Windows 10: capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P)

Discus and support capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks @Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!! I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 12, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P)

Hi folks @Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!! I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I would like to capture the WIM image via DISM. Also I'd like all the software etc on a Windows ISO so I don't have to re-install again on a new machine. The main problem of course is that the Windows ISO (whether you create it from UUPDUMP or MCT won't have the KVM VIRTIO drivers so won't recognize the disk your VM is stored on so can't capture the image. Pre condition or step 0 . You should convert the Windows Virtual hard disk from QCOW2 to RAW format first if your HDD is in QCOW2 format and install the VIRTIO disk drivers if not already done. RAW always works better BTW. This is easily done via img-convert in QEMU and check that the W10 VM boots. Also ensure any data etc is solely on the Windows partition / virtual disk --same as for capturing a WIM image on a Real physical machine. So step 1 is to Slipstream the VIRTIO drivers into the Windows install ISO. That's done by following this excellent link -- just ignore all the proxmox stuff -- we only want to slipstream the drivers into the ISO so that we can capture the WIM image of the running Virtual Machine !!!!!. GitHub - Zer0CoolX/proxmox-windows-slipstream-virtio-drivers: Step-by-step guide to slipstream VirtIO drivers into Windows ISO's for use in Proxmox VE Now you can boot the ISO in your Virtual machine , get into command mode and capture the WIM via Kari's excellent tutorial. Have fun folks !!! Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 12, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

@Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!!

I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I would like to capture the WIM image via DISM. Also I'd like all the software etc on a Windows ISO so I don't have to re-install again on a new machine.

The main problem of course is that the Windows ISO (whether you create it from UUPDUMP or MCT won't have the KVM VIRTIO drivers so won't recognize the disk your VM is stored on so can't capture the image.

Pre condition or step 0 . You should convert the Windows Virtual hard disk from QCOW2 to RAW format first if your HDD is in QCOW2 format and install the VIRTIO disk drivers if not already done. RAW always works better BTW. This is easily done via img-convert in QEMU and check that the W10 VM boots. Also ensure any data etc is solely on the Windows partition / virtual disk --same as for capturing a WIM image on a Real physical machine.

So step 1 is to Slipstream the VIRTIO drivers into the Windows install ISO.

That's done by following this excellent link -- just ignore all the proxmox stuff -- we only want to slipstream the drivers into the ISO so that we can capture the WIM image of the running Virtual Machine !!!!!.

GitHub - Zer0CoolX/proxmox-windows-slipstream-virtio-drivers: Step-by-step guide to slipstream VirtIO drivers into Windows ISO's for use in Proxmox VE

Now you can boot the ISO in your Virtual machine , get into command mode and capture the WIM via Kari's excellent tutorial.

Have fun folks !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 12, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Before doing that I want to make 100% that it works !!! also without having to download the Windows deployment kit -- I need to ensure that the cmd mode of the ISO I've injected the drivers into can see the disk the current running partition of Windows is on.

Current versions of Windows can do this via the DISM command too -- for boot one just needs to inject the disk drivers into the boot.wim which is what I'm playing with at the moment.

Will hopefully make a decent tutorial when its all working effortlessly. !!!

(You don't need the virtio Disk drivers once you've imaged the running system and applied to physical machine - however you do need them for running the DISM command from the install ISO so that it can see the disk you want to capture the image from.)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 12, 2021
  4. Hopachi Win User

@jimbo45
    Sounds interesting.
    Thanks for mentioning this.
    I'll give it a try this week once I get more time on the laptop. I do have a W10 install I can use this for.

Will need to convert from QCOW2. Noted.

I see no second link there so just in case, is it this tutorial from Kari you mention?
    DISM - Clone and Deploy using FFU Image

Cheers!
    H

Hopachi, May 12, 2021
Thema:

1. capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P) - Similar Threads - capture WIM image

2. Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P): Hi there Easy now. Pre-reqs : 1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the VM. (It's easier this way). 2) A copy of a running version of Windows\System32\DriverStore from a physical Windows system --...
  3. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  4. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  5. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  6. Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM

Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM: Hi folks I've often mentioned using passthru on things like graphics and network cards to squeeze the maximum performance of VM's - particularly Windows VM's. I refer you to this excellent article which explains some of the principles involved (although on a KVM Host...
  7. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  8. Good V2P (Virtual to Physical) program

Good V2P (Virtual to Physical) program: Hi folks I used to use VMWare's V2P program to convert a Virtual machine to physical. Fails now with when you try and re-boot the newly created physical OS (typical Linux Distros). For Windows VM's with Macrium it;s simple - just image the vm with Macrium and restore it -...
  9. HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P

HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P: Hi folks especially @Kari One thing with Virtual Machines created by VMware is that it's usually easy to create a physical machine environment from the guest W10 machine by using the various tools out there (V2P conversion). Even taking an image with Macrium and...
  10. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...