Windows 10: CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer?

Discus and support CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Kinda funny to see how many of us this has been happening too. Most of us just seem to live with it. I never even thought to post the problem on here.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by possom2009, Sep 29, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer?

Kinda funny to see how many of us this has been happening too. Most of us just seem to live with it. I never even thought to post the problem on here. Nice to know, I was not alone thou. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 1, 2015

2. I like to know when Edge & IE are running, because as original poster said, I don't use either; telling it not to show that Edge & IE needs to be shut down, defeats that purpose.
    But still the question has not been answered, except for "maybe it's the live tiles" answer. It seems as if CCleaner has two issues every other update:
    1) Edge needs to be shut down
    2) There's always a Windows file or 2 that doesn't get cleaned. Last update, I did not run into either issue this month I did. April I did. March no, and so on. For some reason it seems to be alternating updates. I keep hoping I find the answer. It's annoying as you know where. So, off to Piriform I go. Again.

LegendsOfBatman, May 25, 2016
  3. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It does not really matter if you don't use either as a browser, as JohnC correctly pointed out Edge is running in the background and communicates with other apps.

You can turn this off and then Ccleaner will no longer show the prompt to close these browsers. Go to All Settings, Privacy, Background Apps.

Personally this prompt form Ccleaner doesn't bother me at all. Just click OK and let it do its job.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 28, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I find CCleaner is simply cleaning up Temporary Internet Files and needs the browsers closed to do so.

Berton, May 28, 2016
  5. mrhagerty Win User
    CCleaner ironically defeats a privacy objective in forcing closure of Edge. It cleans history for future app access to this data, BUT because it closes Edge before cleaning, it doesn't prevent Edge from sending your browser actions and history to Microsoft, which happens immediately on browser close, acc to Microsoft. You can clear history before closing Edge (if that isn't a clever lie) but that is a habit you have to develop.

mrhagerty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer? - Similar Threads - CCleaner needs close

2. Why the system closes Internet Explorer automatically and starts Microsoft Edge instead?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why the system closes Internet Explorer automatically and starts Microsoft Edge instead?: I'm a industry system integrator. I need to use 32-bit Internet Explorer to open the webpage for some devices. The Windows 10 closes the Internet Explorer automatically and open the Microsoft Edge instead when I open the IE. How can fix it?...
  3. Why the system closes Internet Explorer automatically and starts Microsoft Edge instead?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why the system closes Internet Explorer automatically and starts Microsoft Edge instead?: I'm a industry system integrator. I need to use 32-bit Internet Explorer to open the webpage for some devices. The Windows 10 closes the Internet Explorer automatically and open the Microsoft Edge instead when I open the IE. How can fix it?...
  4. Why the system closes Internet Explorer automatically and starts Microsoft Edge instead?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  6. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  7. internet explorer , not microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet explorer , not microsoft edge: hi all, I took my internet explorer off my task bar and now I cant use anything but Microsoft EDGE , which I hate. Can anyone tell me how I can get my old internet explorer search engine back? thanks james...
  8. Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).

Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).: I use W10 and IE10 and Firefox, not Edge. Just recently found CCleaner now skips IE Temp Int Files, History and Cookies. Reverted to earlier version, same. A Google search suggested this could be due to something running in the background. Looking in Task Manager, I found IE...
  9. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11: I play a game that when I click on a link in the Chat it opens my browser and opens it directly to the link, but my Default browser is Microsoft Edge but, it always opens for me Internet Explorer 11. Can anyone help me in this please? 31738
  10. CCleaner Wants to Close Edge

CCleaner Wants to Close Edge: I'm not using Edge but I am using IE 11. Any idea why CCleaner wants to close Edge ever time I run the cleaner?? If I'm not using it why is it open? James 47521