Windows 10: CCleaner broke windows. Reinstalled fresh copy & now file PC boots/ file explorer/windows...

Discus and support CCleaner broke windows. Reinstalled fresh copy & now file PC boots/ file explorer/windows... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've run CCleaner once a month or so for over 2 years and had no issues, but yesterday I ran it and then restarted my PC. The Windows boot screen idled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robomonke, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Robomonke Win User

CCleaner broke windows. Reinstalled fresh copy & now file PC boots/ file explorer/windows...

I've run CCleaner once a month or so for over 2 years and had no issues, but yesterday I ran it and then restarted my PC. The Windows boot screen idled for a few minutes and then went to black.

- I tried to let the windows repair tool run, but it didn't work.
    - I tried to restore a system restore point, but it was unable to do so.

Eventually, I just reinstalled a fresh copy of windows and formatted the old SSD that Windows was previously installed on.

I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD and have had no problems with them. But, after the fresh install, the PC wouldn't recognize them. One SSD is 128g with the operating system and a few programs and the other SSD and HDD are 500g and mostly used for files and a few other programs. I kept getting two errors:

- Access Denied
    - You don't have permission to change settings for this drive

I am on an admin account and have tried the following steps:

- I ran disk manager and was able to eventually convert the HDD to a simple drive and access it.
    - The 2nd SSD will not convert, open, or even allow me to right click and view properties.
    - The 2nd SSD shows up on the device manager, the disk manager, and under My PC. However, it has 0.0 MB of space and has no idea what the max space is.
    - I can't seem to convert it, open it, or review/change the "Properties" option of the second SSD. I'd prefer not to format the whole thing.

In addition to all of this, the file explorer/windows folder navigation is now significantly slower than it used to be. I installed all the same drivers from before, made no hardware changes of any kind, and used the same boot USB from before.

The machine also boots up significantly slower than before. Previously, it took about 2-3 seconds from the successful boot beep to being able to click things on my desktop. Now, it is closer to 10 seconds and idles/loads on the windows boot screen and login screen.

I'm stumped about how to access my drive without formatting it or why the boot/navigation in Windows in roughly 3-4x slower than before.

Thank you.

:)

Robomonke, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 4, 2018
  3. geno368 Win User
    Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Dec 4, 2018
  4. zOaib Win User

CCleaner broke windows. Reinstalled fresh copy & now file PC boots/ file explorer/windows...

Windows Missing hal.dll file , how to reinstall without reformating

its not my pc , my bros dell xps , he boots it and right where it goes into boot log , it halts and says windows/system32/hal.dll file missing , replace

zOaib, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CCleaner broke windows. Reinstalled fresh copy & now file PC boots/ file explorer/windows... - Similar Threads - CCleaner broke Reinstalled

2. Reinstalled W10, now file explorer works badly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalled W10, now file explorer works badly.: I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a problem i had, so i downloaded the latest and installed. I noticed that windows explorer just stops working unexpectedly when trying to move folders or opening other drives (USB as well). Upgraded CPU some days ago but the problem existed...
  3. File Explorer - Copy Files en-masse

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer - Copy Files en-masse: Hi,it was sometime back but there was a little app/too/bit of software that used a .csv file to copy files from one structure to another in Windows Explorer.Off the top of my head the .csv looked if one line something like:FromToFullPathFullPathC:\Users\huw.grossmith\Foodbank...
  4. File Explorer - Copy Files en-masse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer - Copy Files en-masse: Hi,it was sometime back but there was a little app/too/bit of software that used a .csv file to copy files from one structure to another in Windows Explorer.Off the top of my head the .csv looked if one line something like:FromToFullPathFullPathC:\Users\huw.grossmith\Foodbank...
  5. How to reinstall Windows fresh and keeping all files?

How to reinstall Windows fresh and keeping all files?: Ive googled for an hour now and cant find any way to do what i want. I just want to install windows fresh and keep all my files. None of the Programms should be installed. I just want all data backed up in a folder like in window.old when i upgraded from win 7 to 10. Anyone...
  6. Copying files in File Explorer

Copying files in File Explorer: Copying files in File Explorer is not working as expected. When I am trying to copy several files, it closes down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-in-file-explorer/05006916-943f-467b-ab5d-6043e51ce79d
  7. File Sharing - Problem Copying Files With File Explorer

File Sharing - Problem Copying Files With File Explorer: With Win7 support gone, I finally got 2 Win10 x64 Pro v1909 machines up and running. Like so many other Win10 users, I have struggled to get network sharing to work. I have Googled, read and followed countless procedures and suggestions over the past few weeks, ad nauseam....
  8. Windows 10 file explorer copy changed ?

Windows 10 file explorer copy changed ?: [ATTACH] In my 18362.418 build its taking <1 second to copy a 900MB file from my m.2 nvme ssd TO a wd blue hdd 1 TB 5200RPM using the windows explorer copier, but with teracopy it takes full 5 seconds as it should. In task manager however, firstly the hdd usage shoots to...
  9. Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 Copy path or Copy as path will copy the full path of selected items (files and folders) wrapped in quotes to the Clipboard so you can paste the full path(s) of the item(s)...
  10. Cleaning windows files with CCleaner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cleaning windows files with CCleaner: I need suggestion about cleaning windows files with CCleaner, what files can i remove safely without damaging my OS. And which one should i checklist from menu. I am adding some screenshots. [img] [img] 80098