Windows 10: CD commands not available in File Explorer

Discus and support CD commands not available in File Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two optical drives connected: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B USB Device 1 I cannot read a blank CD-R or CD-RW on my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by apdubois, Sep 14, 2021.

1. apdubois Win User

CD commands not available in File Explorer

I have two optical drives connected: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B USB Device 1 I cannot read a blank CD-R or CD-RW on my Windows 10 machine. 2 The Format, Erase and Burn commands are *not* available anywhere in File Explorer on my machine. 3 The only CD command available is to Eject. I CAN burn an .iso file to a blank CD-RW. I CAN burn music files to a CD using Media Player. My disks work fine on another Windows 10 machine. The Format, Erase and Burn commands are all available on another Windows 10 machine. Why are the CD commands not available in File Explorer on

:)

apdubois, Sep 14, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

3. KomouPoji Win User
    how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Sep 14, 2021
  4. mpeill Win User

CD drive missing from File Explorer

I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected.
    Under view options, the box is unticked for "hide empty drives".
    Under device manager the drive shows as present and working normally.
    I have tried switching autoplay on and off with no effect (suggested as a fix elsewhere).
    Any ideas?

mpeill, Sep 14, 2021
Thema:

1. CD commands not available in File Explorer - Similar Threads - commands available File

2. cd command promtp

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cd command promtp: how do i find my desktop in POWERSHELL ? using cdi can get to documentsso from C:\users\xxxx\documentswhen i try C:\users\xxxx\documents>cd ..\desktopOUTPUT: cannot find path because it doesn't exists when i run: ls -force C:\the output does not list DESKTOP all im trying to...
  3. File Explorer CD Burn disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer CD Burn disabled: Compter: Dell Optiplex 9010 Win 10 Pro 20H2 19042.844 DVD/CD Drive: LG: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 Driver: MS 21/06/2006 10.0.19041.1 Device Type: DVD/CDRom drives Registry HKLM\Sftwr\MS\Win\CV\Polices\Explorer NoCDBurning 0 LocalGroupPolicy...
  4. no cd\dvd in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no cd\dvd in file explorer: file explorer no showing cd\dvd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cddvd-in-file-explorer/8b78080c-70ab-47be-a862-4a7f233c59fa
  5. windows 10 cd/dvd file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 cd/dvd file explorer: I can not burn file to my dvd/cd from file explorer since last windows 10 undate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cddvd-file-explorer/4d55ab0b-0695-4dca-aa47-24b7ac3d98f9
  6. CD Drive detected in BIOS but not File Explorer

CD Drive detected in BIOS but not File Explorer: OK once again 4 times in as many months I have had blank screen a badge a message that says its going to scan and user password noit workin this after microsoft win 10 updates Brand new thre days old laptop up dates and then same happens locked out of machine? Have to wipe...
  7. File Explorer (or Total Commander)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer (or Total Commander): Rigt click on file, select Properties and than blck screen 2-3 sec, natig do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-or-total-commander/fb0817c6-6d0a-45c7-a89a-66fa46e2829e"
  8. CD/DVD drive not listed in File Explorer

CD/DVD drive not listed in File Explorer: Earlier today, my cd/dvd drive disappeared from File Explorer. I insert a dvd and it spins, but nothing happens after that. I walked through some CMD prompts with support tech to no avail. I have uninstalled in Device Manager and rebooted - nada. I can see the drive in...
  9. CD drive missing from File Explorer

CD drive missing from File Explorer: I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected. Under view options, the box is...
  10. CD/DVD not showing on file explorer

CD/DVD not showing on file explorer: I noticed that on my W10 build, that the cd/dvd (Drive D: in my case) does not show on file explorer. However if I put a blank disk or a disk with data, it will show. This behavior is different than Win7, which always shows the cd/dvd drive. Is this a problem or feature??...