Windows 10: CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed...

Discus and support CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [ATTACH] D DProgrammes x86 DEF I don't know when it started, and deleting files becomes slow.At first I thought the computer was slow after using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chaoyuli, Mar 29, 2020.

1. chaoyuli Win User

CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed...

CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed... 5a5278b3-8849-434f-9f29-4b8a442a13fb?upload=true.png

D

DProgrammes x86

DEF

I don't know when it started, and deleting files becomes slow.At first I thought the computer was slow after using it for a long time, but later I found that the recycle bin actually reached the D drive; but I did nothing.
    The Programmes x86 folder even appeared on the D drive, which made me look awkward.

As shown in the figure, there is a lock on D disk, but E disk and F disk do not.

:)

chaoyuli, Mar 29, 2020

2. how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Win 10 Parallel Installation - Win 8.1 in C: Drive & Win 10 in D: Drive

You can do this but it is a little trickier. Here is my advice:

• If I understand correctly, you have 2 partitions at this moment: a drive C were your current windows resides and a drive D, probably with your files (this is also my setup)
    • The first step will be to create a partition for Windows 10 (cut part of drive D). You can do this in disk manager. If you don't know how, please ask and I will give you the details
    • Create a system image of your current Windows
    • Upgrade your current Windows to Windows 10 (you cannot skip this part if you want the free upgrade)
    • Restore your previous Windows to it's current location (partition)
    • Do a clean install of Windows 10 in the partition you reserved in step 2
    Windows 10 will see that you have another windows installation and add it to the boot manager. At this point you will be able to boot both Windows versions

Andrei V., Mar 29, 2020
  4. CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed...

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed...

1. CDWhy does drive C and D become system disks at the same time? I obviously only installed... - Similar Threads - CDWhy does drive

2. Every file in my C and D drive has become Read Only. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every file in my C and D drive has become Read Only. What can I do?: I only found out about this after my games on Steam wouldn't update because of "disk read error". I checked Files and found every folder was Read Only. Every time I unchecked the Read Only option, it just came back. I've tried messing with Security but nothing has worked....
  3. Every file in my C and D drive has become Read Only. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every file in my C and D drive has become Read Only. What can I do?: I only found out about this after my games on Steam wouldn't update because of "disk read error". I checked Files and found every folder was Read Only. Every time I unchecked the Read Only option, it just came back. I've tried messing with Security but nothing has worked....
  4. Every file in my C and D drive has become Read Only. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C: and D: drive/Disk management

C: and D: drive/Disk management: Hi, I am having problems with my C: and D: drives. I know little about computers, and I've been trying to solve this on my own for 2 days now. I want to merge C: drive 222 GB using D: drive 1.81 TB, but the problem is that C: is on Disk 1 while D: is on Disk 0. I don't think...
  6. Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management: Greetings Folks, Dang I tried to answer this without bothering you. Watched a bunch of YouTube vids but no one had my situation. [img] This PC shipped with a D drive partition on the C drive. I turned it into unallocated space but when I right click my C to import that...
  7. Disk 0 partition 5 becomes drive D: after drive C: extension

Disk 0 partition 5 becomes drive D: after drive C: extension: I wanted to extend my C: drive, so I shrunk my D: and used AOMEI Partition Assistant to move the unallocated partition from D: beside C: and merge them. So far everything has worked well, except for the fact that disk 0 partition 5, whose position I moved using AOMEI in order...
  8. C: Disk and D: Disk

C: Disk and D: Disk: I recently got a new computer running on Windows 10 which is awesome but there is something I wanna change and I don't know how. So, my problem is the download and save paths with the quick access folders. Downloads was set on default to save to the C: Drive, so I went into...
  9. Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive: Because my C drive has limited space, Ive been trying to change all settings of storage to my D drive. However, whenever trying to install a new program, it tries to be downloaded on the C drive still as the program requires to be downloaded on the 'system drive'. I also...
  10. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...