Windows 10: Caret browsing F7 key

Discus and support Caret browsing F7 key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The most recent update to windows forces me to answer the caret browsing question every time I press F7. I play a game that uses F7 for a critical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PeteG45, Sep 8, 2019.

1. PeteG45 Win User

Caret browsing F7 key

The most recent update to windows forces me to answer the caret browsing question every time I press F7. I play a game that uses F7 for a critical feature. Every time I restart the game I get the same question even if I check the checkbox to remember. Is there a way to change the behavior to ctrl-F7 or alt-F7?

Mapping this to an unmodified function key is a terrible choice. You’ve impacted a lot of software by permanently altering the behavior of a commonly used key. I’m not saying that giving an easy method of controlling caret browsing is bad, but the chosen implementation is unacceptable.

:)

PeteG45, Sep 8, 2019

2. Caret browsing setting in Edge

Yes, as I stated in my original post, I'm aware of the F7 key. Nevertheas, for reasons too involved to get into here, I'm looking for a "visual" setting within Edge to turn this feature on/off, like the caret browsing toggle switch that used to be in the
    Setting menu

ReadyOrNot, Sep 8, 2019
  3. how do i permanently disble caret browsing?

Firefox & Edge - Press F7 to toggle caret browsing enable / disable

Chrome - Crate browsing is not part of the installation unless enabled through extension

E for Excel, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Jim Bat Win User

Caret browsing F7 key

Caret Browsing prompt

I ticked to box on the caret browsing prompt to stop being asked if I wanted to use caret browsing or not and to use F7 instead.

Would anyone know HOW I may reinstate this option please (If there is a video available also, it would be a bonus)

The way shown on some routes is to go through the ... at top right- Then to "Settings" - Then to "View Advanced Settings" and select "Caret Settings" which is just below "Use Adobe Flash" BUT as you can see on my route, the "Caret Settings" choice is missing.

(I have looked at Open other sites in Apps but this proved to be a false trail.

As a result I am at a loss to know where else to look for this. Hence my question.
    Caret browsing F7 key 5d9410a3-60b9-455a-8f3c-fadc71452f09?upload=true.jpg

Thanks.

Kind regards

Jim Bat, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

Caret browsing F7 key

1. Caret browsing F7 key - Similar Threads - Caret browsing key

2. How to turn off caret browsing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off caret browsing?: Hi, I pressed F7. Got a pop -up. Checked "never show again" and pressed OK, instead of No. Now my keyboard buttons F3 -F7 used for brightness and sound management do not work. Windows 11, Edge.Tried to reset browser - did not help. Tried to turning off this: "Navigate pages...
  3. How to turn off caret browsing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off caret browsing?: Hi, I pressed F7. Got a pop -up. Checked "never show again" and pressed OK, instead of No. Now my keyboard buttons F3 -F7 used for brightness and sound management do not work. Windows 11, Edge.Tried to reset browser - did not help. Tried to turning off this: "Navigate pages...
  4. Caret Browsing and Volume Buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Caret Browsing and Volume Buttons: Hello, everything has been working fine, until this morning. My volume keys are, f6mute, f7 -, and f8 +. I tried to use them to adjust my volume and then got a pop up asking if I wanted to enable caret browsing, I selected no, but my f6 key is still opening my search bar. I...
  5. Caret Browsing and Volume Buttons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Caret Browsing and Volume Buttons: Hello, everything has been working fine, until this morning. My volume keys are, f6mute, f7 -, and f8 +. I tried to use them to adjust my volume and then got a pop up asking if I wanted to enable caret browsing, I selected no, but my f6 key is still opening my search bar. I...
  6. How do i turn of caret browsing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i turn of caret browsing?: So i accidentally turned caret browsing on and now i cannot turn it off! Like whenever i press f7 it only decreases volume. Please somebody help, this is very annoying :...
  7. F7 and pop up window prompting to Enable/Disable caret browsing

in Windows 10 Customization
    F7 and pop up window prompting to Enable/Disable caret browsing: Hello everybody.Sorry to bother. Can anyone help me restore the pop up windows prompting to Enable/Disable caret browsing when hitting F7 before you even log in into the system?I mean when you just start your PC, before logging in CRTL+ALT+CANC, I used to see this pop up...
  8. Caret Browsing popup on EVERY Windows 10 UI when F7 is pressed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Caret Browsing popup on EVERY Windows 10 UI when F7 is pressed: No matter where I press F7, whatever, it's the search menu, action center, internet menu, calendar, apps, browser and EVEN the explorer taskbar context menu it keeps popping up with the box to tell me about Caret Browsing. I can click on Yes or No including the "Do not show...
  9. How do I turn off the F7 Caret Browsing prompt?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off the F7 Caret Browsing prompt?: How do I permanently turn off the F7 Caret Browsing prompt on Windows 10 everywhere no matter what software or applications I am using at the time completely and permanently?...
  10. How can I permanently disable the F7 caret browsing prompt?

in Browsers and Email
    How can I permanently disable the F7 caret browsing prompt?: How can I permanently disable the F7 caret browsing prompt? Thanks 140733

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn on caret browsing if f7 key isnt working

2. f7 function key caret