Windows 10: Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting)

Discus and support Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi! I want to always Permanently Delete (Shred) files and folders on my PC so that no one can recover those data. Now I heard for a program called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anwer, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Anwer Win User

Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting)

Hi! I want to always Permanently Delete (Shred) files and folders on my PC so that no one can recover those data. Now I heard for a program called Eraser which allows us to shred files/folders by clicking right click of mouse on the files/folders and then choosing Shredding (Permanently Delete).

So my question is: can I normally delete all files/folders which means that those files/folders are now in Recycle Bin. And then I just open Ccleaner and I set Secure Deletion to Very Complex Overwrite (35 passes) and I also check 3 boxes there (Wipe Alternate Data Streams, Wipe Cluster Tips and Wipe MFT Free Space) and I also check Local Disc (C) and Local Disk (D) boxes and then I just click Run Cleaner and now all the files from Recycle Bin will be Permanently Deleted (Shredded) and no one will be able to recover those files? If this is true, then I don't need Eraser to permanently delete (shred) files/folders. So I'd really like to know the answer from someone who knows this for sure. Thank you for your time and your answers! Best regards!

:)

Anwer, Jan 14, 2016
  2. AlMNewman Win User

How to permanently delete a file from Windows 10 on Surface 3

That deletes the file without placing it in the recycle bin. However, that doesn't prevent the file from being recovered with any one of a number of restore programs (Undelete, Recuva). This isn't sufficient for sensitive files or financial documents. Does
    Microsoft have an app that actually overwrites the sectors the file is in? CCleaner and Eraser were the programs I was using with earlier Windows versions.

Thanks

AlMNewman, Jan 14, 2016
  3. I need to scratch a hard drive with a USB drive, how can I do it?

Do you want to delete them completely as in "no one can restore them" or just delete them "dont care if someone can restore the data"?

If you want to sell the drive in ebay, you should take option 1.

Option 1 would require you to overwrite every bit of the drive with random 0 or 1... 7 times... If you want to fullfil the military standards.

There are actually a lot of programs that can do that -> Check out CCleaner.

btw. This does not work for USB-Sticks, Pendrive, SSD and everything based on this technology... A function called "Wear Leavering" will decide which bits in the drive are overwritten and thats not the part that you want to overwrite most of the time.

Alexei Stukov, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

I would say CCleaner does a better job than Eraser anyway , you dont need both *Smile

Archie123, Jan 14, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    If you are indeed using Enterprise then just turn on bitlocker and encrypt the whole drive.

You haven't filled in you specs but if you use HDD there is never any point overwriting more than once with zero. It could (theoretically) be retrieved bit by bit with an electron microscope but no-one (not even the US government or your mum) will have the finance to do that.

Overwriting 35 times is a joke and a complete waste of time. See here

If you have a SSD there is no need to overwrite anything at all. See here

When you want to give your disk away just "forget" your bitlocker password and you are done.

There are people who believe all sort of things though - for example the NSA has backdoors in Seagate and WD HDD. If you fit in that category then you are a bit stuck. That would mean you can't trust anyone, can't use any computer hardware and have to memorize everything or store it on a bit of paper under a park bench.

Could make life a bit inconvenient IMO but then you'd hardly be asking about it here if it was really a concern for you I hope..

6. Anwer Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Enterprise x64 and I use HDD. Since I'm always on web in incognito mode I don't collect any history and that's why I was using 35 passes for a long time - my computer is cleaned in few minutes even when using 35 passes hehe *Smile I trust you that 1 pass is enough, but It's just cool to me to clean with 35 passes hahah *Biggrin

But you still didn't answer my question - which is: When I normally delete files/folders it means that those files/folders are now placed in Recycle Bin, right? So, if I don't empty Recycle Bin, but I run CCleaner instead, does that mean that all those files/folders in Recycle Bin are gonna be overwritten with 35 passes and no one will be able to recover those files?

And I actually don't know what it means that BitLocker encrypts my whole drive. I'm kinda scared to do that because I never tryed to encrypt my drives so I don't know what that means, how will that look like and what will happen with my PC when that encryption is turned ON hehe *Smile

Anwer, Jan 14, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    If you are concerned about privacy I'd start here Tor Project: Overview

Don't get hung up on local risks though (someone taking away and analyzing your local disk) - you give much more away using google, posting on a forum or owning a mobile phone.

I use bitlocker just in case I leave my laptop in a taxi or in the pub (yet again). If I found your laptop in a taxi then I could read all your documents and emails, see what websites you visit and so on if it wasn't encrypted. So could anyone else.

Anyway to answer your question, yes. CCleaner overwriting things 35 times would make it unreadable (so would once). If you don't empty the recycle bin then the files are not deleted and not overwritten at all (they are only flagged as deleted but otherwise are the same on disk). What you don't realise is that you probably have other copies of files that can also be retrieved.

So best thing to do (minimum) empty the recyle bin and then overwiite clean space. Better, turn on bitlocker (then if you lose your laptop I can't read anything).

Even better, be careful who you reveal yourself to. Hide and encrypt everything on the internet. Always pay cash, use disposable passports and cell phones and never sleep in the same place twice.. That could be a bit of a hassle though I guess *Wink

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ccleaner - Secure Deletion (Overwritting) - Similar Threads - Ccleaner Secure Deletion

2. CCleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CCleaner: when I select Ccleaner it's too big for the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ccleaner/4d3f2c1b-8d6b-4184-bd8d-d2ce7a44e72d
  3. Microsoft Store was deleted with CCleaner

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store was deleted with CCleaner: I accidentally deleted the Microsoft Store with CCleaner, along with a bunch of other preinstalled apps. Is there any way I can get them back without paying or reinstalling Windows? (I'm using a standard account and I don't know the admin password, so anything that would...
  4. CCleaner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CCleaner: Is CCleaner safe to reinstall on laptop using Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ccleaner/2db1feb0-ed2c-4ec6-95de-d0e92c109eb4"
  5. Deleting icon of CCleaner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting icon of CCleaner: I installed CCleaner, ran the program and then uninstalled it. I seems to have uninstalled successfully but the desktop icon remained. I dragged it to the recycle bin but it popped up on my desktop. I tried to right-click (no luck), then double clicked but now the icon and...
  6. ccleaner deleting

in Browsers and Email
    ccleaner deleting: This problem solved a long time back, now it is happening again, ccleaner removes user name and password from sites, this one included, I tell sites to remember password, ccleaner has list of cookies not to delete, right now this is happening on edge and not firefox, ccleaner...
  7. CCleaner show deleted files in bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CCleaner show deleted files in bin: Hello, I don't know if my W10 registry is messed up or why does CCleaner show files in recycle bin that Windows does not show. CCleaner shows 2 files that has been there but are deleted. See attachment. If this is fixable don't want to re-install W10 because of this. have...
  8. CCleaner

CCleaner: What is you guys opinion on this program? I bought the professional version and have used CCleaner for many years but I feel like its beginning to make a small difference on my computer... the cleaning isnt as good as it used to be many years ago... what do you guys think,...
  9. Ccleaner

Ccleaner: Each time I log into my user profile, Ccleaner asks for permissions to run. How can I stop this? Note: I could probably go to Google and research this problem, but I always like to hear something from this forum as I trust you guys and your solutions as they always...
  10. Ccleaner or ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ccleaner or ?: Is Ccleaner the only tool you can clean your Windows 10 with(not registry)safely? I have Bitdefender Total Security 2018, can I use the optimizer build in that product? I am not a techie so what software out there can I use? [img] 91807