Windows 10: CE character encoding in Notepad

Discus and support CE character encoding in Notepad in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mikolajek, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mikolajek Win User

CE character encoding in Notepad

I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to.

Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my location. Now it's all nice in terms of apps interface, as it's always English. Most programs cause no problems with one exception - Notepad... *Sad

Whenever I open a txt file with Polish national characters, I see "bushes" instead of them. I tried to open them as UFT-8 encoded, but it hasn't helped. I've changed Notepad default font into CE encoding - no effect.

I tend to believe the default Notepad encoding is set to westerns somewhere, but I can't figure where to look for the appropriate setting - can anyone advise me on how to change it, so txt files displayed correctly?

:)

mikolajek, Jan 10, 2016
  2. mikolajek Win User

Anyone can help, please?

mikolajek, Jan 10, 2016
  3. CE character encoding in Notepad

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• Does it happen only with a single file or all files?
    I would like to inform you that whatever coding the file is saved using notepad, it will be in the same way while opening it, or the last font or setting used in notepad.

There is no specific setting to change the file or see a particular character in polish.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance, we are happy to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 10, 2016
Thema:

1. CE character encoding in Notepad - Similar Threads - character encoding Notepad

2. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  3. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  4. Notepad bug with encoding auto-detection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad bug with encoding auto-detection: I found an interesting mis-behavior of notepad.Try creating two files.Put any kind of Japanese character in them to make one file just below 1024B and one file above 1024B can be any size. You can use the same characters in both files.For example, you can do it with the...
  5. AutoCorrect changing CE to Ce

in Windows 10 Customization
    AutoCorrect changing CE to Ce: Hi - the Microsoft autocorrect feature systematically changes "CE" to "Ce", regardless of where this is located in the word. This is an abbreviation I use often, and I want it to stay as "CE". I could even be typing the word "DECEMBER" in caps, Windows changes it to...
  6. How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to change the default character encoding in Notepad in Windows 10, […] This article How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. notepad option save as encoding - unicode - does not exist anymore

notepad option save as encoding - unicode - does not exist anymore: I used to have the option to save files in notepad as unicode. I upgraded to Windows 10, Microsoft365 and the option is completely gone. All I have is ANSI, and a few UTF options. Any suggestions? Moved from: Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Family...
  8. Change the default encoding for saving MS-Notepad files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the default encoding for saving MS-Notepad files: The default is always UTF-8 What should I do? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-encoding-for-saving-ms-notepad/a140e14e-5ea2-4595-a56c-c211de1712e5
  9. Unreadable non-ANSI characters in Notepad

Unreadable non-ANSI characters in Notepad: The problem: People living in countries, with languages including non-ANSI characters and want a full English Windows environment. If the user sets the System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs) to the country they live in, then many apps will check this setting and...
  10. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad: Have you tried wordpad? Yes he did (HERE)