Windows 10: Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5

Discus and support Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am stuck on build 1803, I recently downloaded an app which requires .net framework to be installed, I haven't it installed so when launching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MohamedHafiz249, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5

Hello, I am stuck on build 1803, I recently downloaded an app which requires .net framework to be installed, I haven't it installed so when launching the app a an app on your pc need .net framework window appears, when clicking the download and install button an error code of 0x8000ffff with the message this feature couldn't be installed - catastrophic failure appears.

I have tried to do dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but after it reaches 100% it shows that the operation didn't complete successfully with the same error code as before, I also have .net on demand so I tried to install it via dism but again the same error code comes out with the message DISM failed. No operation was performed., and when trying to use sfc /scannow a message of There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again., when restarting windows it seems like it works on updates or something like that with message getting things ready, don't turn off your computer then the system restarts and when it starts again it shows the message We couldn't complete the updates undoing changes and starts on the same situation as before, the dism and sfc shows same messages

Also my windows sometimes saying that we are adding some features but after couple of minutes it says something happened we are not able to add the feature.

I even has an ISO image of windows 10 build 2004, I tried to update with it, but when it reaches 82% the system restarts, when it starts again it continues on the updates, but suddenly it restarts and shows undoing changes made to your pc and starts to the old version again.

I want to install .net, preferably without doing a complete update to the system.

:)

MohamedHafiz249, Aug 29, 2020

2. Windows .NET Framework 4.7 Update Failed / Catastrophic Failure / 0x8000ffff

Hi Nick,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you are not able to install a specific update. This could be caused by missing update components or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you attempted to manually install the update and check if the same issue occurs?
    • We would also like to confirm what is the build number of Windows 10 that is installed in your computer?

As a initial recommendation, you can follow the steps provided by pvdg42 that is available through this

link
    to install the update manually and correct the error. The steps posted was for a previous version of
    Microsoft .NET Framework, but they still apply and all you need to do is use the latest version of the installer.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Error 0x8000FFFF: Catastrophic Failure

Hi Paty,

The Error 0x8000FFFF: Catastrophic Failure may have occurred due to the recent change on your PC or the issue came from the USB Drive itself. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you tried to use the USB Drive and create a new folder on a different PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Aug 29, 2020
  4. NickC888 Win User

Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5

Windows .NET Framework 4.7 Update Failed / Catastrophic Failure / 0x8000ffff

Hi,

I am facing a Windows Update error that I can't seem to get past.

1. Custom built PC (X99), less than 12 months old, new install of WIndows 10.

2. Windows Defender not active, never had any anti virus software installed.

3. I've tried the Windows Update troubleshooter tool, it also failed to resolve an issue with "Potential Windows Update Database error detected - Not Fixed"

Below is the installation log, I can provide the CBS.log file if asked.

Any tips greatly appreciated. Would like to avoid a full re-install but if that's what's needed I'll do it...

OS Version = 10.0.14393, SP = 0.0, Platform 2

OS Description = Future OS - x64

MSI = 5.0.14393.576

Windows servicing = 10.0.14393.0

CommandLine = E:\edb8dbb454a9ab3651a670a9f6e4\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /redist

TimeZone = AUS Eastern Standard Time

Initial LCID = 3081

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing

Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 Setup

Package Version = 4.7.02053

User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled

Number of applicable items: 6

RmShutdown failed with error: 351

RmShutdown failed with error: 351

Exe (E:\edb8dbb454a9ab3651a670a9f6e4\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.

Exe Log File: L: dd_SetupUtility.txt

Exe (E:\edb8dbb454a9ab3651a670a9f6e4\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.

Exe Log File: L: dd_SetupUtility.txt

Exe (E:\edb8dbb454a9ab3651a670a9f6e4\x64-Windows10.0-KB3186568-x64.cab) failed with 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure .

Exe Log File: L: CBS.log

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x8000FFFF), "Catastrophic failure " (Elapsed time: 0 00:03:50).

NickC888, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5

1. Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when trying to install .net framework 3.5 - Similar Threads - Catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff

2. .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 Installation Catastrophic failure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 Installation Catastrophic failure.: I have been trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 for months now, nothing I seem to do will fix it. Reinstalling windows is currently not an option right now.Whenever I try to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 from either the offline installer offered from Microsoft...
  3. .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 Installation Catastrophic failure.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 Installation Catastrophic failure.: I have been trying to install the .NET Framework 3.5 for months now, nothing I seem to do will fix it. Reinstalling windows is currently not an option right now.Whenever I try to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 from either the offline installer offered from Microsoft...
  4. .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 Installation Catastrophic failure.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error when trying to enable .net framework 3..5

Error when trying to enable .net framework 3..5: Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.Windows couldn't find the files to complete the requested changes. Make sure you are connected to internet, and try again.Error code: 0x80070490I was trying to enable .net framework 3.5 and it bombs with the above error...
  6. Error when trying to enable .net framework 3..5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to enable .net framework 3..5: Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.Windows couldn't find the files to complete the requested changes. Make sure you are connected to internet, and try again.Error code: 0x80070490I was trying to enable .net framework 3.5 and it bombs with the above error...
  7. error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure: upgraded to windows 11 couldn't write to non os drive removed bit locker now get error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure to all other drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x8000ffff-catastrophic-failure/95425d4d-f281-4dad-b9ab-b24deeaa3746
  8. error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure

error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure: upgraded to windows 11 couldn't write to non os drive removed bit locker now get error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure to all other drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x8000ffff-catastrophic-failure/95425d4d-f281-4dad-b9ab-b24deeaa3746
  9. Catastrophic Failure Error 0x8000FFFF"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Catastrophic Failure Error 0x8000FFFF": Catastrophic Failure Error 0x8000FFFF" Error MessageWhen I try to open a new folder I get this errorthen I tried to copy a file and got this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/catastrophic-failure-error-0x8000ffff/8e237cdb-1aad-4918-9795-cf1f72dd160b
  10. Catastrophic Failure (0x8000ffff) when trying to install Minecraft: Education Edition. Does...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Catastrophic Failure (0x8000ffff) when trying to install Minecraft: Education Edition. Does...: I'm trying to download Minecraft: Education Edition but everytime it reaches 3% I get the the error. Keep in mind I am on a school laptop and do not have access to the Microsoft store or commands....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. net framework error code (0x8000ffff) catastrophic failure

2. installation failed with error code (0x8000ffff) catastrophic failure

3. PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 2147549183 (translates to HRESULT = 0x8000ffff)