Windows 10: cd drive not working

Discus and support cd drive not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; cd's not playing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-drive-not-working/7051da43-95d8-41ea-8139-51ce1140ae39 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Reilly Hamil, Jan 26, 2019.

1. cd drive not working

cd's not playing

:)

Reilly Hamil, Jan 26, 2019
  2. shardz Win User

CD Drive not working

yeah, it is, it goes through the intital formating that takes like an hour, just fine...but the part after the mandatory comp restart where it has all the phrases like The best Windows yet..then after it asks for m cd key..about 1 min later it says i need info from my windows cd and it cant find my cd drive...but the odd part is--i looked in my bios and my cd drive is listed as slave..

shardz, Jan 26, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Marie Ave Win User

cd drive not working

CD drive not working

Hi Harold,

It is possible that your CD drive is outdated or has compatibility issues if you happen to install a recent update on your computer. For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following details:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What were the changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What version of Windows 10 are you using? To see which version of Windows 10 is installed on your PC, select the
      Start button and then select Settings. In
      Settings
      , select System > About.

To help you resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs support article.

Important note:
    This article contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before
    you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Let us know how it goes.

Marie Ave, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

cd drive not working

1. cd drive not working - Similar Threads - drive working

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. Why won't my external hard drive work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my external hard drive work?: I took the hard drive out of an old Windows laptop and used a hard drive case to connect it to my computer for storage. It worked fine, until one time it just didn't work. I had used it on both Mac and Windows, but I don't think it's a Mac filesystem compatibility thing...
  5. Why won't my external hard drive work?

Why won't my external hard drive work?: I took the hard drive out of an old Windows laptop and used a hard drive case to connect it to my computer for storage. It worked fine, until one time it just didn't work. I had used it on both Mac and Windows, but I don't think it's a Mac filesystem compatibility thing...
  6. External drive do not work properly, I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it in again to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive do not work properly, I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it in again to...: hi i have Seagate external HDD that only works when i unplug the usb cable and plug it in again. Every time i reboot the computer i have to go throught the same process again , im worry if my hdd shake too much it will damage my hdd and it more Efficient , in my laptop it...
  7. External drive do not work properly, I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it in again to...

External drive do not work properly, I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it in again to...: hi i have Seagate external HDD that only works when i unplug the usb cable and plug it in again. Every time i reboot the computer i have to go throught the same process again , im worry if my hdd shake too much it will damage my hdd and it more Efficient , in my laptop it...
  8. External drive do not work properly, I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it in again to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. unlock bitlocked e drive with key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unlock bitlocked e drive with key not working: my old c drive which is currently externally plugged in as a 'e: drive' is bitlocked and the only bitlocker key i have on my microsoft account is not working....
  10. unlock bitlocked e drive with key not working

unlock bitlocked e drive with key not working: my old c drive which is currently externally plugged in as a 'e: drive' is bitlocked and the only bitlocker key i have on my microsoft account is not working....