Windows 10: 'Cast to Device' context menu entry does not display.

Discus and support 'Cast to Device' context menu entry does not display. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed Plex media server on my my friend's laptop and was demonstrating how it worked with her smart TV. "You can also just right-click on a media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickC, Jul 22, 2019.

1. RickC Win User

'Cast to Device' context menu entry does not display.

I installed Plex media server on my my friend's laptop and was demonstrating how it worked with her smart TV. "You can also just right-click on a media file in 'File Manager' and throw it to your TV"...except when I went to show her... there was no sign whatsoever of the 'Cast to Device' context menu entry. I was at a loss.

I have the exact same make/model laptop so used the same Win 10 (MCT-created) installer to carry out exactly the same clean installation of 1903, including interrupting the OOBE to run a Windows 10 Decrapifier script, as I did on her laptop a few days ago. My only amendments to context menu entries was to remove the Edit with Photos and Edit with Paint 3D as I had removed the apps.

As far as I can tell (and remember) I have carried out exactly the same steps that I did on her laptop... yet my laptop shows the 'Cast to Device' entry whilst hers doesn't.

I thought at first that it was Miracast I needed to troubleshoot but now realise that Miracast is very slightly different, i.e. mirroring or extending your screen to a wireless-enabled display device as opposed to 'casting' which appears to be linked to a DNLA connection to another network device.

As a result I don't actually know what wireless method I should be looking for that results in the 'Cast to Device' entry.

For info, when I issue Get-ProvisionedAppXPackage -Online | Select DisplayName in an elevated PowerShell window I get a very short list of just 4 remaining built-in apps (which was my intention):

Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller
    Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp
    Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
    Microsoft.WindowsStore

dxdiag shows that 'Miracast is available, with HDCP' and netsh wlan show drivers shows - for 'Wireless Display Supported' - Yes to both 'graphics' and 'wifi' drivers.

I can't get access to her laptop until next week but I want to research why my laptop displays 'Cast to Device' whilst hers doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to look for, i.e. what may be missing that I need to fix?

:)

RickC, Jul 22, 2019

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown 'Cast to Device' context menu entry does not display. :(

ArmoredCavalry, Jul 22, 2019
  3. dg2218 Win User
    Cast to context menu for pictures

It is not the APP that is wrong ...it is the standard right click in Win 10 for a photo , jpeg file that no longer has the CAST TO DEVICE in the menu !!!!!!! The context menu for videos right click still has the cast to device ! Read my posts

dg2218, Jul 22, 2019
  4. dg2218 Win User

Cast to context menu for pictures

Still not working ..Downloaded an App from Windows store CAST TO which enables me to cast the photos to the tv . So that works .The right click context menu has cast to device on videos but not jpegs. Cast to is ok on my laptop /NUC Win 10 but not my
    PC ..

dg2218, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

1. 'Cast to Device' context menu entry does not display. - Similar Threads - 'Cast Device' context

2. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing: Suddenly, all the entries from my "New" context menu disappeared, I don't know why. I've tried restoring the defaults, enabling, disabling new entries, nothing helped, no entries in the menu. How to restore it?...
  3. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing: Suddenly, all the entries from my "New" context menu disappeared, I don't know why. I've tried restoring the defaults, enabling, disabling new entries, nothing helped, no entries in the menu. How to restore it?...
  4. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?: I am a constant user of Textpad test editor, in every context, but their setup option to have "Open with Textpad" on every context menu is broken in Windows 10. Occasionally, I also use Notepad++, but it is not a substitute because of the collection of editing tools,...
  6. Removing Office '16 context menu entries?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Removing Office '16 context menu entries?: Hello; I've recently installed Office 16 and only just noticed that it's added new context meny entries in my explorer. Upon /r clicking (in the desktop, not on a file), under "new" category, there are now entries for each and every Office 'product': New Word document, New...
  7. delete context menu entry

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete context menu entry: Hello every one,cannot delete specific entry [img] have uninstalled,cleaned registry entries with RevoUninstaller and CCleaner,manually looked for all entries in Registry Editor,used Shellex and Shellview,nothing seems to handle it.Any hints? 13024
  8. Creating a new entry in the context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  9. Cast to Device right click menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cast to Device right click menu: Is there a way to remove and item from the Cast to Device menu? There are two things that I dont use, one is an option to cast to my TV which doesn't work but it uses the same icon as the option that does work. This causes problems because I have to guess what to click. If...
  10. Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Cast to Device in Windows 10 is a rebranded and improved version of Play To Device that was used in previous version of...