Windows 10: Certain apps remove Win10 volume control

Discus and support Certain apps remove Win10 volume control in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This problem was first noticed playing Ubisoft's Skyrim: all volume control via taskbar is lost as long as the program is producing audio output, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PaulTraficante, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Certain apps remove Win10 volume control

This problem was first noticed playing Ubisoft's Skyrim: all volume control via taskbar is lost as long as the program is producing audio output, which in the case of this game is as long as the game retains focus. Bringing a different program (or the desktop) to the foreground returns volume control. This is an older program, relatively speaking, and so I paid the problem no heed. I never lose ability to control volume through my audio receiver.

However, I recently installed the Netflix app from the Microsoft Store (so as to avoid using a browser for access), and I've been struck with the same problem: as long as the Netflix app is producing audio output (in this case: as long as anything is streaming, focused or not), I cannot control the volume of anything through normal interfaces - not the Netflix app nor the taskbar (despite all sliders both showing and animating response to my input). As soon as the Netflix app stops streaming and returns to just browsing selections, all volume control return to normal.

What is the common thread between how these programs utilize the audio streams of Windows 10 Pro (1803) which appears to be the root of this issue?

Moved from: Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

:)

PaulTraficante, Aug 28, 2018

2. No separate Volume Control for Win10 Apps?

So, back in the days of running Win7, I could open the Sound Mixer, and every program I would open had its own individualized Volume Level Setting that I could adjust the way I wanted. When I went to Win8, and now Win10, I found that Apps obtained through
    the Windows Store did not receive an individual Volume Level Setting. I'd be happy if it was at least covered under a blanket Volume Level Setting under the "Windows Store App" type of label, but it is not, instead, it is only able to be adjusted by lowering
    the Main Volume Control.

Does someone know if there is a way to change this, or are we going to need Microsoft to release an update to the Volume Control system first?

ChadKameda, Aug 28, 2018
  3. volume control error

Hi Akash,

The issue with volume control could have happened due to the corrupted or outdated driver. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the 2 methods below:

Method 1: Run the Audio Troubleshooter on the system.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. We would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key+X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view as an option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2. Uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Anthony Gal, Aug 28, 2018
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Certain apps remove Win10 volume control

Wishing to lock volume control as an administrator

Hello,

You can use Family Safety to monitor the accessed websites, search history, and the apps and games they're opening. Currently, there is no way to control the volume of your device through Family Safety. However, we'd like to suggest in hiding the volume
    control from the taskbar. Here's how you can do this:

• Press Windows key on your keyboard or click Start.
    • On the Cortana search box, type Taskbar Settings and click the result.
    • Under Notification area, click Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Turn Off the toggle for Volume.
    • Verify that the volume is removed from the taskbar.

Let us know if you were able to hide the volume control.

Ian Ser, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

Certain apps remove Win10 volume control

1. Certain apps remove Win10 volume control - Similar Threads - Certain apps remove

2. Volume control

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume control: Can I move my sound button in Windows 11 so it pops up alone with one click? When I click on the volume, another screen pops up with another sound button and a button to brighten the screen. This requires two clicks to turn something down or up. The screen brightener should...
  3. Movies and TV App Max volume bypasses app and system volume control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies and TV App Max volume bypasses app and system volume control: Notes: Drivers updated and all Windows trouble shooting procedures already done. If you suggest this, you are useless. The app is broken. Fix it.I highly expect a boxed "try running the trouble shooting" drivers blah blah blah . already did this. Please don't disappoint me...
  4. Movies and TV App Max volume bypasses app and system volume control

Movies and TV App Max volume bypasses app and system volume control: Notes: Drivers updated and all Windows trouble shooting procedures already done. If you suggest this, you are useless. The app is broken. Fix it.I highly expect a boxed "try running the trouble shooting" drivers blah blah blah . already did this. Please don't disappoint me...
  5. Volume control

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume control: I am unable to mute the volume control button. Can you help? Thanks. Ann Rice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control/5617587a-1010-4fb5-8506-ec72b280c74b
  6. Volume Control

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume Control: I don't know why, but while I was away for a few days, I lost my ability to control my volume from the volume icon on the right side of my task bar. How do I restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control/c426c29f-bed4-4526-9583-cbd7c92b3868
  7. volume control

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    volume control: Have windows 10 , works great except cannot increase audio sound which compounds my hearing problem. This happened fairly recently regardless of what I watch .Troubleshoot reports no problems to fix . The computer is ten years old...
  8. Volume control

Volume control: i can control the volume when using earbuds with my phone but I can’t control volume when using my smart tv. It always stays on loud. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control/49e4fa13-ecba-4864-a2c2-490294a0b87c
  9. Certain apps remove Win10 volume control

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain apps remove Win10 volume control: This problem was first noticed playing Ubisoft's Skyrim: all volume control via taskbar is lost as long as the program is producing audio output, which in the case of this game is as long as the game retains focus. Bringing a different program (or the desktop) to the...
  10. volume control

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    volume control: volume control on taskbar won't work any longer. can;t right click it either https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/volume-control/47395294-f39d-4d4a-bc6e-175d3248ae71