Windows 10: Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

Discus and support Caught between local and Microsoft accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts. 1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by crawfish, Nov 4, 2018.

1. crawfish Win User

Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts.

1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or "Sign in with a local account instead" option under Settings/Accounts/Your info. This page shows my local account name, which is just my first name, and my Microsoft account email address. (I upgraded just a few weeks ago from Windows 8.1 and never signed in with a Microsoft account as best I can recall.)

2. My other machine is working right. When I switch to my Microsoft account, it shows my full name and email address. When I switch to my local account, it shows my first name and "Local Account" instead of my email address. There is the complementary "Sign in instead" option in both cases. Note the differences here between this machine and the situation described for the other machine in (1). (I upgraded from Windows 7 a few months ago, and I know I switched to a Microsoft account early on before switching back to my local account.)

3. The old-style Control Panel "User Accounts" shows "Local Account" for (1).

4. The local and Microsoft account names and passwords are the same for both machines.

Any ideas?

:)

crawfish, Nov 4, 2018

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Nov 4, 2018
  4. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can log into your computer using the Local Account.

• On the Search Bar type “User Account”.
      • On the right menu pane locate and click “Make changes to my account in this PC”.
      • Then locate and click on “Sign in With a Local Account instead”.
      • And follow on screen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

1. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts - Similar Threads - Caught between local

2. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?: On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is "Jamie" and my profile folder shares the same name. I do not sign in to Windows with my Microsoft account username and password...
  3. First updates insane time differences between a Microsoft Account and a Local Account.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    First updates insane time differences between a Microsoft Account and a Local Account.: Whenever I install the first updates from a Microsoft Account, it takes like an hour+. Today I've installed the first updates on a Local Account and in 5 minutes it was done. I am actually afraid my system disn't probably update optimally. I am talking about the update, when...
  4. Half way between a local account and a microsoft account = nothing really works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Half way between a local account and a microsoft account = nothing really works: My hard drive was replaced, and the guy at the shop reinstalled windows with only a local account. I logged onto this account, and followed the prompts to convert it to my microsoft online account. Somehow it is stuck half way, which means my computer is stuck in a weird...
  5. Local Account / Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local Account / Microsoft Account: I have a desktop & a laptop and on both the devices I have logged in with my Microsoft account, but unlike my desktop when I login to my laptop, it makes me sign with a password not a pin which I had setup myself in Settings>Sign-in options>Password. To remove this I simply...
  6. Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?: Im trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of relevant tutorials, but Im still confused about certain basic matters. 1. Does an Administrator who is set up as a Local...
  7. Local account to microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Local account to microsoft account?: So my microsft account is linked with a activated windows theres no problem with that. I built a pc and before installing windows with a local account i have some question. I know you can log in with your microsoft account after seting it up with a local account but will the...
  8. Conflict between my local Settings and the Microsoft Account online

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Conflict between my local Settings and the Microsoft Account online: Hi, I have bought a Windows 10 app but it tells me "it looks like you don't have any devices linked to your account". I try to add a Windows PC, and get the dialog box telling me how to do it. "Go to Settings - Your info - click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead"...
  9. Microsoft account or local account ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  10. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows: I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local account, it indicated my original...