Windows 10: Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function

Discus and support Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Vaindil Win User

Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function

Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have W-10 installed (a desktop with a USB keyboard and a laptop with an integrated keyboard). The keys still work to correctly toggle the functionality, but the keyboard lights don't work. In case it matters, my keyboard's actual backlights and my mouse's internal light (not the laser, the internal LED) are working correctly, it's just the CL, NL, and SL indicators that don't function.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing this?

:)

Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014
  2. RichardTonsing Win User

Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Nov 19, 2014
  3. crickard33 Win User
    Why after the new Windows 10 Update December 2017 Logitech 710 Plus Keyboard Num lock and Caps lock and Scroll lock lights don't work?

I have the same issue, steelseries apex keyboard , num lock and scroll lock , caps lock led not working after the update 12/12/2017

everything else is working fine, the keyboard still functions and the led`s work under bios so the keyboard is good, just no lights un windows 10 although a dialogue "cap shift is on" comes on in most cases

chris

crickard33, Nov 19, 2014
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  5. Vaindil Win User
    Gotcha. I tried searching but didn't find anything. Thank you, I appreciate it!

Vaindil, Nov 19, 2014
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're quite welcome. Again, welcome. Enjoy your stay.

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  7. badrobot Win User
    I took a hint from another forum and the lights actually work on Safe Mode.

Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function [​IMG]

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  8. Tony K Win User

That's strange. *Huh

I checked my keyboard drivers in 8.1 and 10 thinking that may be the difference. They are indeed the same MS generic drivers, except in 10 the details are not posted. Weird.

Windows 8.1

Windows 10

Tony K, Nov 21, 2014
  9. cpupro Win User
    I've seen stranger things happen in betas!*Cool

cpupro, Nov 21, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    Here's something interesting, on a newly clean installed 9879, I deleted the native keyboard driver (which rendered my keyboard useless) and restarted the PC hoping the it will detect my USB keyboard and install the necessary driver by itself. It did detect my keyboard and automatically installed the driver but now I got a number pad light WORKING but won't go off no matter how I pound the num lock key. And what's even interesting is that I got a Microsoft keyboard that doesn't work harmoniously with Microsoft OS. *Smile

[youtube]YT0ub7pWgCw[/youtube]

badrobot, Nov 21, 2014
  11. cpupro Win User
    Exact keyboard doing the same thing as you! Now that's funny!

Maybe next week when they release the "slow" update there will be something to fix this.

cpupro, Nov 21, 2014
  12. aksalaymeh Win User
    Greetings from Holly Jerusalem
    When I installed build 9879 and faced that problem,I ran to computer shop and bought new KEYBOARD but the same problem still here.
    However,to work around after days of googling till we get fixes:
    1 - NUM LOCK: disable fast startup in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings
    2 - CAPS LOCK: change press the SHIFT key radio button in the advanced key settings options in Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Advanced settings

Please note that work without lights,don't forget to restart
    I hope that will help

aksalaymeh, Nov 22, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

Thanks, aksalaymeh. *Smile

Interesting. Not sure if I want to give up fast startup for some lights when the keys work.

Tony K, Nov 22, 2014
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Same here.. nice tip though.
    The problem should be fixed soon enough.

BunnyJ, Nov 22, 2014
  15. MikeHawthorne Win User
    Hi

I looked but I can't find a Shift Key Radio Button anyplace, nor Advanced Key Settings, when I run a search it just tells me there is no such thing.

I did learn that I can set it so that it plays a tone whenever I push the Cap Lock Key, I never knew that before.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Nov 22, 2014
Thema:

1. Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock lights no longer function - Similar Threads - Caps lock num

2. Num lock key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  3. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK: 9/12/18 When prompted, the indicator light goes on. But it doesn’t work. In Windows 10, how do I activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/caps-lock/bf94491d-c07f-468d-834f-158ceb8fc8aa
  4. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  5. Num Lock Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num Lock Issue: Had to join Office 365 community, which uses Microsoft account.....blah, blah. The account is in my husband's name. When I logged in using his account, my settings were changed to his settings. He NEVER uses the numeric keypad for numbers; I almost always do. However, now...
  6. Visual caps & num lock indicator for windows 10?

Visual caps & num lock indicator for windows 10?: Dear developers for Win 10. Having searched, read & re-searched, I cannot find a FIX to enable VISIBLE status bar indications of Caps & Num locks. Yes I can turn on audible indication when selected, however, when one cannot hear pretty useless :-( I do NOT wish to...
  7. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221
  8. Num Lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Num Lock: When I had Windows 7 installed on this same computer there was a place to set Num Lock to be on when computer boots up. I cannot find the setting for this on Windows 10. Simple problem, hope simple answer. Thanks 77349
  9. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing: Apparently Windows 10, and I don't know for how long before that, has had a feature that when you change Scroll Lock / Num Lock key settings there is a notification that flashes on the screen. I have never used these keys and so have never noticed this annoyance before....
  10. Windows 10 Caps Lock light

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Caps Lock light: Strangely enough, since updating to 9879, the caps lock light on my keyboard does not work. I know it may seem small but it is really annoying not knowing when caps is on or not. My keyboard is backlit and the keys light up fine but the light on the capslock key does not....