Windows 10: Certain .exe files refuse to start

Discus and support Certain .exe files refuse to start in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem where certain, not all .exe files refuse to boot. What happens is I start them up and then nothing happens. When I check in task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Xochitl and Nick V., Nov 26, 2019.

1. Certain .exe files refuse to start

I have a problem where certain, not all .exe files refuse to boot. What happens is I start them up and then nothing happens. When I check in task manager, the process is there for a couple of seconds and then disappears. This doesn't happen with all .exe files, as many still work and update like they normally should, but these .exe files have not only been previously compatible with my computer, they worked as intended. I'm not sure what has happened.

Solutions I have tried are:

-Disabling Smartscreen, Firewall and Windows Defender (I don't have any other anti-virus present on the system)

-Going into Regedit and changing the data of the default string of exe and exefile to "%1"%*

And lastly I have un-installed and re-installed all the .exe files that are troublesome and re-started my computer.

Here are the specs and version of windows my computer has.

Certain .exe files refuse to start 42e5d2dc-27c6-4004-9e70-3bcb9f7c71f3?upload=true.png Certain .exe files refuse to start be305e74-2b4c-4b72-93c2-532d688fb049?upload=true.png

One last tidbit: The hard drive was taken from an HP p6727, everything else was built

:)

Xochitl and Nick V., Nov 26, 2019

2. Certain .EXE files wont start

Hi all,

I have a random problem.

Ive noticed recently that certain .exe files will not start after trying to run them. Nothing will happen. When I go to the task manager however, I will see them listed as running. The funny thing is, is that there are other .exe files that have no issue
    and install just fine. Im really at a loss.

For example, my Vive setup installer wont run but I have no issue installing Autodesk products. Also, my battlenet x86 wont run either! Im beginning to think its regulated 32bit programs as the Vive setup appears to be 32 bit.....

Ive tried modifying the registry, scanning for viruses, doing a system file check but everything seems fine.

Im running windows 10

Anybody have any similar issues?

THANKS

-Nick

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

NicholasEscalante, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Certain .exe files will not open

Hello! I have a slightly odd problem. Certain .exe files (seemingly ones that don't require an install to run) on my laptop refuse to open, responding to different commands in different ways.

When I first run them, I get a SmartScreen Filter alert. After pressing 'Run Anyway' (scans reveal them to be safe), they will appear to begin to load, but never actually open. This happens every time I try to open them subsequently, although without the SmartScreen alert. I can close the container folder and try again.

If I try to Run as Administrator, however, the folder freezes entirely. I can use other folders, but it takes a File Explorer restart to make the crashed instance disappear. I have tried deleting one of these applications after attempting to open it, and not been allowed to until a full restart, implying they are running constantly after I attempt to start them.

I had assumed this was a problem with SmartScreen, but even after turning it off, the problem persists.

Most other .exe files do work (regedit, games downloaded from Steam, etc.), so I can't understand what's making this small set of files unable to load. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

2plus2isjoe, Nov 26, 2019
  4. prarial Win User

Certain .exe files refuse to start

Impossible to starts some exe files!

hello everyone,

I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success.
    Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some!
    i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ,
    but no better results.
    I have scanned my laptop for virus or malwares, and its clean.
    for example i want start Acronis, then win10 say cant find the file even so i try to start it directly from the exe file!
    same if i want to start ACDSee and some others applications.

For others files its perfectly ok, like AVG PCtune; Malwarebytes, Microsoft Office and so many others.

I have also tried to install again the sotware which doesnt start but it is the same.

Some people suggested that possibly a dll have been modified, but how to find out?
    I hope someone will be able to help me as my next step would be to fully reinstall windows and all applications.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

prarial, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Certain .exe files refuse to start

1. Certain .exe files refuse to start - Similar Threads - Certain exe files

2. I cannot install certain .exe files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot install certain .exe files in Windows 10: Can anyone please help? I cannot install certain Logitech files e.g. SetPoint6.70.55_64.exe and Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750-Set-Point-driver-for-Windows-64-bit.exe. However, I CAN install other .exe files such as unifying250.exe and Options_8.54.161.exe.I am running...
  3. Opening certain .exe files

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening certain .exe files: So im currently trying to expand my knowledge of windows 10 by opening and reading files like the winlogon.exe or lsass.exe files. When i right click to open in notepad i am not given an option to do so and when i run "type lsass.exe" in command prompt it displays gibberish...
  4. .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts: Spent yesterday trying to get Win 10 v. 2004 working. Finally gave up & reverted to v. 1909. Everything seems to work, except for a couple of applications that don't start - instead a "Windows Installer" window opens with the message "Preparing to install", while the...
  5. Computer refuses to open .exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer refuses to open .exe files: Out of nowhere my computer has stopped opening .exe files and instead a pop up appears reading (file name)-Bad Image C:\Windows\System32\msdmo.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. I first noticed this when trying to open the Ubisoft game...
  6. EXE files wont start

EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  7. Impossible to starts some exe files!

Impossible to starts some exe files!: hello everyone, I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success. Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some! i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in...
  8. Certain .exe files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Certain .exe files will not open: Hello! I have a slightly odd problem. Certain .exe files (seemingly ones that don't require an install to run) on my laptop refuse to open, responding to different commands in different ways. When I first run them, I get a SmartScreen Filter alert. After pressing 'Run...
  9. Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts: Hello, To be able to use custom tiles on the Start Menu, I make .bat files of .exe files to use them as shortcuts to launch the .exe files. I make the .bat file by opening Notepad, pasting the directory path of the .exe file in quotes, and then save it as a .bat file. This...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594