Windows 10: Capture Client Image with MDT

Discus and support Capture Client Image with MDT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just been introduce to Microsoft Deployment toolkit MDT. The school I worked in had just acquire 150 laptops and instead of configuring each one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GROSSETT, Nov 10, 2020.

1. GROSSETT Win User

Capture Client Image with MDT

I have just been introduce to Microsoft Deployment toolkit MDT. The school I worked in had just acquire 150 laptops and instead of configuring each one individually, I was thinking , it would be more efficient to configure one and create an image and then copy that image to the remaining.

So far I think.... I have created a new task sequence, configure it to capture with pxe which seems to work up to a point.

The problem I am having is once pxe is complete, nothing else happen. No image was created.... I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me to accomplish this task…

Thanks in advance

:)

GROSSETT, Nov 10, 2020
  2. Kokich Win User

Capturing reference Win10 1803 image for MDT 2013

Hi Kari,
    This is tremendous job thank you for all your efforts to create this great workflow. I believe many admins are really appreciated to learn this. I have a question if I want to capture a custom image for MDT deployment for Win 10 1803 how these steps are will change it since the TS are taking care of drive partitioning and we have customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini files created. I try your workflow except to create the partitioning answer file, only i create unattended answer.xml with the OEM settings but it does not work. Also, I use a script to delete all Windows Store Apps which is really important for our image during the time when the reference machine was connected to the internet, and according to another article that is an issue when Sysprep to capture the WIM. The wim file is created without any errors but when start the dep[loyment failed with Error: 5640 50: Run DISM.exe. What is your suggestion about this scenario?
    Thank you for your time and effort here!

Kokich, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Fafaxx Win User
    MDT: Capture and sysprepped reference image

Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum. However I have already followed the excellent tutorials about Windows 10 customization and used some tricks. Now I need some help.

I use MDT 8450 to create a reference image for Windows 10 Pro 1803 with Sysprep. After installing the reference image with a MDT deploy task sequence - task most things are automated.

I run sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

Log in in audit mode and customize the Administrator profile. After that I run sysprep again.

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:C:\folder/copyprofile.xml

the unattend xml file has only the copyprofile true switch in it.

Once the system is shut down (VM) I boot into PXE and start the standard capture task of MDT. I switched off the Syspre section of the MDT task since I already ran Sysprep. The wim file is created fine.

After that re-start the VM (not the captured wim file) and now it comes what iritates me. Windows 10 starts a bit slower and ends up at the login screen and not with the OOBE process. I see the same if I replace instal.wim of the Windows 10 ISO with the captured WIM and start the ISO in a VM it installs Windows 10, but ends up at the login screen too and not going through OOBE process.

I would expect after I captured a WIM file, the VM would start with the OOBE process since sysprep run with shutdown option. The only thing between was I PXE booted and captured it. It seems during the capture process something has happened which might Windows think OOBE process is already done. I have to revert to last snapshot and then Windows does the OOBE process.

Thanks

Edy

Fafaxx, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Capture Client Image with MDT

MDT capture insider Preview 19041

Hello and thanks for a little help,

we deploy windows in our office with mdt - now we are experiment with the preview 19041 (20h1). We have installed mdt 8456, adk preview 19041 and win pe preview 19041

When I try to capture a reference Image - MDT starts and after the first reboot mdts process is gone or stop and the machine boot normal.

with the build 1903 we did not have this problem.

thanks

Powersmile, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Capture Client Image with MDT

1. Capture Client Image with MDT - Similar Threads - Capture Client Image

2. not able to capture image using MDT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not able to capture image using MDT: not able to capture image using MDT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-capture-image-using-mdt/b7400d7a-0806-48e3-bf5a-78eb2bc08b7e
  3. not able to capture image using MDT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not able to capture image using MDT: not able to capture image using MDT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-capture-image-using-mdt/b7400d7a-0806-48e3-bf5a-78eb2bc08b7e
  4. microsoft deployment tool MDT capture image error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft deployment tool MDT capture image error: PASTEBIN2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP ============================== - Pastebin.com2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP ======================================================== 2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP === Beginning of a new sysprep run === 2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info...
  5. microsoft deployment tool MDT capture image error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft deployment tool MDT capture image error: PASTEBIN2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP ============================== - Pastebin.com2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP ======================================================== 2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info SYSPRP === Beginning of a new sysprep run === 2022-03-01 15:52:35, Info...
  6. microsoft deployment tool MDT capture image error

7. Cannot Capture User State with MDT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Capture User State with MDT: Cannot Capture User State with MDTEach time it fails with this line...<![LOG[FAILURE 9709 : Architecture of the original Operating System could not be determined]LOG]!><time="13:47:30.000+000" date="02-15-2022" component="ZTIUserState" context="" type="3" thread=""...
  8. Cannot Capture User State with MDT

Cannot Capture User State with MDT: Cannot Capture User State with MDTEach time it fails with this line...<![LOG[FAILURE 9709 : Architecture of the original Operating System could not be determined]LOG]!><time="13:47:30.000+000" date="02-15-2022" component="ZTIUserState" context="" type="3" thread=""...
  9. MDT capture insider Preview 19041

MDT capture insider Preview 19041: Hello and thanks for a little help, we deploy windows in our office with mdt - now we are experiment with the preview 19041 (20h1). We have installed mdt 8456, adk preview 19041 and win pe preview 19041 When I try to capture a reference Image - MDT starts and after the...
  10. MDT: Capture and sysprepped reference image

MDT: Capture and sysprepped reference image: Hello All, This is my first post in this forum. However I have already followed the excellent tutorials about Windows 10 customization and used some tricks. Now I need some help. I use MDT 8450 to create a reference image for Windows 10 Pro 1803 with Sysprep. After...