Windows 10: Certain buttons on keyboard not working

Discus and support Certain buttons on keyboard not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I've just bought a new gaming laptop, and I noticed certain buttons are not working. From what I can see so far, its only the Tab, Caps Lock... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TeneilleZangari, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Certain buttons on keyboard not working

Hello,

I've just bought a new gaming laptop, and I noticed certain buttons are not working.

From what I can see so far, its only the Tab, Caps Lock and the number 1 at the top of my keyboard that are not responding when pressed.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I have updated my computer, so im not sure what else there is to do.

:)

TeneilleZangari, Jan 3, 2021

2. Certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly.

Hi Russell,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly on the pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• Have you performed a full pc virus scan on the system recently?

Suggest you to launch the on-screen keyboard to check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system.
    These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    Keyboard Not working in Windows 10

Hi,

We would suggest you to update your keyboard driver. To update your keyboard driver, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button, type "device manager" in the search box, and then select Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, look for Keyboards and then double-click it.
    • Click on the Keyboard tab and choose Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Ralphvigg Win User

Certain buttons on keyboard not working

Extra keyboard buttons not working with certain programs

I have a new computer running windows 10 and i got a nice keyboard. The keyboard has 8 extra buttons on the sides- a music-app shortcut, play/pause (works with itunes), volume buttons, etc.

They all work great and everything, but while in certain programs/games, they dont do anything. Not even the volume buttons. Keeping in mind they work just fine in some programs, as well as my desktop and stuff.

Im wondering if theres something in the programs that are blocking the keys, or if its something i can change in my computer's settings. Thanks

Ralphvigg, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Certain buttons on keyboard not working

1. Certain buttons on keyboard not working - Similar Threads - Certain buttons keyboard

2. Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts: I have a problem with my windows button. I usually use the windows button with the right or left arrow to split my screen but it does not work anymore and so does my the screenshot function Windows Button +print screen. So I thought that my Windows button was totally gone....
  3. Keyboard not working in certain places

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working in certain places: So I upgraded to windows 11 2 days ago and my keyboard does not want to work in the windows search, file explorer, settings and Minecraft windows edition I have tried so many solutions now and I've even tried another keyboard... I don't know what else to do...
  4. Keyboard not working in certain places

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard not working in certain places: So I upgraded to windows 11 2 days ago and my keyboard does not want to work in the windows search, file explorer, settings and Minecraft windows edition I have tried so many solutions now and I've even tried another keyboard... I don't know what else to do...
  5. Certain keys on keyboard not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain keys on keyboard not working: Certain keys on the keyboard stopped working, I recently got a new K602 Keyboard, All of the keys used to work howerver certain keys stopped working I think it may have something to do with drivers,[ATTACH]...
  6. Keyboard not working in certain situations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard not working in certain situations: As the title states I've had issues with my keyboard not registering in lock screen to prompt me to put in my password and even at search. After I looked up this problem I discovered that some other users had similar experiences back in 2015 but no solution came from that...
  7. Certain keys on keyboard not working

Certain keys on keyboard not working: Only keys like 9, 0, o, j, n not working while the rest still works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-on-keyboard-not-working/26b953e3-de17-464c-b1d6-b07212a046bc
  8. Keyboard not working in certain programs

Keyboard not working in certain programs: My laptop keyboard doesn’t work in some parts. For example when trying to type in my wifi password nothing happens, when trying to type in windows search or passwords in any apps. It works fine in browsers and everywhere else but whenever I’m trying to put a password...
  9. certain keyboard buttons not working acer extensa 15

certain keyboard buttons not working acer extensa 15: hi pg up/down,home /end keys not working although single up/downand lateral keys do function. any ideas? Acer extensa 15 Win 10 cheers i 1in fact pushing end button at this point encourages the following numerical response111111...
  10. Keyboard not working in certain areas

Keyboard not working in certain areas: Hey computer savvy people My dad's wireless keyboard has decided to stop working but only in some areas of his windows 10 computer. It's now working in the search bar on windows home screen, internet explorer, searching in settings It does however work in firefox, word...