Windows 10: CCleaner is, IMO, safe to use. Windows 10

Discus and support CCleaner is, IMO, safe to use. Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Some time ago, experts here advised us to uninstall it; it had been bought by Avast and ended up 'bloated' and was causing issues. If you search the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Taffy087, May 8, 2020.

1. Taffy087 Win User

CCleaner is, IMO, safe to use. Windows 10

Some time ago, experts here advised us to uninstall it; it had been bought by Avast and ended up 'bloated' and was causing issues. If you search the Community you'll see that there are lots of queries about the App, mainly "is this safe?".

I asked the same question in my thread HERE and was told by an Independent Advisor that it would corrupt my system and was also slow. I asked him what evidence he had but I'll never find out because this is what his profile shows

This profile was previously affiliated with Microsoft and has since been retired. Previous posts can still be viewed for this account.

I've no idea what 'retired' means and it would be wrong of me to wonder whether or not it mean "sacked - not up to scratch".

I've just installed version 5.66. It worked immediately with NO problems. So if any other user has problems, I suggest that they install it from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Their very helpful community forum is here https://community.ccleaner.com/

Unless experts here disagree with my findings, of course

* Original title: Ccleaner is safe to use. Windows 10

:)

Taffy087, May 8, 2020

2. CCleaner

> Is it safe to install ccleaner on my pc?

Depends...

Piriform (the maker of CCleaner etc) was bought by Avast in July 2017 and there was this nasty incident...

All CCleaner versions are bundling Avast AV and/or various Google products such as Google Chrome, a Google toolbar and possibly other products....

Microsoft Community has seen quite a few of related threads.

Recently more and more threads are popping up in the Piriform/CCleaner forum which hint at even more questionable methods...

Here are a few recent example threads:

IMO, CCleaner is not unproblematic and has to be treated carefully.

I, personally, would not recommend CCleaner to inexperienced and/or not so tech-savvy persons...

Suggestion to inform yourself before installing CCleaner (or any other product) and to always, always keep your eyes wide open during installation (watch out for any bundled softwares etc etc).

You also might want to read this article (in case you don't use an ad blocker: ignore all advertisements):

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

WRT to CCleaner on Windows 10:

According to
    this
    post Windows 10 blocks older versions: "CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting."

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, May 8, 2020
  3. CCleaner Safe?

I love to use CCleaner to remove temporary files and cookies but is the registry cleaner acctually safe to use? Would I be best off avoiding using it?

BababooeyHTJ, May 8, 2020
  4. Polarman Win User

CCleaner Safe?

CCleaner uses internally-stored settings (.INI) files to determine which Windows settings and installed applications to clean, and how to clean them. You can modify these .INI files by creating replacement external ones and placing them in CCleaner's installation folder.

Check here for more info:

CCleaner.com - CCleaner .INI files

That's what i did to cleanup some more things.

Polarman, May 8, 2020
Thema:

1. CCleaner is, IMO, safe to use. Windows 10 - Similar Threads - CCleaner IMO safe

2. Is CCleaner safe or effective?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is CCleaner safe or effective?: I have been using CCleaner for a while now. However recently I have heard that it is not safe or effective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ccleaner-safe-or-effective/1a8fa485-f1be-4d47-9bfb-b9694b3cc7d6
  3. Is CCleaner safe or effective?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is CCleaner safe or effective?: I have been using CCleaner for a while now. However recently I have heard that it is not safe or effective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ccleaner-safe-or-effective/1a8fa485-f1be-4d47-9bfb-b9694b3cc7d6
  4. Is CCleaner safe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is CCleaner safe?: I normally yes it to clear the history of the web browsers I use, empty recycle bin and things like that to save me having to do all these things one at a time. But I saw something that said they'd been hacked and up to some shady stuff. Is it safe? Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Ccleaner is safe to use. Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ccleaner is safe to use. Windows 10: Some time ago, experts here advised us to uninstall it; it had been bought by Avast and ended up 'bloated' and was causing issues. If you search the Community you'll see that there are lots of queries about the App, mainly "is this safe?". I asked the same question in my...
  6. Is CCleaner safe to use in Windows 10, revisited!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is CCleaner safe to use in Windows 10, revisited!: I lost a key file on Friday doing disk maintenance. On Monday when I went to use the file, it was no longer there, along with the folder it was in. I searched on Google for a file utility that would be able to find recently deleted files. Enter CCCleaner! As a result of...
  7. CCleaner "status" as "safe to use"?

CCleaner "status" as "safe to use"?: Hi. Not so long a go, Piriform/Avast had some serious issues with Free CCleaner (from user point of view) for e.g. forcibly running in the background, updating itself without user interaction etc. Now they seem to introduce some "Software Updater" functionality which I...
  8. Is CCleaner safe to use?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is CCleaner safe to use?: I was wondering if CCleaner would be a good safe program to help me remove a bunch of junk files from my computer that Disk Cleanup will not do. I looked online and found that a lot of people seem to like it, but then I saw on a wiki page that back in 2017 or 2016 it was...
  9. How to allow IMO Messenger to use microphone in windows 10?

How to allow IMO Messenger to use microphone in windows 10?: I have installed IMO Messenger recently on Windows 10 Laptop. It can access Camera but can't access microphone to capture my voice. I have looked at Setting>>Privacy>>Microphone and found that there is no sign of IMO Messenger. Other apps (like Skype) can access the...
  10. Is CCleaner safe now ?!

Is CCleaner safe now ?!: So guys i was wondering is it safe to use CCleaner, even i tested the latest version on Virustotal and still shows 2/62 infected !? [img] 95083