Windows 10: Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer

Discus and support Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks for those that like running various Linux VM's CENTOS rel 8 is now available both as a "stable" and a "rolling release" CentOS 8 Release... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 5, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer

Hi folks

for those that like running various Linux VM's CENTOS rel 8 is now available both as a "stable" and a "rolling release"

CentOS 8 Release Date - New Features & Download Links

For the rolling release use the stream version.

Easy to install with VMWare -- just use the downloaded iso, and ===>boot to firmware and choose the iso.

WKS menu has boot to firmware -- for VMPlayer users you need to "poodlefake the menu" so edit the .vmx file (it's the VM configuration file for that specific VM if unsure what the .vmx file is) with a text editor and add the line

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE".

If this line already exists change the FALSE to TRUE.

note this changes it (on Vmplayer) back to false again after one boot so to repeat you need to change it again for next boot to firmware.

also to give you more time at boot options add this line to the .vmx file

bios.bootDelay = "xxxx"

"xxxx" is time in millisecs.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 5, 2019

2. Can not detect windows 10 after installing centos 7

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for valuable response.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    I have no idea how to see that, & since i have only centos 7, it is not easy to find solution on it despite looking for google. Please let me know how to see that?..

still what i know is :

-Laptop model: Sony SVF15218

-Processor : Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz x 4

-OS type : 64-bit OS(Both Centos 7 & Win 10)

-Graphics : Intel Ivybrigde Mobile & NVIDIA GT740M

-HDD : 500 GB

-RAM : 4 GB

• Since when are you using the dual boot?
    -I had windows 10 as as a single for almost 2 years. For study purpose i had to install linux (near suited to Red hate), i choose Centos 7 as it is free.

-I installed Centos 7 on 2nd January 2016.

-At that time i get help from google & successfully dual-boot as windows 10 shows as windows boot manager & centos. (I can switch between them any time from grub menu.)

- Due to lack of wifi adapter in centos, while installing packages something went wrong & i had very limited access to centos, so reinstalled centos 7 around 15 days after successful dual-boot(18th Jan) (performed same steps to install as i did the first
    time) & since then my in the grub menu i can only see centos.

-I tried install centos 7 2-3 time after tha to see windows in grub menu, & i testes/altered almost everything in centos but found out that my windows is somehow not detected by grub.

• Did you check in msconfig regarding the boot menus, are you getting both the Windows and Linux Boot loader menus?
    - Since i am using linux i have no idea how to do in windows.

- But i played with centos's grub menu lot of time since missing windows bot manager in grub i am (99%) sure that there is something wrong with windows grub detection.

Hope i find solution soon...

Thank you...

Utsav D. H.Bhatt, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Upgrading to Windows 10 on Dual boot Windows 7 with CentOS 6.5

I have Windows 7 installed alongside CentOS6.5. I have applied for free upgrade to Windows 10. Will my CentOS 6.5 partition remain as it is and I will be able to boot into CentOS 6.5? There is enough space for Windows 10 to get installed on hard drive.
    But I am worried about CentOS 6.5. My machine had originally Windows 8. But I had a very tough time installing CentOS 6.5. I had to remove Windows 8, install Windows 7 and then only CntOS 6.5 could install. Will Windows 10 treat CentOS 6.5 the same way as
    Windows 8?

AshokKumar Harnal, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer

Can not detect windows 10 after installing centos 7

Sorry for the late reply as i am currently working on centos 7, i do not wish that it gets lost during windows recovery process.

• How many drives are you able to see in the Linux explorer?
    Yes, i can see 2 windows hard-disk partition Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer :)c - 146 GB, :d -150GB) from linux & i can access both of them at any moment from linux.

• Do you have Windows 10 installation disc with you?
    I do not windows 8/8.1/10 dvd, but i backup dvd as 3 dvd that can restore my windows 8 (officially came when i purchased sony laptop) as when i want, bu the problem it takes 5-6 hours to install & since it will master reset my harddisk every-time i do. Doing
    so will definately remove my cent os.

The further problem is when win 8 it upgrade to 8.1, it will again reset grub menu & so does from 8.1 to 10. So, every-time i might/will have to repeat installation of either os. & that i definately do not want.

I hope this steps will not remove my current working os centos 7 in the process.

I will update here once i do the steps.

Utsav D. H.Bhatt, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer

1. Centos rel 8 available - and boot into firmware vmplayer - Similar Threads - Centos rel available

2. Removing CentOS Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing CentOS Dual Boot: Hello! I have a Dell Precision 3551, which I dual booted to run CentOS 8 with Windows 10. Now that I don't need Linux, I needed to remove the dual boot. I deleted the partition and created Windows 10 installation media on a USB. BUT... After booting to my USB, going to...
  3. Intel NUC Firmware Vulnerability Advisory - Oct. 8

in Windows 10 News
    Intel NUC Firmware Vulnerability Advisory - Oct. 8: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00296 Advisory Category: Firmware Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege, Denial of Service, Information Disclosure Severity rating: HIGH Original release: 10/08/2019 Last revised: 10/08/2019 Summary: Potential security vulnerabilities in system...
  4. Intel NUC Firmware Security Advisory - Jan. 8

in Windows 10 News
    Intel NUC Firmware Security Advisory - Jan. 8: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00144 Advisory Category: Firmware Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: MEDIUM Original release: 01/08/2018 Last revised: 01/08/2018 Summary: A potential security vulnerability in system firmware for Intel® NUC may allow...
  5. vmware wks 11 / vmplayer 7 No 3d available from Host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    vmware wks 11 / vmplayer 7 No 3d available from Host: running W10 as a GUEST on VMware WKS 11 / vmplayer 7 message is no 3d support from Host. However the VM seems to work perfectly and I'm not getting as far as I can see any degradation on graphics --play an old game like spider solitaire - if the card movements are jerky then...
  6. W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!

W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!: deleted - updated in another thread 3451
  7. Vmware update (workstation) 12..5.5 + vmplayer available

Vmware update (workstation) 12..5.5 + vmplayer available: Hi there VMware users an update both for Windows and Linux hosts is available - workstation 12.5.5 Cheers jimbo 80414
  8. Note VMPLAYER R7 and WKS Rel 11 need 64 Bit HOST OS'es

Note VMPLAYER R7 and WKS Rel 11 need 64 Bit HOST OS'es: Hi there Just a note to people thinking of upgrading to vmplayer rel 7o r Workstation 11. These require the HOST OS to be 64 bit - whether the host is WINDOWS or LINUX. The older releases - player rel 6 and Workstation 10 can still run on 32 bit machines. Some of you...
  9. Will VMPlayer be safe to use

Will VMPlayer be safe to use: I have a spare copy of Windows 8.0 Pro I installed it under VMPlayer and it worked just fine I then installed windows 10 tech preview build 9841 and it seemed to work until I shut it down and then later started it back up. I came up with the splash screen and asking for my...
  10. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is centos 8.1 secure boot ready