Windows 10: CCleaner

Discus and support CCleaner in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 2 accounts, Local User and Local Administrator. When I run CCleaner I perform the first run as local user, the second run as Administrator. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Stitch194, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Stitch194 Win User

CCleaner

I have 2 accounts, Local User and Local Administrator. When I run CCleaner I perform the first run as local user, the second run as Administrator. It amazes me how much junk CCleaner finds in the Admin account which I only log IN occasionally for PC maintenance.
    The Admin junk files are mostly IE and Edge. How can this be if I never use either browser, or seldom log IN to my Admin account. *Rolleyes

:)

Stitch194, Sep 8, 2018
  2. michaeltyson Win User

ccleaner

Does anyone use ccleaner?? I know some people that use it and say its amazing! Any suggestions on a better small scale computer cleaner?

michaeltyson, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Jsssssssss Win User
    CCleaner

> Is it safe to install ccleaner on my pc?

Depends...

Piriform (the maker of CCleaner etc) was bought by Avast in July 2017 and there was this nasty incident...

All CCleaner versions are bundling Avast AV and/or various Google products such as Google Chrome, a Google toolbar and possibly other products....

Microsoft Community has seen quite a few of related threads.

Recently more and more threads are popping up in the Piriform/CCleaner forum which hint at even more questionable methods...

Here are a few recent example threads:

IMO, CCleaner is not unproblematic and has to be treated carefully.

I, personally, would not recommend CCleaner to inexperienced and/or not so tech-savvy persons...

Suggestion to inform yourself before installing CCleaner (or any other product) and to always, always keep your eyes wide open during installation (watch out for any bundled softwares etc etc).

You also might want to read this article (in case you don't use an ad blocker: ignore all advertisements):

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

WRT to CCleaner on Windows 10:

According to
    this
    post Windows 10 blocks older versions: "CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting."

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Sep 8, 2018
  4. OldMike65 Win User

CCleaner

Latest CCleaner Version Released

@Brink

New Update for CCleaner

CCleaner [​IMG]

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 CCleaner v5.40

CCleaner cc4_128.png

The Piriform team would like to announce the latest release of CCleaner for Windows.
    This update adds more cleaning for Edge and a screen where you can review your subscription status. Additionally, the Avast offer in the CCleaner installer is no longer shown if you have previously declined it.
    If you have suggestions for what you'd like to see next in CCleaner, please drop by our forums and let us know in our suggestions area.
    Browser Cleaning

• Edge: Added new 'Set aside tabs' cleaning rule
    Windows Cleaning

• Added warning for 'Old prefetch data' cleaning rule
    General

• Minor user interface improvements
    • Minor bug fixes

OldMike65, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

CCleaner

1. CCleaner - Similar Threads - CCleaner

2. Does WIndows 10 security/diagnostics include something like CCleaner?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does WIndows 10 security/diagnostics include something like CCleaner?: I am looking to learn if Windows 10 has a diagnostic or security that cleans the operation files as CCleaner does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-10-securitydiagnostics-include/bc415aae-1fd4-43cd-847b-3c478d963582"
  3. CCleaner

CCleaner: Is CCleaner safe to reinstall on laptop using Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ccleaner/2db1feb0-ed2c-4ec6-95de-d0e92c109eb4"
  4. CCleaner large amount of Registry Errors with various HKCR, HKCU, HKLM key path - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CCleaner large amount of Registry Errors with various HKCR, HKCU, HKLM key path - Windows 10: The various problems are ActiveX/Com, Application Paths, Installer Reference, Missing shared DLL, Open with Application Issue. Can I clean/delete these? Why am I getting these? Are the old windows files? I use Windows 10....
  5. Ccleaner safe or will it cause more issues?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ccleaner safe or will it cause more issues?: I have a couple of questions, first is Ccleaner okay to use? Also whats a safe site to download it from? I’ve uninstalled Microsoft Flight Simulator Stream and reinstalled it but at times it will freeze up when switching from one aircraft to another. I want to uninstall the...
  6. Deleting icon of CCleaner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting icon of CCleaner: I installed CCleaner, ran the program and then uninstalled it. I seems to have uninstalled successfully but the desktop icon remained. I dragged it to the recycle bin but it popped up on my desktop. I tried to right-click (no luck), then double clicked but now the icon and...
  7. Watch out for Avast installation with CCleaner!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Watch out for Avast installation with CCleaner!: A couple of times Avast has installed without my permission with CCLeaner. There was actually no option to exclude Avast from installtion! Despite uninstalling it immediately a few weeks down the track (today) I found some remnants in Task Scheduler: [img] 117813
  8. Is CCleaner safe to use?

Is CCleaner safe to use?: I was wondering if CCleaner would be a good safe program to help me remove a bunch of junk files from my computer that Disk Cleanup will not do. I looked online and found that a lot of people seem to like it, but then I saw on a wiki page that back in 2017 or 2016 it was...
  9. How to disable Active Monitoring in CCleaner Free

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Active Monitoring in CCleaner Free: [ATTACH] In the recent CCleaner 5.45 version released by Piriform/Avast, a new active monitoring feature has been introduced. It is almost impossible to disable the Active Monitoring of CCleaner. This has invited angry reactions from the public over the flawed functioning...
  10. CCleaner provokes fury over Active Monitoring, user data collection

in Windows 10 News
    CCleaner provokes fury over Active Monitoring, user data collection: In CCleaner version 5.45, a changelog note says the company "added more detailed reporting for bug fixes and product improvements." However, as noted by Ghacks, this broadly covers data collection changes which users were not best pleased about. The monitoring elements of...