Windows 10: CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

Discus and support CD tray will not stay open - W10 only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Up until a couple of minutes ago this was going to be a plea for help. But I have just now fixed it, and I thought it may be useful for somebody,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rlh99, May 12, 2021.

1. rlh99 Win User

CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

Up until a couple of minutes ago this was going to be a plea for help. But I have just now fixed it, and I thought it may be useful for somebody, sometime... My main system is multi-boot; XP, W7, and just recently, W10. My generic (Lite-On iHAS124 F) CD/DVD drive has worked flawlessly under XP and W7 since I bought it ~5 years ago. After booting W10 it is possible to open the tray manually, or via the context menu in explorer, then load a disk and close the tray. Everything works normally until it is time to remove the disk. When I opened the tray by either method it would push the tray out fully, then instantly retract it again, treat it as a newly-loaded disk, and display the contents in explorer. The only non-violent way of removing the disk and/or loading a new one, was to reboot W10. Actually, that's not quite true, but the way around it was a real nuisance. I'll describe it if anyone asks, but I was more interested in making it work correctly. I might add that I had autorun completely disabled, plus every device option set to 'Take no action', but that made no difference. I figured that MS had screwed the pooch somehow, and I was going to have to try and make the old driver work in W10. I guess they have, because it works under XP/W7, but just before writing this post I realized that the SATA port that the CD was plugged into is driven by a GigaByte chip - it should work, SATA is SATA, right? - but I swapped it over onto one of the ports driven by the Intel chip, and lo, I now have a perfectly behaved CD. My MOBO is a GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P, but I guess there are lots more GB boards out there that could show similar symptoms. I hope this helps someone.

:)

rlh99, May 12, 2021

2. CD tray will not open

Short of buying a new laptop, is there a way to fix this problem?

You have several options:

• Straighten a paper clip, then push it into the small hole in the CD tray drawer. This will open the tray.
    • Create a shortcut like this one:
      nircmdc.exe cdrom open F:. NirCmd is freely downloadable.
    • Purchase a new CD tray from the distributor. They are easy to replace.
    • Replace the laptop.

Frederik Long, May 12, 2021
  3. cd tray not opening

I cant get my cd tray to open

staceypitts, May 12, 2021
  4. CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

CD tray will not open

My cd tray will not open to remove a cd. Short of buying a new laptop, is there a way to fix this problem?

* * Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

KittyCat360, May 12, 2021
Thema:

CD tray will not stay open - W10 only

1. CD tray will not stay open - W10 only - Similar Threads - tray stay open

2. How to open cd tray? its a Lenovo Think Pad Amd A6

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to open cd tray? its a Lenovo Think Pad Amd A6: My tray is not opening, when I press it's button. Is there an internal command I could use to open it up? It is not jammed or broken. Thank you in advance....
  3. Vertical cd tray on HP Envy

Vertical cd tray on HP Envy: I have an HP Envy with windows 10. I want to insert a cd and can't figure out how to get the cd tray to open. The tray is vertical on this machine. I can open the "drawer" but have no idea how to get the tray to open. How do I get this thing to open so I can insert a cd?...
  4. File Explorer Randomly Opens The CD-DVD Tray

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Randomly Opens The CD-DVD Tray: I have an OLD Dell OptiPlex 745 (yeah, I know --- hopefully, you guys aren't laughing too hard) with Windows 10 installed, latest updates (06/27/2019), and the whole spiel. For some strange reason, occasionally a File Explorer dialog window pops up requesting a CD be inserted...
  5. open a cd

open a cd: how do I open a cd on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-a-cd/0c45778f-dbb7-4bcb-8841-24b0a7e9a1c8
  6. CD/DVD tray will not open

CD/DVD tray will not open: Is it possible that this machines doesn't have a tray? I don't see it. Is there an other way to load software? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Andy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-tray-will-not-open/f66fca3f-9772-4984-ab8b-c5922012b944
  7. Apple's iTunes for Windows opens CD/DVD Drive tray on exit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apple's iTunes for Windows opens CD/DVD Drive tray on exit: Apple probably calls this a feature...but apparently a lot of users of iTunes for Windows are seeing their CD/DVD drives open the tray every time they exit iTunes for Windows (including me). This started after either a recent Windows 10 update or an iTunes update (or maybe...
  8. How do I open the CD Tray in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I open the CD Tray in Windows 10?: The answer for Windows 7 does not work as Windows 10 does not have a "computer" link to access after hitting the Start button. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-cd-tray-in-windows-10/6f7812ad-548c-49bb-b3ea-ad4fc3fb57c7
  9. cd tray not opening

cd tray not opening: I cant get my cd tray to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cd-tray-not-opening/20eb9a3f-c6d3-461e-9e76-1ebc21a94dca
  10. Opening CD's

Opening CD's: I'm trying to install my favorite games but when I put in a CD on my laptop nothing happens. How can I get them to open with Windows 10? 25049