Windows 10: CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

Discus and support CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.1Ghz with NVidia GeForce GT730 graphic card and my CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AlexanderHamilton2, Jan 5, 2019.

1. CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

I am running AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.1Ghz with NVidia GeForce GT730 graphic card and my CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs. When a DVD is inserted the drive runs for a minute or more and then I get an error message either "insert the disc and try again" or "no media"!

The drive reads and writes to CDs OK! I do not use DVDs very often. Usually only to download software and burn to disc for installation. I have not needed to to that for some months, so I do not know when this fault developed.

Is it possible that a Windows update changed the setting and disabled the DVD part of the drive? If that is the case, perhaps the best option is to wait in hope that this problem will be resolved in a later update.

Needless to say, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Best regards,

Alex.

:)

AlexanderHamilton2, Jan 5, 2019

2. Unable to write to DVD/CDs after windows 10 upgrade

Tried what has been suggested but still cannot write to CD/DVDs. OK reading CD/DVDs

Pete

PeterCorker, Jan 5, 2019
  3. CD/DVD Drive not reading...

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Did you tried with the Burnt CD's?

I see you telling that the CD/DVD drive able to detect the DVD, but failed to detect the CD. I suspect that there might be some problem with the drivers. Try with the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it works.

• Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click
      Allow
    • In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click
      Uninstall.
    • When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click
      OK
    • Restart the computer.
    After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed. Now check if the problem still persist.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 5, 2019
  4. powerage Win User

CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

CD/DVD will not burn cd's

Thanks for your reply philc43, here is the info. I'm trying to write to a CD-R. I have also tried to write at the lowest speed.

Drive Letter : D:\
    Mechanism : Tray
    Read Speed : 24 , 20 , 12 , 6 X
    Write Speed : 24 , 16 , 12 , 8 X

Read CD Text : Yes
    Return C2 Pointers : Yes
    Read CD-R : Yes
    Read CD-RW : Yes
    Read DVD-ROM : Yes
    Read DVD-RAM : Yes
    Read DVD-R : Yes
    Read DVD-RW : Yes
    Read DVD-R DL : Yes
    Read DVD+R : Yes
    Read DVD+RW : Yes
    Read DVD+R DL : Yes
    Read BD-ROM : No
    Read BD-R : No
    Read BD-RE : No
    Read HD DVD-ROM : No
    Read HD DVD-R : No
    Read HD DVD-R DL : No
    Read HD DVD-RAM : No
    Read HD DVD-RW : No
    Read HD DVD-RW DL : No
    Read HD-BURN : No
    Read Digital Audio : Yes
    Read CD+G : Yes
    Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
    Write CD-RW : Yes
    Write DVD-R : Yes
    Write DVD-RW : Yes
    Write DVD-R DL : Yes
    Write DVD+R : Yes
    Write DVD+RW : Yes
    Write DVD+R DL : Yes
    Write DVD-RAM : No
    Write DVD-RAM : Yes
    Write BD-R : No
    Write BD-RE : No
    Write HD DVD-R : No
    Write HD DVD-R DL : No
    Write HD DVD-RAM : No
    Write HD DVD-RW : No
    Write HD DVD-RW DL : No
    Write HD-BURN-R : No
    Write HD-BURN-RW : No
    Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
    Mount Rainier : No
    SolidBurn : No
    Labelflash : No
    LightScribe : No
    Modes : Pa, LTA, LDA, LSA, LRA, LRA, LRA

Region Protection Control : RPC II
    Region : 1
    Changes User : 4
    Changes Vendor : 4

CSS : Yes
    CPRM : Yes
    AACS : No
    VCPS : No

powerage, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

1. CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK - Similar Threads - DVD drive cannot

2. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  3. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  4. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?: I have a pocket cd-rw which i want to write some files to, and i made windows format it as " use like a flash drive " . However, when i write multiple files at once, it says " This drive is cd-rom drive which cant write to a cd-rw " however it successfully writes some files....
  6. CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs

CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs: Can anyone help end my frustration?I recently started ripping my CD collection to FLAC on an external drive, using Windows Media Player, going from ABBA to Zydeco. I got as far as the letter G and tried the Gorillaz CD which turned out to be an enhanced CD which I couldn't...
  7. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  8. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  9. The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds

The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds: The dvd/cd drive cannot play movies on regular size dvd/cds. It can read a mini cd/dvd. I think I have tried just about everything except uninstall and install the driver info because I don't know how. All the diagnostics said everything is fine. Is there anything else I can...
  10. cd/dvd not reading/writing

cd/dvd not reading/writing: I have a hp notebook series 2000 laptop and my computer recognizes drive E as the cd/dvd drive and opens tray and says please insert disc. but when a disc is inserted it still tells me to insert disc. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are registering and...