Windows 10: CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

Discus and support CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AlexanderHamilton2, May 5, 2019.

1. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault persists. I am also running Linux O/S in the same PC, but on a separate hard drive and Linux cannot rear/write DVDs either, which suggests that the fault is either in the drive itself or in BIOS, perhaps. By the way, I rarely use the CD/DVD drive. Only to install software and that is no more than a few times a year, so I doubt that the drive is worn.

Finally, I also have an old IDE CD/DVD drive and when I connected it it could not read/write to DVDs, but worked with CDs.

I am running Windows 10 Home V. 1809 O/S build 17763.475

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000

Any help would be much appreciated,

Best regards,

Alex

:)

AlexanderHamilton2, May 5, 2019

2. CD/DVD Drive not reading...

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Did you tried with the Burnt CD's?

I see you telling that the CD/DVD drive able to detect the DVD, but failed to detect the CD. I suspect that there might be some problem with the drivers. Try with the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it works.

• Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click
      Allow
    • In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click
      Uninstall.
    • When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click
      OK
    • Restart the computer.
    After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed. Now check if the problem still persist.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 5, 2019
  3. RMS_123 Win User
    DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

I tried steps 1 through 5 listed in this article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-program

The DVD R/W drive is in a Dell XPS 8300 PC and this morning I ran Dell Support Assist.

The built in drive self test passed as well as the CD Rom test. Could not complete the DVD tests because it doesn't recognize that I inserted a DVD.

RMS_123, May 5, 2019
  4. jds63 Win User

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

Meaning not on the list when selecting ?

jds63, May 5, 2019
Thema:

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

1. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs - Similar Threads - DVD drive reading

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  5. DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs: I have an HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 Quad core It came with a stock HP CDDVDW SH-216BB DVD/CD-Drive I am running Windows 10 I cannot get the drive to recognize ANY DVDs. When I insert the disc, it attempts to read for a while and...
  6. CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK: I am running AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.1Ghz with NVidia GeForce GT730 graphic card and my CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs. When a DVD is inserted the drive runs for a minute or more and then I get an error message either "insert the disc and try again"...
  7. DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!

DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  8. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...
  9. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since upgrading my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading and than the drive opens and the pop up box appears stating "Insert Disk" . So I cannot install any of my software. I have read that a lot of people are having the same...