Windows 10: Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key!

Discus and support Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Whenever i press Caps Lock key i can see the light turn on keyboard the caps lock indicator but it won't turn it on until i press windows key, same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nitish Reddy Jaddu, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key!

Whenever i press Caps Lock key i can see the light turn on keyboard the caps lock indicator but it won't turn it on until i press windows key, same goes with turning the Caps Lock off the light turns off when i press the key but it won't update until i press windows key!

:)

Nitish Reddy Jaddu, Sep 4, 2020
  2. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Sep 4, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    My caps lock won t turn off

Hi Sally,

For us to isolate the issue about being unable to turn off Caps lock, kindly respond to the questions below:

• If you press the Caps Lock button on your keyboard, does it turn off the Caps Lock?
    • You mentioned that you are using Word, may we know if the issue is within Word only or the issue persists in using another typing application (i.e. Notepad)?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key!

My caps lock won t turn off

I'm typing a letter in word, it was fine then started using all caps it won t turn them the usual way

SallyGardner47, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key!

1. Caps lock on pc won't turn on/off until i press the windows key! - Similar Threads - Caps lock won't

2. Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Caps Lock On/Off Notifications: Windows 10 just updated and now, every time I press Caps Lock, I get an annoying pop-up:How do I turn this off for real? Nothing I've found so far works....
  3. My Caps Lock key won't turn on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Caps Lock key won't turn on: My laptop's caps lock key won't turn on whenever I press it. It works as normal except the light doesn't work on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-caps-lock-key-wont-turn-on/a7a13fbf-6a48-4f7c-b271-2c55d88b5327
  4. My Caps Lock key won't turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Caps Lock key won't turn on: My laptop's caps lock key won't turn on whenever I press it. It works as normal except the light doesn't work on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-caps-lock-key-wont-turn-on/a7a13fbf-6a48-4f7c-b271-2c55d88b5327
  5. My Caps Lock key won't turn on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My Caps Lock button only turns on or off when I press CTRL + Caps Lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Caps Lock button only turns on or off when I press CTRL + Caps Lock: So this keeps happening every one in a while and a restart solves the problem. But it keeps coming back, and I dont remember doing this on purpose ( I didn't change any settings about this ). So when I press my Caps Lock key, the light either turns off or on, but the letters...
  7. Turning off sound for CAPS LOCK key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning off sound for CAPS LOCK key: Before I throw my computer out the window can someone please tell me how I turn off keyboard sounds, in particular for the Caps Lock key. I have followed instructions here but they don't match up with my version of W10. I've included a screenshot of the screen I do have. What...
  8. Caps Lock ONLY Toggles On/Off By Pressing Shift Key While Pressing Caps Lock.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Caps Lock ONLY Toggles On/Off By Pressing Shift Key While Pressing Caps Lock.: So for whatever reason, my caps lock can only be turned on and off while I'm pressing the shift (or ctrl) key along with the caps lock key. If someone could help me figure out how to make it so I can turn caps lock on and off just by pressing the caps lock key without needing...
  9. Caps lock won't turn on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Caps lock won't turn on: hi , on my computer the caps lock wont turn on and it is required for the password , is there a way to fix this while the computer is locked or is there an alternative set of buttons that also controll the caps lock ? many thanks Sadie * Moved from Insider...
  10. Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock: In Windows 7 there was a Keyboard tab that let you use the Shift key to turn off Caps Lock, it seems to be missing in Windows 10. Anyone know how to set this? 69309