Windows 10: CD/DVD not Recognized

Discus and support CD/DVD not Recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TomMcCartney, Feb 4, 2021.

1. CD/DVD not Recognized

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is shown in the BIOS. When I go into device manager I see the CD/DVD. I then uninstalled the device, restarted the PC and it back in Device Manager, but still doesn't work. When I go into System Information the CD/DVD is shown, but it shows the drive as unavailable. Since the PC is fairly new and still under warranty Dell replaced the DVD/CD drive, but that didn't help. Dell is guessing is that the driver is corrupted and suggested I reload widows. Does anyone have an idea of a way to get the DVD/CD drive working without reloading Windows, all my programs and files. I takes me 2 days, which I don't have, to reload Windows, the programs, and my files.

:)

TomMcCartney, Feb 4, 2021

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

CD/DVD not Recognized [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Feb 4, 2021
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Joosujin Win User

CD/DVD not Recognized

CD/DVD drive is not correctly displayed

All the resolutions listed under Method 1 apply to the cases when CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs. Fortunately, my drive is recognized by Windows and other programs. I tried all the step-by-step resolutions listed, but did not
    work. For some reason, my CD/DVD drive icon is not the right icon for the drive, and is for compact flash. Any idea?

I also reset my BIOS settings back to factory reset, but it did not help.

Joosujin, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

CD/DVD not Recognized

1. CD/DVD not Recognized - Similar Threads - DVD Recognized

2. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Player NOT recognized: I recently built my own custom PC. I have been trying for the longest time to get my DVD's to play and to get the DVD drive to show up. I have verified that my HDMI cord was still good, I even went to the depths of getting a adapter where I can plug in the HDMI cord and It...
  3. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Player NOT recognized: I recently built my own custom PC. I have been trying for the longest time to get my DVD's to play and to get the DVD drive to show up. I have verified that my HDMI cord was still good, I even went to the depths of getting a adapter where I can plug in the HDMI cord and It...
  4. DVD Player NOT recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Exernal DVD Drive Not recognized anymore

Exernal DVD Drive Not recognized anymore: I plugged an external USB DVD drive into my Windows 11 Pro computer. The drive worked fine - however the mouse became very erratic while the external DVD drive was plugged in - making the entire computer very difficult to operate typical Windows behavior. So, I yanked the USB...
  6. Exernal DVD Drive Not recognized anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exernal DVD Drive Not recognized anymore: I plugged an external USB DVD drive into my Windows 11 Pro computer. The drive worked fine - however the mouse became very erratic while the external DVD drive was plugged in - making the entire computer very difficult to operate typical Windows behavior. So, I yanked the USB...
  7. I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. It will not recognize...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. It will not recognize...: I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. Bought an external but it will not recognize the external CD / DVD device.I have done everything the manufacturer Gotega advised me to do. I cannot find any driver downloads on here for CD / DVD devices at...
  8. I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. It will not recognize...

I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. It will not recognize...: I have an HP running Windows 11 and it has no internal CD / DVD. Bought an external but it will not recognize the external CD / DVD device.I have done everything the manufacturer Gotega advised me to do. I cannot find any driver downloads on here for CD / DVD devices at...
  9. How do I get my Lenovo IdeaPad w/windows 11 o recognize an external dvd player?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my Lenovo IdeaPad w/windows 11 o recognize an external dvd player?: IdeaPad s/n PF4NVJPM BIOS-HTCN34WW has no intewrnal dvd player. Can I connect an external dvd player if so how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-lenovo-ideapad-wwindows-11-o/a9fee969-3958-41f6-81bc-d452b51d319e
  10. How do I get my Lenovo IdeaPad w/windows 11 o recognize an external dvd player?

How do I get my Lenovo IdeaPad w/windows 11 o recognize an external dvd player?: IdeaPad s/n PF4NVJPM BIOS-HTCN34WW has no intewrnal dvd player. Can I connect an external dvd player if so how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-lenovo-ideapad-wwindows-11-o/a9fee969-3958-41f6-81bc-d452b51d319e