Windows 10: Cast To Device re-orders tracks

Discus and support Cast To Device re-orders tracks in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I select a collection of tracks to cast to a bluetooth speaker instead of playing tracks 1,2,... ,N it plays the last first and then the rest in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SonOfNeactan, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Cast To Device re-orders tracks

When I select a collection of tracks to cast to a bluetooth speaker instead of playing tracks 1,2,... ,N it plays the last first and then the rest in order i.e. N,1,2...,N-1.

Can I stop it doing this?

:)

SonOfNeactan, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Nevalti Win User

Wrong file order when 'casting' music to my devices.

Thanks Ric.

I am only really interested in my Musaic MPL which is a Qualcom Alplay device able to play 'any' file. I have however tried casting it to my Ruark R2 (an Undok device) or my Samsung TV (system?) or my Pioneer AV amp (system?) but the playing order is wrong
    on any of them so it does not seem to be related to the equipment.

I tend to cast the whole folder initially and then add folders or tracks to the cast-list. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it does not. I played about 8 hrs of music yesterday without any problems and then I couldn't get it to play in order.

My file structure is generally something like: This PC/Music/FLAC/Classical/Mahler/Symphony No 5/04 Adegietto.flac

Casting from the 1st column of Explorer tends to be fairly reliable but casting from a lower folder level, in the next column, is definitely less reliable. Adding files OR folders to an existing cast-list is also unreliable no matter how I select them.
    If I select a bunch of individual tracks and drag them to the cast-list it very often fails to play sequentially and/or the file order gets messed up.

Yes, I can certainly rearrange the playing order by dragging the files around the cast-list but obviously I don't want to do that for everything I play. When you add files, they are usually not even visible because they are way down the cast-list. If you
    try to do it later, it is all too easy to mix up two similar folders when the next bunch of files starts with a high file number. For example, one CD may be tracks 01 to 07 and the next CD may, wrongly, start with 08 which is almost impossible to spot if
    the filename is similar.

Nevalti, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Nevalti Win User

I managed to select half a dozen groups of tracks via WMP without any re-ordering. The cast-window listed all 40 tracks and played them in the right order........... THEN, the casting process stopped working altogether! The music stopped and I couldn't
    drag any tracks to the open window. After a short pause, the window closed itself without a, "The programme has stopped working" warning.

I closed all related apps and started again. No problems with first album but, this time, the cast window would not accept any more tracks. No warnings, it just didn't work. It carried on playing the first album OK but otherwise ignored all my attempts to
    add to the cast list.

I cleared all tracks and added some more - and it worked in the same manner.

I closed the cast-window and tried to cast another album, but it wouldn't even open a cast-window.

I waited a few minutes, whist on the phone, tried again and this time it worked perfectly!

Either the cast-system needs to be replaced (no Indian jokes intended) or there is a problem of MY making. As Microsoft provide this function, one would have thought that they would make sure it works. Programs/Apps often have little foibles that you need
    to learn but I just don't feel I am making ANY progress with this. As you say, it is nothing to do with WMP.

Nevalti, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Nevalti Win User

Cast To Device re-orders tracks

I have recently started using Windows 10 Explorer to 'cast' music (FLAC or ALAC) to my devices but unfortunately, it often gets the tracks/files in the wrong order. That is obviously unacceptable with most classical music.

For example, it may well try to play in this sequence:

06 Allegro

07 Finale

01 Introduction

02 Allegro maestoso

03 Adagio

04 Scherzo

05 Poco Adagio

All tracks start with the usual sequential numbers (01, 02, 03, etc) in their track names, as above, AND also in their file names, as above plus '.flac' OR '.mp4'. All tracks also have sequential track numbers
    (1, 2, 3, etc) and all numbers for every track match as they should. I can see nothing in the rest of the track names to suggest that it may be sorting them alphabetically instead of the correct order. (Everything shown in bold above is just for emphasis.
    The filenames etc are obviously not in bold.)

No other equipment has any problem playing them in the right order, so why does Windows Explorer get it wrong?

Possibly a related issue: Sometimes it plays down the cast track list, as you would expect, but sometimes it plays just one track and then stops until you click on the next track........Why?

Nevalti, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Cast To Device re-orders tracks

1. Cast To Device re-orders tracks - Similar Threads - Cast Device orders

2. Cast to Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cast to Device: I have 3 Pioneer receivers, all of which are relatively new and supported the Cast to Device in Windows 10 and I used it often on all 3 receivers as well as my girlfriend's Pioneer receiver that is exactly like one of mine. They all stopped supporting the Cast to Device...
  3. Cast to Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cast to Device: I have 3 Pioneer receivers, all of which are relatively new and supported the Cast to Device in Windows 10 and I used it often on all 3 receivers as well as my girlfriend's Pioneer receiver that is exactly like one of mine. They all stopped supporting the Cast to Device...
  4. Cast to Device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with Cast to Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Cast to Device: When I use Google Chrome I can Cast and it finds my smart TV. When I try to "Cast to Device" to try to cast a video file my TV does NOT show up as a device. I am surprised that it works through Chrome but not through File Explorer. Is this a bug? submitted by...
  6. Cast to Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cast to Device: I plan on buying another receiver and I really want the Cast to Device feature like my relatively new Pioneer unit has. My question is how will I know if the receivers I'm thinking of purchasing have that feature? Is there a technical term I should look for? A...
  7. Cast to Device issues

Cast to Device issues: Any idea why youtube has no problem casting to my Roku, but Windows can't find any devices to cast to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cast-to-device-issues/b2bdf07b-8550-4624-83fb-78e329ff32d3
  8. Cast to device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cast to device: Ever since the new update Windows 10 Home version 1903 I have lost the ability to cast video to my tv. Dont even have the option to click it.. Any ideas? Thanks Jeff...
  9. Cast to Device

Cast to Device: When I select a file; right click; I see my neighbors devices listed. Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cast-to-device/1bf969b2-4eed-4367-9e4b-ce46153a4b04
  10. Cast to Device

Cast to Device: [ATTACH] I am facing this problem since the last windows update (IF that is the problem) Or after I used the pc connected with an HDMI to the TV. So I have tried to reset streaming options in Media Player and that didn't change anything. I have also checked the Services It...