Spencer, Nov 30, 2023
  3. Wildcard Win User
    Remap Caps Lock to Ctrl in Windows 10 without administrator privileges?

I found this question:

Which would likely work great if I had admin rights on my machine. But I don't.

I also found a couple of links about remapping keys without admin rights in Windows 7. The suggested solution is to use the following:

(Save in a file with .reg extension, double-click to apply to the registry, and then reboot.)

This is the same as the first linked solution except for the key to edit; the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key can be edited without admin rights.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work on Windows 10. (It applies and creates the key, but even after reboot the Caps Lock key is caps lock, not ctrl.)

In regedit I see that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout there are subfolders (subgroups?) for "Preload", "Substitutes", and "Toggle". It seems likely to me that putting something in "Substitutes" might be the way to do this for Windows 10 but I've no idea what to put, and there is no documentation I can find.

How can I remap Caps Lock to Ctrl in Windows 10 without admin rights?

Wildcard, Nov 30, 2023
  4. idgat Win User

Caps lock key remap to problem with logitech keyboard

Problem with Caps Lock key

Varies from brand/make/model. Your's doesn't.

Anyway, a lot of programs have their own indicator for caps lock on/off ... e.g. MS Word > right click on status bar at bottom of MS Word> from popup menu, tick Caps Lock. The words "Caps Lock" will appear on the LH side of the status bar, as appropriate.

idgat, Nov 30, 2023
Thema:

Caps lock key remap to problem with logitech keyboard

1. Caps lock key remap to problem with logitech keyboard - Similar Threads - Caps lock key

2. Caps lock key remap to <ctrl> problem with logitech keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Caps lock key remap to <ctrl> problem with logitech keyboard: I remapped <caps lock> to <ctrl> for Emacs, since that is the normal position for <ctrl> for us old folks. Once in a while I will hit <caps lock> and instead of it being converted to <ctrl> it will actually set the caps lock. Then every character I try to type will be upper...
  3. Caps lock key remap to <ctrl> problem with logitech keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Caps lock key remap to <ctrl> problem with logitech keyboard: I remapped <caps lock> to <ctrl> for Emacs, since that is the normal position for <ctrl> for us old folks. Once in a while I will hit <caps lock> and instead of it being converted to <ctrl> it will actually set the caps lock. Then every character I try to type will be upper...
  4. Problem With Cap Locks Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem With Cap Locks Key: I have been currently experiencing problems with the Cap Locks key on my laptop HP 255 G7 Notebook for maybe over a month or so and I really need help with fixing it. It started when out of nowhere my Cap Locks key would just turn on or off by itself like if someone was just...
  5. Problem With Cap Locks Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem With Cap Locks Key: I have been currently experiencing problems with the Cap Locks key on my laptop HP 255 G7 Notebook for maybe over a month or so and I really need help with fixing it. It started when out of nowhere my Cap Locks key would just turn on or off by itself like if someone was just...
  6. Problem With Cap Locks Key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Caps Lock - keyboard problems

Caps Lock - keyboard problems: Randomly and intermittently - usually in the midst of writing a Word doc or Outlook client email, the keyboard starts acting strange. Caps and lower case function backwards entering upper case letters when I am trying to enter lower case. In addtion, keys like , and ' are...
  8. Problem in Caps Lock Key

Problem in Caps Lock Key: The Caps Lock key does not stay turned off. It turns on voluntarily and it makeS THINGS DIFFIULT TO TYPE. As yOU CAN SEE. This needs a SOLUtION. I have tried help at the MicroSOFT COMMUNITY BEFORE. Did everything the help TOLD VIA CHAT. Tried to switch to Shift key TO SWITCH...
  9. CAPS LOCK key remapped to Ctrl key

in Windows 10 Customization
    CAPS LOCK key remapped to Ctrl key: hey there, i accidentally remapped caps to ctrl key with 3rd party software and i cant turn it back for quite some time. When i type caps it tells me i press ctrl or LShift key. Any help will be much appreciated...
  10. Problem with Caps Lock key

Problem with Caps Lock key: Hello I bought a wireless Logitech K800 Keyboard and I use Windows 10 Pro 64 bits 1) It seems the Caps lock does not work (and the Nums lock key neither ! Is the re a wa y to fix it ? 2) Contrary to the "old" keyboards, there is no visual indicator of the status of these...