Windows 10: CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop

Discus and support CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am using a dell inspiron 15R 5520 laptop with win10 pro 1903 installed. I was installing a game using my DVD drive via steam. During the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrgk21, Apr 2, 2020.

1. /u/mrgk21 Win User

CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop

I am using a dell inspiron 15R 5520 laptop with win10 pro 1903 installed.

I was installing a game using my DVD drive via steam. During the installation, I inserted the second DVD and the DVD drive started vibrating and making a lot of noise. The installation speed of the game suddenly dropped and the entire OS started lagging. After I finally opened the task manager, i found that my CPU usage was maxed out. I stopped the installation and ejected the DVD. Later when I inserted the first DVD again to restart the installation, the DVD drive started vibrating again. It has been vibrating ever since. I've tried various DVD/CDs, but to no avail.

I searched on forums and found people saying that it might be a DMA issue. So, turning ON the DMA again should have worked, but i cant find the primary IDE channel inside Device Manager which everyone suggested. I've tried logging into admin account and looking into it, but i still cant find the option.

I've also had some forums tell that its an old technology and is discontinued in modern laptops. So now, i'm confused as to what to do.

submitted by /u/mrgk21
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mrgk21, Apr 2, 2020
  2. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Apr 2, 2020
  3. Joosujin Win User
    CD/DVD drive is not correctly displayed

All the resolutions listed under Method 1 apply to the cases when CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs. Fortunately, my drive is recognized by Windows and other programs. I tried all the step-by-step resolutions listed, but did not
    work. For some reason, my CD/DVD drive icon is not the right icon for the drive, and is for compact flash. Any idea?

I also reset my BIOS settings back to factory reset, but it did not help.

Joosujin, Apr 2, 2020
  4. CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop

CD/DVD Drive not recongnizing

Original title: Franks

Hi Franks,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to install the latest drivers for CD/DVD drive from the manufacturer’s website or can update the drivers by following the steps provided below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “devmgmt.msc”.
    • Right click on DVD/CD Roms from the list and select
      properties.
    • Under Driver tab click on Update button and follow the prompts to update the driver.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop

1. CD/DVD Drive sudden speed drop - Similar Threads - DVD Drive sudden

2. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  3. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  4. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Drive: Cannot get cd/dvd disc drive to be recognised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2738a7b0-563c-46a3-9a31-8aa6ce8c8e7d
  6. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  7. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  8. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  9. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...
  10. Sudden Internet Speed Drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden Internet Speed Drop: Hello. About 3 weeks ago I noticed I was getting between 40-60mb download, when my ISP package says 200mb. I was previously getting the full 200mb and then some. Technicians from my ISP came out, ran new cabling through the house and out to the pole, then tested it at the...