Windows 10: CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

Discus and support CD tray will not stay open - W10 only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Up until a couple of minutes ago this was going to be a plea for help. But I have just now fixed it, and I thought it may be useful for somebody,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rlh99, May 12, 2021.

1. rlh99 Win User

CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

Up until a couple of minutes ago this was going to be a plea for help. But I have just now fixed it, and I thought it may be useful for somebody, sometime... My main system is multi-boot; XP, W7, and just recently, W10. My generic (Lite-On iHAS124 F) CD/DVD drive has worked flawlessly under XP and W7 since I bought it ~5 years ago. After booting W10 it is possible to open the tray manually, or via the context menu in explorer, then load a disk and close the tray. Everything works normally until it is time to remove the disk. When I opened the tray by either method it would push the tray out fully, then instantly retract it again, treat it as a newly-loaded disk, and display the contents in explorer. The only non-violent way of removing the disk and/or loading a new one, was to reboot W10. Actually, that's not quite true, but the way around it was a real nuisance. I'll describe it if anyone asks, but I was more interested in making it work correctly. I might add that I had autorun completely disabled, plus every device option set to 'Take no action', but that made no difference. I figured that MS had screwed the pooch somehow, and I was going to have to try and make the old driver work in W10. I guess they have, because it works under XP/W7, but just before writing this post I realized that the SATA port that the CD was plugged into is driven by a GigaByte chip - it should work, SATA is SATA, right? - but I swapped it over onto one of the ports driven by the Intel chip, and lo, I now have a perfectly behaved CD. My MOBO is a GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P, but I guess there are lots more GB boards out there that could show similar symptoms. I hope this helps someone.

:)

rlh99, May 12, 2021

2. CD tray will not open

Short of buying a new laptop, is there a way to fix this problem?

You have several options:

• Straighten a paper clip, then push it into the small hole in the CD tray drawer. This will open the tray.
    • Create a shortcut like this one:
      nircmdc.exe cdrom open F:. NirCmd is freely downloadable.
    • Purchase a new CD tray from the distributor. They are easy to replace.
    • Replace the laptop.

Frederik Long, May 12, 2021
  3. cd tray not opening

I cant get my cd tray to open

staceypitts, May 12, 2021
  4. CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

CD tray will not open

My cd tray will not open to remove a cd. Short of buying a new laptop, is there a way to fix this problem?

* * Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

KittyCat360, May 12, 2021
Thema:

CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

1. CD tray will not stay open - W10 only - Similar Threads - tray stay open

2. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  3. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  4. how to open cd tray on a dell3020 desktop computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to open cd tray on a dell3020 desktop computer: how to open dell3020 cd tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-cd-tray-on-a-dell3020-desktop-computer/38cf46d9-04ba-470e-a365-018aeb5997c1
  5. how to open cd tray on a dell3020 desktop computer

how to open cd tray on a dell3020 desktop computer: how to open dell3020 cd tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-cd-tray-on-a-dell3020-desktop-computer/38cf46d9-04ba-470e-a365-018aeb5997c1
  6. File Explorer Randomly Opens The CD-DVD Tray

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Randomly Opens The CD-DVD Tray: I have an OLD Dell OptiPlex 745 (yeah, I know --- hopefully, you guys aren't laughing too hard) with Windows 10 installed, latest updates (06/27/2019), and the whole spiel. For some strange reason, occasionally a File Explorer dialog window pops up requesting a CD be inserted...
  7. CD/DVD tray will not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD tray will not open: Is it possible that this machines doesn't have a tray? I don't see it. Is there an other way to load software? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Andy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-tray-will-not-open/f66fca3f-9772-4984-ab8b-c5922012b944
  8. Apple's iTunes for Windows opens CD/DVD Drive tray on exit

Apple's iTunes for Windows opens CD/DVD Drive tray on exit: Apple probably calls this a feature...but apparently a lot of users of iTunes for Windows are seeing their CD/DVD drives open the tray every time they exit iTunes for Windows (including me). This started after either a recent Windows 10 update or an iTunes update (or maybe...
  9. How do I open the CD Tray in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I open the CD Tray in Windows 10?: The answer for Windows 7 does not work as Windows 10 does not have a "computer" link to access after hitting the Start button. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-cd-tray-in-windows-10/6f7812ad-548c-49bb-b3ea-ad4fc3fb57c7
  10. cd tray not opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cd tray not opening: I cant get my cd tray to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cd-tray-not-opening/20eb9a3f-c6d3-461e-9e76-1ebc21a94dca