Windows 10: Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties

Discus and support Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi there I'm surprised that there hasn't been any significant protest in the USA against a new law allowing ISP's to SELL peoples browsing history... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, Mar 29, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties

Hi there

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any significant protest in the USA against a new law allowing ISP's to SELL peoples browsing history to 3rd parties -- we complain enough about Google / Amazon etc doing this but allowing ISP's to sell your browsing history -- A whole slew of this stuff could easily get into the wrong hands -- and guess what the public will be fobbed off with the usual "get out of Jail card" --- All in the Interests of National security.

Probably only browsing the internet via TOR or using a VPN if you are in the USA seems to be the a sensible choice -- and I'm sure if the USA really does start using the law and SELL browsers histories - I suspect it won't be long before other countries do so as well.

VPN Searches Soar as Congress Votes to Repeal Broadband Privacy Rules - TorrentFreak

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 29, 2017

2. C 6-00 Firmware update & crash

Try reinstalling the firmware. Or if you have already taken backup of the data, give it to Nokia care (not to 3rd party small shops).

sudhakar35, Mar 29, 2017
  3. AkshDey Win User
    Nokia X2-01 software update

I dont have a fast internet connection right now, so i have to update it from Nokia Care. What i can do is to back up the data, but is it possible that Nokia suit would back up any 3rd party app data?

AkshDey, Mar 29, 2017
  4. Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties

Like yourself I find it quite surprising the public isn't screaming long hard and loud about this. I also find that many people commenting about it will say, "if you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about" that naivety I find seriously worrying. I could go on but this is a tech forum so I will *Zip it.

Brightblessings, Mar 29, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This type of stuff shows the lengths some businesses will go to in order to pitch for more sales so things like popup / google add blockers etc won't matter at all as they can target their sales much more closely --expect a huge amount of junk email / spam etc.

It's also worrying even if one has NOTHING to hide -- for example a Govt tax dept can say get histories of people who have used Internet Banking, get hold of the Banks and then investigate their financial affairs whether legitimate or not.

I'm sure some "Robot like Mouthings" will come out saying "We need these so we can check on people using terrorist sites / other activities like making weapons etc".

Definitely not good news -- so let's hope that things like scrambling web site addresses etc become more mainstream so the Techies can defeat this entire nonsense.

One EASY way without having to use VPN's etc is to get a Domain and then use that as an Internet gateway / proxy so your ISP will only ever see the single connection to your domain -- these can be purchased really cheaply these days especially if you don't store much permanent data on them and of course useful as email which can be forwarded / sent from your main account so it can hide emails too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Hi,
    Seeing that win-10 sells everything done locally and internet wise I find this a tad hypocritical to leave isp's out of the data selling business lol *Smile
    At least isp's are only selling browsing traffic win-10 sells everything so figure that one out in the name of making win-10 better *Confused

ThrashZone, Mar 29, 2017
  7. Winuser Win User
    I'm sure they already have access to that info if they want it. The worst I see happening is a increase in targeted popups and email ads.

Winuser, Mar 29, 2017
  8. vnktrmn Win User

The situation is even worse in India. You could see such database (excel files) being sold with ads on commercial advert portals like Olx or yellowPages. Pity that the cyber department does not take any actions. They might still be trying to troubleshoot their vintage systems running on Windows 95.

vnktrmn, Mar 30, 2017
  9. Anyone can intercept your browsing history, if it is not encrypted, not just via WiFi.

There a few basic steps to take, if you not want to use proxy, not just because of ISP.

1. Change DNS server, preferably use dnscrypt as well.
    2. Use SSL whenever possible, HTTPS Everywhere helps a bit.
    3. Use anti-tracking extensions, also block canvas, flash and webrtc.
    4. Use CCleaner or other tool to clean browser's history and mostly cookies.
    2 Use a private search, google's already encrypted, but startpage uses google too.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties - Similar Threads - Careful wish Data

2. How many of you guys use 3rd party uninstallers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many of you guys use 3rd party uninstallers?: How many of you guys use 3rd party uninstallers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-many-of-you-guys-use-3rd-party-uninstallers/766f0e2e-d9f6-412e-b5a8-840f214dab1b
  3. Linking 3rd parties.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Linking 3rd parties.: What information about my account can 3rd parties access through microsoft.com/link? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linking-3rd-parties/ee4f17fc-c10c-4f15-a551-aacaa88809b0
  4. Linking 3rd parties.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linking 3rd parties.: What information about my account can 3rd parties access through microsoft.com/link? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linking-3rd-parties/ee4f17fc-c10c-4f15-a551-aacaa88809b0
  5. Linking 3rd parties.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. 3rd party webcam

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3rd party webcam: I recently installed a 3rd party webcam to my Windows 10 XPS 13. I often have to restart to access it. I don't want disable the integrated camera because it works to identify me. I would like to make the new Webcam the default. When I follow instructions and right click on...
  7. 3rd party sites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd party sites: Why can I not access websites that are emailed to me. For example,,, if someone emails me a money transfer,,, it will not open to the banking page. If "Prevention" sends me a link to health topic,,,, I cannot open it. Please help! :-...
  8. 3rd Party Company

3rd Party Company: I did a search for MS tech support and 855-345-8210 was a search result, so I called the number. I needed help with Outlook. The rep said MS no longer supported Outlook, and they were the company that handled Outlook support. I gave them access to my computer. They fixed the...
  9. 3rd party utilities

in Windows 10 Customization
    3rd party utilities: A ms phone tech once told me to not use any 3rd party utilities such as ccleaner (and there are many others) and just rely on Windows to take care of everything. Before he told me this, I had used ccleaner and it seemed to clean a lot of stuff. Frankly I never noticed a...
  10. Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ?

Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ?: So, when I had Win7, I had Comodo installed. I liked it. When I upgraded, Win10 knocked Comodo out saying it wasn't compatible with Win10. So, I left it alone. In the back of my mind is this nagging mistrust of Microsoft and the feeling I should add my own firewall and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ethical issues of selling peoples data to 3rd parties