Windows 10: Captures folder missing

Discus and support Captures folder missing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I was an idiot and accidentally deleted a folder on my computer called "Captures," which appeared in my "Videos" folder. Turns out, this seemingly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RoshniMathew, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Captures folder missing

So I was an idiot and accidentally deleted a folder on my computer called "Captures," which appeared in my "Videos" folder. Turns out, this seemingly useless folder is the same one my Xbox One DVR uses to record and store my recorded game videos.

I've emptied the recycle bin. Can't get it back. And creating a new "Captures" folder didn't help. My Xbox App refuses to save any captured videos. When I try to download them, it crashes.

I've followed a couple of tutorials that told me to regain the file by going into "Properties" and selecting "restore default location." This doesn't work. When I open the folder where the DVR should be saving things, it takes me to "C:local/users/appdata/temp," which isn't where the tutorials say it should be, and there's no "Locations" option.

I use downloaded game clips in my cousin's YouTube channel, as well as my own. Now I don't have a way to download those vids to my computer for editing.

Anybody have a fix for this?

:)

RoshniMathew, Oct 22, 2020

2. Adjust capture settings on Windows 10 (Change capture Folder location)

Hi Hussein,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. As you have selected root of a drive (D Captures folder missing :) while changing the captures folder location and not created and selected a folder for the same. Hence, you are facing the issue. However, could you please let us know the exact
    error message you are getting while changing to default location.

I would also suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if you can restore default settings.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR (on the left pane).
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select
      Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Restore Default.
    6. Click on Apply > OK >
      Yes
    7. If you still facing the issue, please try by opening
      Xbox app.
    8. Click on Settings > Game DVR.
    9. Click on Open folder under
      Saving captures
      and perform step 4, 5,

If you are able to restore default settings successfully, please follow the steps mentioned below to change Captures folder location.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming > Game DVR.
    3. Click on Open folder under
      Save screenshots and game clips
    4. Right click on empty space and select Properties.
    5. Then go to Location tab and click on
      Move.
    6. Browse to the new location that you prefer.
    7. Click on New folder and create a folder.
    8. Highlight same folder using left click and click on
      Select Folder.
    9. Then click on Apply > OK >
      Yes.

You may also want to refer
    Adjust capture settings on Windows 10
    for more details.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Oct 22, 2020
  3. PaulaJava Win User
    System32 folders missing after capture

I am working with Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 64 Bit. I have tried to capture an image from it and I have noticed that the folders in system 32 after the config folder are no longer folders. What could cause this?
    Offline:
    1. I have removed most of the provisioned applications using: PS C:\> remove-appxprovisionedpackage -path c:\test\offline
    2. Removed OneDrive
    3. Removed Quick assist using: PS C:\> remove-windowscapability -path c:\test\offline
    4. Applied custom regedits such as detailed view for folder setting, dark theme, ect.
    5. Placed company logos.
    Online image captured:
    1. Exported/Imported startlayout.
    2. PS C:\>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:d:\sources\sxs /limitaccess
    3. Installed company certificate.
    4. Reg fix to restore Photoviewer.
    5. Set default credential provider to smart card in gpedit.
    6. Powersettings
    7. Disk cleanup.
    8. Services: Disable Offline Files. Manual IP Helper and Automatic Smart Card
    Any ideas on what would do this?

Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.

PaulaJava, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Captures folder missing

Changed location of captured video

Hi,

If you can no longer see the location option on the capture folder, you may restore your Game DVR Captures folder location settings. After restoring the game DVR Captures folder location settings, then you can change your Game DVR Captures folder location
    again. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

How to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings

• Open File Explorer.
    • Browse to the Captures folder location.
    • Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.
    • Click the Location tab.
    • Click the Restore Defaults button.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes to recreate the folder in the old location.
    • Click Yes to move the content of the Captures folder to the old location, and wait a few moments.
    • Click OK.

Note: After you've completed the steps, the Captures folder will return with all its content to its default location: C:\Users\%username%\Videos\Captures.

After performing the steps above, try to change the location of your captured video.

Kindly update us with the results.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Wilfred Mac, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Captures folder missing

1. Captures folder missing - Similar Threads - Captures folder missing

2. Capture Folder Missing From Capture Setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Capture Folder Missing From Capture Setting: So I was attempting to move the location of my capture to a different hard drive but I messed up something and I'm not exactly sure what went wrong. The end result being my capture location became my video folder. Creating a new capture folder doesn't seem to fix this. Is...
  3. Capture Folder Missing From Capture Setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Capture Folder Missing From Capture Setting: So I was attempting to move the location of my capture to a different hard drive but I messed up something and I'm not exactly sure what went wrong. The end result being my capture location became my video folder. Creating a new capture folder doesn't seem to fix this. Is...
  4. Capture Folder Missing From Capture Setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screen capture lost/missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen capture lost/missing: I recorded a meeting using the Gamebar screen capture and it should have been saved automatically to the capture folder. However, the most important clip is nowhere to be found while other clips I recorded after it missing clip were there. I'm sure that I saw it 'saved'....
  6. Screen capture lost/missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen capture lost/missing: I recorded a meeting using the Gamebar screen capture and it should have been saved automatically to the capture folder. However, the most important clip is nowhere to be found while other clips I recorded after it missing clip were there. I'm sure that I saw it 'saved'....
  7. Screen capture missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen capture missing: Hello! I always use the xbox screen capture to record my lectures on my pc. I never had this happen before so I'm quite lost. I started recording and everything seemed to go well. Once I ended the recording, I wanted to check the outcome by clicking on the notification of...
  8. Unable to "move" Captures folder for Xbox Bar Captures

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to "move" Captures folder for Xbox Bar Captures: I have followed several tutorials to "move" the captures folder. But the problem is, I don't have one. This is where it has been pointing: [img] I am kind of at a loss, since all the help I have currently seen has shown how to move the existing captures folder. Thanks!...
  9. Delete Videos>Captures Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Videos>Captures Folder: Hi, I can manually delete folders like captures in video but after a restart the folder is created again automatically by Windows. How can I delete it permanently so it won't create it again? Thanks. 114727
  10. System32 folders missing after capture

in Windows 10 Customization
    System32 folders missing after capture: I am working with Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 64 Bit. I have tried to capture an image from it and I have noticed that the folders in system 32 after the config folder are no longer folders. What could cause this? Offline: I have removed most of the provisioned applications...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com