Windows 10: Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function

Discus and support Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Vaindil Win User

Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function

Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have W-10 installed (a desktop with a USB keyboard and a laptop with an integrated keyboard). The keys still work to correctly toggle the functionality, but the keyboard lights don't work. In case it matters, my keyboard's actual backlights and my mouse's internal light (not the laser, the internal LED) are working correctly, it's just the CL, NL, and SL indicators that don't function.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing this?

:)

Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014

2. Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Nov 19, 2014
  3. Why after the new Windows 10 Update December 2017 Logitech 710 Plus Keyboard Num lock and Caps lock and Scroll lock lights don't work?

I have the same issue, steelseries apex keyboard , num lock and scroll lock , caps lock led not working after the update 12/12/2017

everything else is working fine, the keyboard still functions and the led`s work under bios so the keyboard is good, just no lights un windows 10 although a dialogue "cap shift is on" comes on in most cases

chris

crickard33, Nov 19, 2014
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  5. Vaindil Win User
    Gotcha. I tried searching but didn't find anything. Thank you, I appreciate it!

Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're quite welcome. Again, welcome. Enjoy your stay.

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  7. badrobot Win User
    I took a hint from another forum and the lights actually work on Safe Mode.

Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function [​IMG]

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  8. Tony K Win User

That's strange. *Huh

I checked my keyboard drivers in 8.1 and 10 thinking that may be the difference. They are indeed the same MS generic drivers, except in 10 the details are not posted. Weird.

Windows 8.1

Windows 10

Tony K, Nov 21, 2014
  9. cpupro Win User
    I've seen stranger things happen in betas!*Cool

cpupro, Nov 21, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    Here's something interesting, on a newly clean installed 9879, I deleted the native keyboard driver (which rendered my keyboard useless) and restarted the PC hoping the it will detect my USB keyboard and install the necessary driver by itself. It did detect my keyboard and automatically installed the driver but now I got a number pad light WORKING but won't go off no matter how I pound the num lock key. And what's even interesting is that I got a Microsoft keyboard that doesn't work harmoniously with Microsoft OS. *Smile

[youtube]YT0ub7pWgCw[/youtube]

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  11. cpupro Win User
    Exact keyboard doing the same thing as you! Now that's funny!

Maybe next week when they release the "slow" update there will be something to fix this.

cpupro, Nov 21, 2014
  12. Greetings from Holly Jerusalem
    When I installed build 9879 and faced that problem,I ran to computer shop and bought new KEYBOARD but the same problem still here.
    However,to work around after days of googling till we get fixes:
    1 - NUM LOCK: disable fast startup in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings
    2 - CAPS LOCK: change press the SHIFT key radio button in the advanced key settings options in Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Advanced settings

Please note that work without lights,don't forget to restart
    I hope that will help

aksalaymeh, Nov 22, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

Thanks, aksalaymeh. *Smile

Interesting. Not sure if I want to give up fast startup for some lights when the keys work.

Tony K, Nov 22, 2014
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Same here.. nice tip though.
    The problem should be fixed soon enough.

BunnyJ, Nov 22, 2014
  15. Hi

I looked but I can't find a Shift Key Radio Button anyplace, nor Advanced Key Settings, when I run a search it just tells me there is no such thing.

I did learn that I can set it so that it plays a tone whenever I push the Cap Lock Key, I never knew that before.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Nov 22, 2014
Thema:

1. Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function - Similar Threads - Caps lock num

2. Num Lock and Caps Lock indicator backward

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num Lock and Caps Lock indicator backward: Hi there! My Num Lock and Caps Lock keys have the indicator backwards - the light is on when they are not active I can type in sentence case and use the number pad and the light is off when I can't use the numbers or am typing in all caps. I've restarted a few times and...
  3. Num Lock and Caps Lock indicator backward

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Num Lock and Caps Lock indicator backward: Hi there! My Num Lock and Caps Lock keys have the indicator backwards - the light is on when they are not active I can type in sentence case and use the number pad and the light is off when I can't use the numbers or am typing in all caps. I've restarted a few times and...
  4. Caps lock and num lock on screen notification

Caps lock and num lock on screen notification: HelloI recently bought a Gigabyte G5 specifically for gaming but am unable to use it because every time I hit the caps or nums lock key a pop up minimized the game to tell me they are on. I have hunted down every way I can through google but the settings doesn't seem to have...
  5. Caps lock and num lock on screen notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Caps lock and num lock on screen notification: HelloI recently bought a Gigabyte G5 specifically for gaming but am unable to use it because every time I hit the caps or nums lock key a pop up minimized the game to tell me they are on. I have hunted down every way I can through google but the settings doesn't seem to have...
  6. How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock: I can not find where in the setting to turn off this notifcation. everytime i hit caps lock it alt tabs my games and it really annoying. Please help...
  7. How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock

How to turn off on screen notification for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock: I can not find where in the setting to turn off this notifcation. everytime i hit caps lock it alt tabs my games and it really annoying. Please help...
  8. caps lock num lock indicators disappear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    caps lock num lock indicators disappear: Hi,My laptop’s native cap locks num lock indicators won’t show any more.I tried almost all sorts of fixes that I’ve found online, yet of no avail.When I reset Windows 10, they come back but stop functioning right after some of the updates are done.Any ideas ?...
  9. An issue with num lock and caps lock.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    An issue with num lock and caps lock.: I think this is the right place to putt this, but whenever I press caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock, it shows the icon on the screen. I've had this computer (Acer Nitro 5) for a year, and it's always done it. When I play a game and a button is mapped to caps lock, it gets...
  10. caps lock and num lock lights do not come on when selected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    caps lock and num lock lights do not come on when selected: why won't the caps light and num lock key light up when selected can I reset something to get the lights back functioning? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-and-num-lock-lights-do-not-come-on-when/f47bc0c7-4441-4712-84bd-163a6923b281